Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 305

Thread: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

  1. #81
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Yes, we are against any form of religion in the square regardless of creed or denomination because it doesn't belong there.
    I always find it curious that some people seem to need government affirmation of their faith. It must be a pretty weak faith if you need your local courthouse to affirm it for you.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  2. #82
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    I always find it curious that some people seem to need government affirmation of their faith. It must be a pretty weak faith if you need your local courthouse to affirm it for you.
    The most ironic thing about it is that they do not see themselves as the Pharisees that they are that Christ himself called out their hypocracy.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #83
    Advisor TheHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-17-13 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    551

    Re: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Yes, we are against any form of religion in the square regardless of creed or denomination because it doesn't belong there.
    People are free to sponsors their own individual worship ceremonies and I fully support the rights of churches to practice freely.

    That said, our Constitution requires the government to remain religion neutral.
    No it does not. The Constitution, the 1st Amendment, does not bar the government from having pray services of 1 type or another. The 1st Amendment, was written so that Congress can't create a National Church, like the one our founders left called the Church of England. That is what that meant. If it meant that you can't say a prayer at a government funded meeting, then how the hell does Congress say a prayer in the House and Senate every damn day?

    Saying a prayer is not endorsing a national religion. So therefore its perfectly within the realm of these people at this meeting to say a 30 second prayer before eating.

    It has nothing to do with being weak minded. It has nothing to do with sticking a thumb in governments eye. Its none of that crap alot of people on this thread have said it is.

    Ever heard of FCA in public schools? Fellowship of Christian Athletes? How come they are allowed in public schools? Isn't that endorsing religion? You got to understand what the 1st Amendment means, history wise, before you just start throwing around a phrase that was written 30 years after the Constitution was put in place and that phrase is "Seperation of Church and State".

    That phrase, has no bearing on the 1st Amendment as it is nowhere to be found within it. It was a private letter written to some Bishops in what 1812 or something like that?

  4. #84
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,099

    Re: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Isn't this going just a bit too far?


    j-mac
    I am all for the separation of church and state, but there are reasonable places of co-mingling where the lines need to be drawn. Being worried about prayer, however, is just wrong. Prayer and mediation are personal expressions of faith, not corporate expressions (even when someone is leading the prayer).

    I fail to see how the occurrence of prayer, be it in school, opening of the legislature, grace before a meal, etc., threatens to break the church/state boundary.

    In my view, people that are threatened by prayer should spend more time in prayer.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    No it does not. The Constitution, the 1st Amendment, does not bar the government from having pray services of 1 type or another. The 1st Amendment, was written so that Congress can't create a National Church, like the one our founders left called the Church of England. That is what that meant. If it meant that you can't say a prayer at a government funded meeting, then how the hell does Congress say a prayer in the House and Senate every damn day?

    Saying a prayer is not endorsing a national religion. So therefore its perfectly within the realm of these people at this meeting to say a 30 second prayer before eating.

    It has nothing to do with being weak minded. It has nothing to do with sticking a thumb in governments eye. Its none of that crap alot of people on this thread have said it is.

    Ever heard of FCA in public schools? Fellowship of Christian Athletes? How come they are allowed in public schools? Isn't that endorsing religion? You got to understand what the 1st Amendment means, history wise, before you just start throwing around a phrase that was written 30 years after the Constitution was put in place and that phrase is "Seperation of Church and State".

    That phrase, has no bearing on the 1st Amendment as it is nowhere to be found within it. It was a private letter written to some Bishops in what 1812 or something like that?
    TheHat USED HISTORICAL ACCURACY!!

    IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!!!

  6. #86
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,206

    Re: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

    30 seconds would be a sermon. 5 seconds is plenty of time to say grace.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    Ever heard of FCA in public schools? Fellowship of Christian Athletes? How come they are allowed in public schools? Isn't that endorsing religion? [/I]".
    Why don't they have prayer over the PA system?

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    On the one hand I think it goes little too far, but on the other I don't understand why they needs to be led in a prayer in the first place. If someone wants to pray before they eat they should just do it.
    Since none of them really have a choice but to be there, I think it's preposterous they were ever "led in prayer" in the first place.
    Plenty of seniors are atheist, agnostic, or of other than christian faith.
    The whole 'leading in prayer before meals" thing is rude, disrespectful, and alienating; not that I'd expect a bunch of Christians to recognize that. They're pretty oblivious. Even if they did recognize it, they no doubt wouldn't care, since in their version of reality, they are the only ones whose feelings count.
    I'm glad they've been stopped.
    Sorry prayer isn't as much fun when you don't get to harass, intimidate, annoy, and badger your neighbors with it, Gramps.
    I'm sure everybody else at the senior center will now have much more pleasant and peaceful mealtimes, however.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Isn't this going just a bit too far?


    j-mac
    Just wait until the Messiah Care really kicks in and the realization that those people are worth more to the government dead than alive.

    They'll be praying for the meals, not over them.

  10. #90
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Ga. Seniors Told They Can't Pray Before Meals

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    No it does not. The Constitution, the 1st Amendment, does not bar the government from having pray services of 1 type or another. The 1st Amendment, was written so that Congress can't create a National Church, like the one our founders left called the Church of England. That is what that meant. If it meant that you can't say a prayer at a government funded meeting, then how the hell does Congress say a prayer in the House and Senate every damn day?

    Saying a prayer is not endorsing a national religion. So therefore its perfectly within the realm of these people at this meeting to say a 30 second prayer before eating.

    It has nothing to do with being weak minded. It has nothing to do with sticking a thumb in governments eye. Its none of that crap alot of people on this thread have said it is.

    Ever heard of FCA in public schools? Fellowship of Christian Athletes? How come they are allowed in public schools? Isn't that endorsing religion? You got to understand what the 1st Amendment means, history wise, before you just start throwing around a phrase that was written 30 years after the Constitution was put in place and that phrase is "Seperation of Church and State".

    That phrase, has no bearing on the 1st Amendment as it is nowhere to be found within it. It was a private letter written to some Bishops in what 1812 or something like that?
    Separation of Church and State is as much about the 14th Amendment as the 1st.

    It was a private letter written to some Bishops in what 1812 or something like that?
    Famously used in that way. However, the term and the concept are older.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 05-11-10 at 02:59 AM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •