Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 230

Thread: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

  1. #71
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    AFP: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    I.E. They cannot control the media. They cannot control the spin.
    Well there certainly is spin, that's for sure. But Obama is right on this one. Well it's not the XBox's fault or anything, but the aggregated effect of our technology and the speed at which we can get information. And because our appetite for entertainment seems never ending, we have leeched that desire into the dissemination of our information as well. To such a point that we cannot seemingly tell fact from fiction.

    The news has become nothing more than a little song and dance. Crap which competes with other crap for crap ratings and in the process, everything is brought down to some base level of reality TV "entertainment". The "News" medias become propaganda blowhorns where it's not information which is given; but opinion spun with stories and hyperbole. There's no rational thought left, there's no logic behind anything. It's all partisan rhetoric and propaganda. One side vs. the other; and the People lose no matter what. But they got us because we've stopped paying attention. We'd rather listen to Ann Coulter than read a book about finance or economy or how the fed works or political philosophy.

    The news....the news is crap. And what Obama is saying isn't wrong. Though it's not the XBox's fault or even the IPod...it's ours. We've become distracted and let this all happen. We ****ed up. If we want to keep this Republic, in all it's glory, with it's liberties and freedoms intact...then we have to wake up. Quit listening so fervently to these Sean Hannity's and the like; the propaganda mongers. Start educating ourselves, reading more, participating, understanding, thinking.

    Y'all may want to perpetuate this problem, exacerbate the effects. Because Obama said it, it has to be wrong...he must be saying he can't control...blah blah blah. Same level of **** we've been fed by the shovel load.

    Don't think, just react. Ignorance is strength.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #72
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well there certainly is spin, that's for sure. But Obama is right on this one. Well it's not the XBox's fault or anything, but the aggregated effect of our technology and the speed at which we can get information. And because our appetite for entertainment seems never ending, we have leeched that desire into the dissemination of our information as well. To such a point that we cannot seemingly tell fact from fiction.

    The news has become nothing more than a little song and dance. Crap which competes with other crap for crap ratings and in the process, everything is brought down to some base level of reality TV "entertainment". The "News" medias become propaganda blowhorns where it's not information which is given; but opinion spun with stories and hyperbole. There's no rational thought left, there's no logic behind anything. It's all partisan rhetoric and propaganda. One side vs. the other; and the People lose no matter what. But they got us because we've stopped paying attention. We'd rather listen to Ann Coulter than read a book about finance or economy or how the fed works or political philosophy.

    The news....the news is crap. And what Obama is saying isn't wrong. Though it's not the XBox's fault or even the IPod...it's ours. We've become distracted and let this all happen. We ****ed up. If we want to keep this Republic, in all it's glory, with it's liberties and freedoms intact...then we have to wake up. Quit listening so fervently to these Sean Hannity's and the like; the propaganda mongers. Start educating ourselves, reading more, participating, understanding, thinking.

    Y'all may want to perpetuate this problem, exacerbate the effects. Because Obama said it, it has to be wrong...he must be saying he can't control...blah blah blah. Same level of **** we've been fed by the shovel load.

    Don't think, just react. Ignorance is strength.
    It's always amazed me how so many libertarians end up being so elitist, without really realizing the contradiction.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    It's always amazed me how so many libertarians end up being so elitist, without really realizing the contradiction.
    There was hardly anything elitist in that rant. I mean, if you have something actual to add; go ahead. But stupid little comments without logic to back up the claim are just that; stupid little comments. And stupid little comments do very little for advancing the debate or considering the direction. So if you have more stupid little comments, please feel free to keep them to yourselves. If you have something thought out which pertains to the subject matter at hand, then by all means contribute.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #74
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    The President is correct in warning the youth about the pitfalls of much of the current adoption of technology.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 05-10-10 at 11:41 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well there certainly is spin, that's for sure. But Obama is right on this one. Well it's not the XBox's fault or anything, but the aggregated effect of our technology and the speed at which we can get information. And because our appetite for entertainment seems never ending, we have leeched that desire into the dissemination of our information as well. To such a point that we cannot seemingly tell fact from fiction.

    The news has become nothing more than a little song and dance. Crap which competes with other crap for crap ratings and in the process, everything is brought down to some base level of reality TV "entertainment". The "News" medias become propaganda blowhorns where it's not information which is given; but opinion spun with stories and hyperbole. There's no rational thought left, there's no logic behind anything. It's all partisan rhetoric and propaganda. One side vs. the other; and the People lose no matter what. But they got us because we've stopped paying attention. We'd rather listen to Ann Coulter than read a book about finance or economy or how the fed works or political philosophy.

    The news....the news is crap. And what Obama is saying isn't wrong. Though it's not the XBox's fault or even the IPod...it's ours. We've become distracted and let this all happen. We ****ed up. If we want to keep this Republic, in all it's glory, with it's liberties and freedoms intact...then we have to wake up. Quit listening so fervently to these Sean Hannity's and the like; the propaganda mongers. Start educating ourselves, reading more, participating, understanding, thinking.

    Y'all may want to perpetuate this problem, exacerbate the effects. Because Obama said it, it has to be wrong...he must be saying he can't control...blah blah blah. Same level of **** we've been fed by the shovel load.

    Don't think, just react. Ignorance is strength.
    It's funny how the centrists, libertarians, and moderates seem to grok this, but the hardcore conservative koolaid drinkers have their panties in a wad.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    It's always amazed me how so many libertarians end up being so elitist, without really realizing the contradiction.
    Maybe this is why...

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/religi...-founders.html

    Note the lack of objectivity, the need to reinforce paradigms over honest seeking of historical information, and the inability to screen for source bias.

    Libertarians, at least, have learned to think for themselves to some degree. All too many partisans are spoon-fed their opinions, and form their judgements on the basis of what the partisan hacks say.

  7. #77
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Maybe this is why...

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/religi...-founders.html

    Note the lack of objectivity, the need to reinforce paradigms over honest seeking of historical information, and the inability to screen for source bias.

    Libertarians, at least, have learned to think for themselves to some degree. All too many partisans are spoon-fed their opinions, and form their judgements on the basis of what the partisan hacks say.

    In that vein, wouldn't ALL information be needed then? What is Obama afraid of?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #78
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    In that vein, wouldn't ALL information be needed then? What is Obama afraid of?

    j-mac
    There is a limit to how much information we can absorb in a given time frame. And given that information, these days, comes in the same form that other stuff on the TV and computer comes in, we use up some of those resources with things like the XBox.

    While there is nothing wrong with that in itself, however it is a side effect, that we than compress the information we would otherwise receive in other sources, to soundbytes and sensationalism. We are our own worst enemy in this regard because of our own limitations and other competing factors.

    Because the information we get is incomplete, due to the previously mentioned limitations, and the wide array available. We tend do what is easy for us and choose the information sources that agree with what we already believe, which further reinforces it and creates a feedback loop. It is a very real problem with no real solution.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 05-10-10 at 11:59 AM.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Good.

    Thanks for putting a stop to all of those claims that he's a socialist.
    He just pissed that his socialistic dreams aren't taking root.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    You attack him on everything that you can tie him to. For instance, on this particular issue he had a very valid point. However, you found a way to blame him for something. It just gets old.

    You are no better than the liberals who attacked Palin, Bush, etc. for everything under the sun.



    And you would be wrong.

    Why don't you see for yourself?
    Your opinion is that he has a valid point. That's fine, and you're welcome to it. I think he's a political animal for whom one has to look beyond just the basic of his message. What's motivating him?

    And that's where my problem with Obama starts, and where you are gullible for taking anything he says at face value.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •