Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 230

Thread: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

  1. #91
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Shouldn't that interpretation be left to the individual garnering the information? When you say that "society" needs to "teach people how to objectively process that information", aren't you REALLY saying we need to control the message?


    j-mac
    Nope. When you say that society needs to teach people how to objectively process that information it means that society needs to teach people how to objectively process that information. That's it. And it's true. Because of information overload, we have to learn how to disseminate the proper information from the sea of propaganda, hyperbole, and spin. It takes critical thinking skills, and if we don't employ them then we will be swept away in a torrent of misinformation and partisan hackery. Critical thinking has always been important to the human race.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #92
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Nope. When you say that society needs to teach people how to objectively process that information it means that society needs to teach people how to objectively process that information. That's it. And it's true. Because of information overload, we have to learn how to disseminate the proper information from the sea of propaganda, hyperbole, and spin. It takes critical thinking skills, and if we don't employ them then we will be swept away in a torrent of misinformation and partisan hackery. Critical thinking has always been important to the human race.

    The term "Critical Thinking" has often been used to denigrate those not in agreement with liberal agenda.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    And what way is that? Why do you say this? Because certain venues of information don't agree with YOUR outlook on life? I think it's liberating how much information is available for people to consume.
    Very few venues of information agree with my outlook on life. I'm centrist, which means that I tend to think that the liberals are wrong as often as the conservatives. Since most media these days has some kind of spin, I want my children to be able to identify biased information, fact-check it, look at multiple sources of evidence, and form their OWN opinion.

    And who and how is this conveyed to children? What set off the "Obama's wrong" flags were his singling out Talk Radio and the like. I.E. Right Wing sources are bad was the message in there. And blogs, blogs are the antithesis of the MSM.
    When someone says Blog, I think about the Daily Kos at the same time I think of Indapundit. I think that both sides of the political spectrum have problems with bias, and only present the information that agrees with their own paradigms. That's why I read a variety of sources.

    It is complicated, what solution have you? A single approved source for all information?
    I already mentioned it. I learned to critically examine sources in school, particularly in my composition classes and in logic. I was also a debater, which taught me to look at both sides of an argument and weigh their pros and cons.

    I think all kids should have experiences like that.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The term "Critical Thinking" has often been used to denigrate those not in agreement with liberal agenda.


    j-mac
    In this context, we're using it to denigrate people who don't exercise a capacity for independent thought, from both sides of the political spectrum. Neither Ikari or I are particularly partisan.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 05-10-10 at 12:09 PM.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The term "Critical Thinking" has often been used to denigrate those not in agreement with liberal agenda.


    j-mac
    Critical thinking here means critical thinking. I'd thank you for not turning this so quickly into a hyperpartisan bitch fest and prove me correct so soon.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #96
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,028

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The term "Critical Thinking" has often been used to denigrate those not in agreement with liberal agenda.


    j-mac
    I'd love to see evidence of this.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #97
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Very few venues of information agree with my outlook on life. I'm centrist, which means that I tend to think that the liberals are wrong as often as the conservatives. Since most media these days has some kind of spin, I want my children to be able to identify biased information, fact-check it, look at multiple sources of evidence, and form their OWN opinion.

    Thanks to the current administration, we live in an era where the supposed fact checkers are also biased.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Thanks to the current administration, we live in an era where the supposed fact checkers are also biased.

    j-mac
    It's all hopeless and we're doomed.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I really could care less what motivated him to say it.
    That's the worst stance one can take with a politician, of any party, of any stripe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    He's absolutely right.
    And I disagree that he was "absolutely right". Some of his commentary had merit, there IS a lot of information out there and people need to choose wisely what information they consume. But he didn't end it with that, it was the rest of his commentary that took it from a good comment to wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    And I think it's silly for anyone to speculate on what his motivation was, especially for purely partisan reasons.
    It's OBAMA, he's the most purely partisan President in History, he makes Nixon look like a centrist uniter.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  10. #100
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama bemoans 'diversions' of IPod, Xbox era

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    That's the worst stance one can take with a politician, of any party, of any stripe.
    If it was something of importance I would feel differently. This particular instance isn't important to me. He made a valid statement. However, you seem to think there's some underlying motivation so that you can blame him for something.

    And I disagree that he was "absolutely right". Some of his commentary had merit, there IS a lot of information out there and people need to choose wisely what information they consume. But he didn't end it with that, it was the rest of his commentary that took it from a good comment to wrong.
    It's OBAMA, he's the most purely partisan President in History, he makes Nixon look like a centrist uniter.
    If you think I'm going to take your analysis of Obama as gospel, you are kidding yourself. You've made it very clear how you feel about Obama.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •