Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 230

Thread: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    It probably doesn't help that Obama is on the TV close to incessantly. Talk about turning the Presidency to a late-night TV show.

  2. #12
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Yeah a claim would mean there is doubt as to the validity. There is no longer any doubt.
    Of all the stories, THIS one convinced you. I don't know what to say about that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I do think that people are less scrupulous about fact-checking information they receive through technology. They think if it is online, it's true. I've seen you fall prey to this, Vicchio. If it reinforces your existing paradigms, you believe it is true.
    That actually goes back to a theory of mine that is supported by biological evidence. One who positions themselves, in an extreme way, on one side of the political aisle or the other, cannot understand positions that are inconsistent with their beliefs. MRI studies of the brain show that the part that manages rational thinking, literally shuts off. This is why the pundits are so dangerous. What they do is enhance the reward center of the brain... again, MRI studies show this, which makes the person listening even more resistant to opposing viewpoints, even if they are completely rational.

    This problem isn't new. Folks who have strong, or extreme positions have existed for as long as there have been people. Problem is, with all of the information out there, extreme positions are seen as more mainstream simply because they are more "out there". Doesn't make them any more legitimate, but because there is lots of information about them, folks who do not discern believe some of it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #14
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    And your post only proves his point.

    When an entire nation begins to confuse opinion with fact, we have a serious problem.

    WE are a good part of the problem.
    A perfect example of this would be the SNL skit by Tina Fey playing Palin and claiming she could see russia from her backdoor.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #15
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I do think that people are less scrupulous about fact-checking information they receive through technology. They think if it is online, it's true. I've seen you fall prey to this, Vicchio. If it reinforces your existing paradigms, you believe it is true.
    Yeah, everyone is more prone to believe information that matches their beliefs then to believe information that goes against it. The Climate forum is a great example of this in action. The warmers refuse to accept ANYTHING that doesn't support AGW 100%.


    CC does this all the time in reference to Progressives. Anytime someone posts anything from or about a Progressive that doesn't conform to his standard of what a "Progressive" is, he dismiss it.



    The underlying problem with Obama's commentary is that he laments the lack of CONTROL over the media message that once existed. People are no longer reliant on the Big Three and a few newspapers for their news. This means that people learn things from a different source, that may not have the approved spin on it.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #16
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    That actually goes back to a theory of mine that is supported by biological evidence. One who positions themselves, in an extreme way, on one side of the political aisle or the other, cannot understand positions that are inconsistent with their beliefs. MRI studies of the brain show that the part that manages rational thinking, literally shuts off. This is why the pundits are so dangerous. What they do is enhance the reward center of the brain... again, MRI studies show this, which makes the person listening even more resistant to opposing viewpoints, even if they are completely rational.

    This problem isn't new. Folks who have strong, or extreme positions have existed for as long as there have been people. Problem is, with all of the information out there, extreme positions are seen as more mainstream simply because they are more "out there". Doesn't make them any more legitimate, but because there is lots of information about them, folks who do not discern believe some of it.
    Where is my pot/kettle picture when I need it?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #17
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    A perfect example of this would be the SNL skit by Tina Fey playing Palin and claiming she could see russia from her backdoor.
    Well, there are some people who confuse parody with actuality, but I give leeway to parody - because intelligent human beings understand what parody is.

    Unintelligent people don't - like the people who think stories from The Onion are true and those who actually thought Stephen Colbert was an actual Conservative commentator.

  8. #18
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Yeah, everyone is more prone to believe information that matches their beliefs then to believe information that goes against it. The Climate forum is a great example of this in action. The warmers refuse to accept ANYTHING that doesn't support AGW 100%.


    CC does this all the time in reference to Progressives. Anytime someone posts anything from or about a Progressive that doesn't conform to his standard of what a "Progressive" is, he dismiss it.



    The underlying problem with Obama's commentary is that he laments the lack of CONTROL over the media message that once existed. People are no longer reliant on the Big Three and a few newspapers for their news. This means that people learn things from a different source, that may not have the approved spin on it.
    But you just did exactly what you're pointing out: You say "Obama laments the lack of CONTROL over the media.

    He says no such thing. You imply it based on your beliefs.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    AFP: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    I.E. They cannot control the media. They cannot control the spin.
    I think the real issue here is that with the advent of this age of constant information exposure, the new generation has to be taught how to sort through the difference between information and infotainment. It's also important that people recognize the difference between a politically loyal shill like Jon Stewart and actual news. There needs to be impressed on people a difference between commentary and journalism and the need to check facts against multiple sources before committing to a stance.

    Too many people think their favorite comedian or pundit is reporting the news instead of commenting about the news. Hell, on this forum you got some bat**** crazy loons who are stuck to either Glenn Beck or Jon Stewart's nutsack like flies on ****. Every day we get the rundown from one side or the other about how Jon Stewart reported this or Glenn Beck exposed that. And it's usually these idiots that are the most prolific in spreading it as gospel truth.

    Some people just need to have their cable signal cut and be forced to read a ****ing paper once in a while.

  10. #20
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    10-20-11 @ 03:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    371

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say something and it just ****ing sounds retarded, why? Because they didn't do the research to find out if what they were repeating was true. I ****ing hate that! Do some research people, take some time, if you're gonna spread something as news or fact you better make damn sure it is correct otherwise people like myself will run all over you and not let you forget it. That **** follows you around. It makes people not believe half the **** you say. Sorry about all the cursing but this pisses me the hell off. Ignorant people, I hate most of humanity for this very reason. Apathy and ignorance.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •