Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 80

Thread: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Where was the outrage from the Bushneviks when Bush was doing it? Was it OK then, but not OK now? Of course not. It was WRONG then, just as it is WRONG now. But only now do you hear the outrage from the Bushnevik supporters. I wonder why? Could it be that the reason is because the president now in office has a "D" after his name?
    What's wrong with negotiating a contract with a company for a job that no other company on the planet was capable of doing? Who was Halliburton going to bid against exactly?

  2. #42
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    What's wrong with negotiating a contract with a company for a job that no other company on the planet was capable of doing? Who was Halliburton going to bid against exactly?
    You then support what Obama is doing? If so, then I appreciate your honesty.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You then support what Obama is doing? If so, then I appreciate your honesty.
    I would like for there to be a competitor to bid but there isn't one.

  4. #44
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    A) The idea that a contract should have been awarded to a French company in a war that they refused to participate in is ridiculous.
    I'm guessing you're talking about Schlumberger. Schlumberger is the world's largest oilfield services corporation. Yes it was founded by a couple of French brothers and has that funny little French name, but it's been headquartered in Houston for 70 years and is listed on the NYSE.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris
    B) Halliburton provides more than just oil field services, it also provided construction and engineering through its subsidiary KBR. There was no other company like Halliburton at the time the war started.
    Yes, Haliburton provided more than oil field services, they provided 3 squares a day for our troops, they laundered their clothes and cleaned their living quarters. They provided truck drivers to deliver fuel, water etc. They provided lots of diverse things, but one thing they didn't do, and that was 'everything'. They contracted out a large percentage of the tasks that had to be performed. Basically what the government did was what I call 'Wal-Mart' shopping. One stop, does it all. Instead of the government doling out contracts for food service, another for building housing, another for transportation, they just gave it all to Haliburton and said 'there I'm done, you handle it'. From there Haliburton sub-contracted to other companies. In many, many cases Haliburton was merely the middle man. They didn't actually perform the task. So the myth that Haliburton was the ONLY company that could handle the job is quite simply laughable.
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  5. #45
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

    If I remember correctly, the objections against Haliburton were not because it got a no-bid contract. It was because of the obvious cronyism involved in the fact that it got the contract.

    Halliburton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Cheney retired from the company during the 2000 U.S. presidential election campaign with a severance package worth $36 million.[42] As of 2004, he had received $398,548 in deferred compensation from Halliburton while Vice President.[43] Cheney was chairman and CEO of Halliburton Company from 1995 to 2000 and has received stock options from Halliburton.[44]

    Bunnatine Greenhouse, a civil servant with 20 years of contracting experience, had complained to Army officials on numerous occasions that Halliburton had been unlawfully receiving special treatment for work in Iraq, Kuwait and the Balkans. Criminal investigations were opened by the U.S. Justice Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Pentagon's inspector general.

    In one of the many examples of abuse, Greenhouse said that military auditors caught Halliburton overcharging the Pentagon for fuel deliveries into Iraq. She also complained that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's office took control of every aspect of Halliburton's $7 billion Iraqi oil/infrastructure contract. After her testimony, Greenhouse was demoted for poor performance.[45] Greenhouse's attorney, Michael Kohn, stated in the New York Times that "she is being demoted because of her strict adherence to procurement requirements and the Army's preference to sidestep them when it suits their needs.[46]
    But hey, lets not let the facts get in the way.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #46
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You then support what Obama is doing? If so, then I appreciate your honesty.




    I have no issue with it either, as I understand why...


    I just miss all the anti-contractor vitriol from the left.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    I'm guessing you're talking about Schlumberger. Schlumberger is the world's largest oilfield services corporation. Yes it was founded by a couple of French brothers and has that funny little French name, but it's been headquartered in Houston for 70 years and is listed on the NYSE.
    And Halliburton relocated their headquarters to Dubai but are still a U.S. Company.

    Yes, Haliburton provided more than oil field services, they provided 3 squares a day for our troops, they laundered their clothes and cleaned their living quarters. They provided truck drivers to deliver fuel, water etc. They provided lots of diverse things, but one thing they didn't do, and that was 'everything'. They contracted out a large percentage of the tasks that had to be performed. Basically what the government did was what I call 'Wal-Mart' shopping. One stop, does it all. Instead of the government doling out contracts for food service, another for building housing, another for transportation, they just gave it all to Haliburton and said 'there I'm done, you handle it'. From there Haliburton sub-contracted to other companies. In many, many cases Haliburton was merely the middle man. They didn't actually perform the task. So the myth that Haliburton was the ONLY company that could handle the job is quite simply laughable.
    Tell me what other company had subsidiary's which handled food service, construction, water purification etc? Anyways did you expect the military to perform the logistics of coordinating all of those operations while they were fighting the war? You needed an under one roof company to do it.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If I remember correctly, the objections against Haliburton were not because it got a no-bid contract. It was because of the obvious cronyism involved in the fact that it got the contract.

    Halliburton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    But hey, lets not let the facts get in the way.
    Cheney didn't make a dime off of Halliburton, he signed a voluntary yet binding contractual agreement that all of his stock proceeds would go to charity, the only money he got from Halliburton was from his retirement package which did not go up or down no matter how well or poorly Halliburton did. But hey, let's not let the facts get in the way.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Cheney didn't make a dime off of Halliburton,
    Oh I beg to differ. He made 39 million dollars off Haliburton. Do you disagree?

    he signed a voluntary yet binding contractual agreement that all of his stock proceeds would go to charity,
    Seems like a small price to pay for a check worth 39 million dollar.

    the only money he got from Halliburton was from his retirement package
    So you just contradicted yourself? I'll remind you of this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Cheney didn't make a dime off of Halliburton,
    which did not go up or down no matter how well or poorly Halliburton did. But hey, let's not let the facts get in the way.
    How about we actually look at what I said instead of what you think I said? I'll explain to you the key phrase in my post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey
    It was because of the obvious cronyism involved in the fact that it got the contract.
    Now I'll explain to you the key word in that phrase:

    Noun

    * S: (n) cronyism (favoritism shown to friends and associates (as by appointing them to positions without regard for their qualifications))

    WordNet home page
    In other words, it is highly suspect that Haliburton, which is essentially a company that people outsource jobs to so that it can outsource it to others would get a no-bid contract. SPECIALLY considering the fact that the Vice President had gotten 39 million dollars worth of their money not even a year before becoming Vice President.

    Do you understand the post now Agent Ferris?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Oh I beg to differ. He made 39 million dollars off Haliburton. Do you disagree?
    I disagree, you are lying.


    Seems like a small price to pay for a check worth 39 million dollar.

    lmfao the severance package was something he was entitled to and it included his stock options which again went to charity, the other portion of his severance package was his deferred salary which didn't go up or down no matter how well or poorly Halliburton did.

    So you just contradicted yourself? I'll remind you of this:
    Oh give me a freaking break, he didn't make a dime off of Halliburton due to the Iraq war or Halliburton getting no-bid contracts.

    How about we actually look at what I said instead of what you think I said? I'll explain to you the key phrase in my post:

    Now I'll explain to you the key word in that phrase:


    In other words, it is highly suspect that Haliburton, which is essentially a company that people outsource jobs to so that it can outsource it to others would get a no-bid contract. SPECIALLY considering the fact that the Vice President had gotten 39 million dollars worth of their money not even a year before becoming Vice President.
    The 36 million dollar (not 39) included his stock options and his deferred salary, again the profits from his stock options go to charity and his deferred salary does not go up or down no matter how well or poorly Halliburton does. What is suspect about getting the money that was owed to him? Are you asserting that he helped to award Halliburton with the contract even though he had absolutely no financial stake in the company just out of some sense of loyalty? Are you ****ing kidding me?

    Do you understand the post now Agent Ferris?
    Yes I understand that even though Cheney doesn't make a dime from Halliburton no-bid contracts and doesn't profit or lose money no matter how well or poorly Halliburton stock does, and has absolutely 0 financial state in the company that you people will continue to see something nefarious that isn't there.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •