Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 230

Thread: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

  1. #21
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    But you just did exactly what you're pointing out: You say "Obama laments the lack of CONTROL over the media.

    He says no such thing. You imply it based on your beliefs.
    No, that's what he is saying. IF you are one that believes anything that man says, you'll take the spin he wants you to have from it. How willing you are to read between the lines is on you, not me.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #22
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    The whole speech looked like he was challenging his inner social conservatism. People who attack technology/pop culture because they; 1. Dont like it or 2. Dont understand, amuse me.
    Last edited by Cold Highway; 05-09-10 at 06:22 PM.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  3. #23
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    If somebody can write it down in a blog and I can agree with it, it is true.

    Consensus reality.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 05-09-10 at 06:20 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  4. #24
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No, that's what he is saying. IF you are one that believes anything that man says, you'll take the spin he wants you to have from it. How willing you are to read between the lines is on you, not me.
    I must say this board has given me a lot of insight into the conservative mind. Here we have someone who has a predetermined view, someone who will look for any evidence to support that view. Even the most tangential or unsupported "evidence" will be used to further justify this prejudice.

    Obama did not say anything of the sort, MrVicchio. This link was fabricated entirely in your head.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    HAMPTON, Virginia — US President Barack Obama lamented Sunday that in the iPad and Xbox era, information had become a diversion that was imposing new strains on democracy, in his latest critique of modern media.
    Obama, who often chides journalists and cable news outlets for obsessing with political horse race coverage rather than serious issues, told a class of graduating university students that education was the key to progress.
    "You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank all that high on the truth meter," Obama said at Hampton University, Virginia.
    "With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations, -- none of which I know how to work -- information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation," Obama said.
    He bemoaned the fact that "some of the craziest claims can quickly claim traction," in the clamor of certain blogs and talk radio outlets.
    "All of this is not only putting new pressures on you, it is putting new pressures on our country and on our democracy."
    Alrighty...

  6. #26
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Alrighty...
    You don't agree? More and more these days we're bombarded with junk. Entertainment, celebrity stories, bloggers with no real news credentials passing themselves off as legitimate, talk show hosts bombarding us with their opinions 24 hours a day. Information overload. Think about how much time you spend on the internet doing nothing.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You don't agree? More and more these days we're bombarded with junk. Entertainment, celebrity stories, bloggers with no real news credentials passing themselves off as legitimate, talk show hosts bombarding us with their opinions 24 hours a day. Information overload. Think about how much time you spend on the internet doing nothing.
    So what do you propose we do about it?

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    So what do you propose we do about it?
    In my house, we watch television shows/commercials, etc. and we talk about what the intended point was. Was there spin? What did the advertiser want us to do? Was evidence presented?

    I want my kids to be able to think, logically, and be able to sort the wheat from the chaff. Kids also need to be taught about sources, use of evidence, and critical thinking in school. When they write a term paper, for instance, part of the grade should be whether they used appropriate sources, interpreted that information accurately, and provided a reasonable thesis.

    I understand, however, that I am not at all normal because we are surrounded by sheep.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    In my house, we watch television shows/commercials, etc. and we talk about what the intended point was. Was there spin? What did the advertiser want us to do? Was evidence presented?

    I want my kids to be able to think, logically, and be able to sort the wheat from the chaff. Kids also need to be taught about sources, use of evidence, and critical thinking in school. When they write a term paper, for instance, part of the grade should be whether they used appropriate sources, interpreted that information accurately, and provided a reasonable thesis.

    I understand, however, that I am not at all normal because we are surrounded by sheep.
    ZOMGWTF!!??!!? You actually take responsibility for how you integrate the information you receive into your and your childrens' lives.

    Who knew that was even an option?

  10. #30
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    And your post only proves his point.

    When an entire nation begins to confuse opinion with fact, we have a serious problem.

    WE are a good part of the problem.
    Now just where do you suppose you get those 'facts'? From the intrepid and couragous 'journalists' with honor and integrity?

    What the modern information age has done is enabled people to read from the major news dotcoms, the drudges, the APs, Huffpos...all in a relatively quick time. The 'facts' are usually hidden somehwere in there. What we arent is force fed drivel from one authoritarian 'source' and expected to swallow it as 'fact'.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •