Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 214

Thread: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

  1. #151
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Standards of decency change. Most civilized countries recognize that state sponsored killings are inhumane. We are now in the same category as countries like Iran, Iraq and third world countries in our thinking.

    As for your second argument...it doesn't even warrant a response. That reasoning has been rejected time and again and is now only used by the desperate right-wing who have no other argument.
    Ever follow the Constitutional scholars who write on arguments against gay marriage? Let me give you a clue...they have better arguments than that one.
    lame and I would argue that life in USP (SuperMax) Florence is far more cruel than the needle. BTW I am not in fan of the death penalty but it has nothing to do with "cruelty". 50 years in solitary is far worse punishment. The problem is that mistakes are made and the DP cannot be reversed.



    that something is rejected doesn't mean that the reasons make sense. Gays are treated exactly the same as straights in terms of the objective application of the law. You are not nearly educated enough in the law to give me a clue.



  2. #152
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    488

    Re: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    We don't support much of what you claim. I am against government handouts although I believe in a right to work state. I don't support corporations moving high paying manufacturing jobs overseas so that corporations can increase profits for their millionaire/billionaire CEO's.
    I believe that workers should be paid a living wage and that corporations shouldn't be able to exploit the workers.
    I support immigration reform, while recognizing the need for migrant workers.
    I believe that the true way to go about immigration reform is to go after the companies that profit off low wages they pay to undocumented workers.

    Oh...and by the way....you need a civics lesson. People who enter this country illegally can't vote. Did you not realize that?
    Motor voter laws...and certain states attempting to pass laws to issue drivers licenses to illegals...hmmm.

    You sound to me like a typical, envious lefty...screw the personal risk and money it takes to create a successfull business, then hire whiners like you....Godammit!, I demand a house on the hill, as well.

    Jackass
    Last edited by webrockk; 05-10-10 at 11:43 PM.

  3. #153
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post

    that something is rejected doesn't mean that the reasons make sense. Gays are treated exactly the same as straights in terms of the objective application of the law. You are not nearly educated enough in the law to give me a clue.
    I'm not asking you to get a clue from me....but follow the arguments of the scholars who support your position. No credible legal scholar makes that lame argument.
    When the case comes before the Supreme Court there are some good arguments, however I think that they will ultimately fail.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #154
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    Motor voter laws...and certain states attempting to pass laws to issue drivers licenses to illegals...hmmm.

    You sound to me like a typical, envious lefty...screw the personal risk and money it takes to create a successfull business, then hire whiners like you....Godammit!, I demand a house on the hill, as well.

    Jackass
    Wow...you need to go back to your Glenn Beck....

    Envious? of what? I support successful businesses. I just don't believe that they are free to run their business in our country without any costs. If you want to run a successful business, there are costs that you must pay in this country....it doesn't come for free and you can't exploit the workers to pad your wallet.

    I am not a big fan of corporate welfare. You obviously are.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #155
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    Re: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    Motor voter laws...and certain states attempting to pass laws to issue drivers licenses to illegals...hmmm.

    You sound to me like a typical, envious lefty...screw the personal risk and money it takes to create business, then hire whiners like you....Godammit!, I demand a house on the hill, as well.

    Jackass
    There is no reason for you to be making personal attacks like that. How about sticking to the issue?

    How about this? Show me a link which shows that illegal aliens get to vote because they are issued driver's licenses, and that is all they need.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #156
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The right to be free of governmental intrusion, the right against cruel and unusual punishment and the right of equal protection under the law are ABSOLUTELY part of this countries original values.
    And yet no one would argue that the original understanding of those broad rights that you mentioned encompassed the specific issues that I mentioned. That's the point.

    Historically, absolutely no one understood the eighth amendment to ban all capital punishment. Recently, several liberal scholars and Justices have argued just that. How exactly is that defending our original values?

    Remember....there is something in the pledge that even says Freedom and Justice for ALL (not just some).
    (Generic platitude about as useful and relevant as "these colors don't run.")
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #157
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm not asking you to get a clue from me....but follow the arguments of the scholars who support your position. No credible legal scholar makes that lame argument.
    When the case comes before the Supreme Court there are some good arguments, however I think that they will ultimately fail.
    why don't you list those scholars and summarize their arguments



  8. #158
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    Re: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

    Since someone has made a claim that motor voter laws enable illegal aliens to vote, I am going to debunk it, and right now.

    Illegals, and even those here legally, can be deported for making a false statement claiming US citizenship, which is a serious crime. Motor voter laws are actually an unintended trap for those who are not US citizens, but a trap, nevertheless, which can lead to deportation, not lead to voting.

    Read this article by a licensed attorney, which explains the motor voter trap for non US citizens.
    Last edited by danarhea; 05-11-10 at 12:11 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #159
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why don't you list those scholars and summarize their arguments
    Sorry....do your own homework if you want to learn the arguments.
    That's what education is about.

    However, since you asked....I'll give you a clue. It has to do with putting forth an important governmental interest that justifies the differential treatment.

    Its not that hard to educate yourself if you want to take a litle time to look into it.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #160
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sorry....do your own homework if you want to learn the arguments.
    That's what education is about.

    However, since you asked....I'll give you a clue. It has to do with putting forth an important governmental interest that justifies the differential treatment.

    Its not that hard to educate yourself if you want to take a litle time to look into it.
    surely his experience as a student at princeton's law school equipped him to understand this already ... or was it yale?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •