Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 305

Thread: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

  1. #111
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-24-13 @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    64

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    The reason I, a former illegal alien, have a problem with this law is because it is unnecessary . Why cant Arizona use existing federal law to do the same thing they are doing now? Why have the same law twice. Why alienate 99% of the hispanic population and many of our african-american and caucasian friends for a bull**** law. Instead repeal this piece of **** law and work within existing law or better yet comprehensive immigration reform and border security. No, Arizona, this is not the way to do it.
    Last edited by Vic Mango; 05-13-10 at 03:15 AM. Reason: grammar

  2. #112
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mango View Post
    The reason I, a former illegal alien, have a problem with this law is because it is unnecessary . Why cant Arizona use existing federal law to do the same thing they are doing now? Why have the same law twice. Why alienate 99% of the hispanic population and many of our african-american and caucasian friends for a bull**** law. Instead repeal this piece of **** law and work within existing law or better yet comprehensive immigration reform and border security. No, Arizona, this is not the way to do it.
    If the law does nothing new, then neither you nor anyone else should be complaining. If it does expand the state's authority, then there's a reason for the law.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #113
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-24-13 @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    64

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    If the law does nothing new, then neither you nor anyone else should be complaining. If it does expand the state's authority, then there's a reason for the law.
    I am complaining because I feel it violates my 4th and 14th amendment rights and possibly my 5th if I am forced to answer any questions. And No Sir, there is no reason for this law. There are already laws that would allow an officer to question suspected illegal aliens. This law expands the police's authority too much and makes government bigger.

  4. #114
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mango View Post
    I am complaining because I feel it violates my 4th and 14th amendment rights and possibly my 5th if I am forced to answer any questions. And No Sir, there is no reason for this law. There are already laws that would allow an officer to question suspected illegal aliens. This law expands the police's authority too much and makes government bigger.
    Oh, don't get them wrong...So-called "conservatives" LOVE expanding government when it doesn't infringe upon THEIR rights.

    As long as it infringes upon the rights of women and minorities, they're fine with it.

  5. #115
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mango View Post
    The reason I, a former illegal alien, have a problem with this law is because it is unnecessary . Why cant Arizona use existing federal law to do the same thing they are doing now? Why have the same law twice. Why alienate 99% of the hispanic population and many of our african-american and caucasian friends for a bull**** law. Instead repeal this piece of **** law and work within existing law or better yet comprehensive immigration reform and border security. No, Arizona, this is not the way to do it.
    You realize how stupid that sounds? The FED isnt enforcing FED law requiring investigation and ultimately deportation of illegal immigrnats...but the state SHOULDNT...instead the state should enforce federal law which does what the new state law says it does...and THEN it wouldnt be racist...

    INS investigating illegals and detaining/deporting...NOT racist or biased.
    AZ officers investigating illegals and detaining/deporting (because the fed hasnt and/or wont)...that IS racist...

    why again??? Oh yeah...because they are actually working to RESOLVE a problem the fed has abandoned.

  6. #116
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mango View Post
    I am complaining because I feel it violates my 4th and 14th amendment rights and possibly my 5th if I am forced to answer any questions. And No Sir, there is no reason for this law. There are already laws that would allow an officer to question suspected illegal aliens. This law expands the police's authority too much and makes government bigger.
    Really? If you commit a criminal act you are saying there is some constitutional proitection preventing a cop from askingn to see your ID? So, is it a violation of your consitutional protections to produce a drivers license when driving? An ID card when cashing a check or using a credit card? Or when travelling? And if it is the fed (INS) asking the question you wouldnt still be required to produce ID?

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Illegals have a $1bn yearly impact on Arizona. Let's see what it does to Arizona's slow growing, recession hit economy.

  8. #118
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Oh, don't get them wrong...So-called "conservatives" LOVE expanding government when it doesn't infringe upon THEIR rights.

    As long as it infringes upon the rights of women and minorities, they're fine with it.
    Living in a state with an estimated 400 to 600 thousand illegal immigrants with over 1000 new arriving every day sort of mandates enforcement of those existing laws...wouldnt you say? So if it was the fed enforcing the existing law, you would have no problem with that...right? Truth be told...the citizens of Az would probably greatly agree.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Really? If you commit a criminal act you are saying there is some constitutional proitection preventing a cop from askingn to see your ID? So, is it a violation of your consitutional protections to produce a drivers license when driving? An ID card when cashing a check or using a credit card? Or when travelling? And if it is the fed (INS) asking the question you wouldnt still be required to produce ID?
    He is talking about Article 8, section B of the SB1070 (the immigration bill) that states:

    A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, WITHOUT A WARRANT, MAY ARREST A PERSON IF THE OFFICER HAS PROBABLE CAUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THE PERSON HAS COMMITTED ANY PUBLIC OFFENSE THAT MAKES THE PERSON REMOVABLE FROM THE UNITED STATES.
    Fourth Amendment:
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

  10. #120
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Los Angeles to boycott Arizona over immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mango View Post
    I am complaining because I feel it violates my 4th and 14th amendment rights and possibly my 5th if I am forced to answer any questions. And No Sir, there is no reason for this law. There are already laws that would allow an officer to question suspected illegal aliens. This law expands the police's authority too much and makes government bigger.
    Think about what you're saying here:

    1) The law is completely unconstitutional because it violates my rights by giving the police all sorts of powers they didn't have before

    and

    2) The law is completely pointless because the police could already do this before.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •