Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 140

Thread: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change

  1. #111
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Insurance companies are not bias?
    We do the homework, you are getting down the middle analysis from me and trying to dismiss because you don't like my industry, take it for what it's worth.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #112
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change


  3. #113
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I did read. You where wrong.
    Did you intend to say 'WERE' wrong?

  4. #114
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Ok - I follow and agree most of it (I've stated it in the past, too, so no flip-flopping here) - I don't like the insurance companies making any PROFIT off of health-care.

    But here are things I have issues with:

    Water: I PAY for the water I use. I pay usage fees, base cost, taxes, etc etc.
    Fire: I PAY annual dues to my fire department. $55.00/year. If I don't pay every year - they will charge me $500.00 if my house catches on fire. On top of that, my fire department is VOLUNTEER - they are not fully government funded.
    And, at 3:10 he starts to talk about 'fire insurance' - and what he talks about sounds oddly like HOME owner's insurance AND auto insurance.

    If you don't OWN a home you don't HAVE to have homeowners insurance.
    If you don't OWN a car you don't HAVE to have homeowners insurance.

    So - my issue - is that this new Healthcare is the Mandatory - you MUST have it and if you can't afford private - the government will sell it to you.
    I think people should be able to opt out if they so choose - even if it means they have to pay $100,000 in medical bills.

    So - I don't support mandatory but I do support efforts to reorganize the system so it's more efficient and cost effective. .. I don't think the current healthcare bill is going to make it more efficient - I think it will just go the way of SSA and other things.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 06-25-10 at 01:25 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #115
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Ok - I follow and agree most of it (I've stated it in the past, too, so no flip-flopping here) - I don't like the insurance companies making any PROFIT off of health-care.

    But here are things I have issues with:

    Water: I PAY for the water I use. I pay usage fees, base cost, taxes, etc etc.
    Fire: I PAY annual dues to my fire department. $55.00/year. If I don't pay every year - they will charge me $500.00 if my house catches on fire. On top of that, my fire department is VOLUNTEER - they are not fully government funded.
    And, at 3:10 he starts to talk about 'fire insurance' - and what he talks about sounds oddly like HOME owner's insurance AND auto insurance.

    If you don't OWN a home you don't HAVE to have homeowners insurance.
    If you don't OWN a car you don't HAVE to have homeowners insurance.

    So - my issue - is that this new Healthcare is the Mandatory - you MUST have it and if you can't afford private - the government will sell it to you.
    I think people should be able to opt out if they so choose - even if it means they have to pay $100,000 in medical bills.

    So - I don't support mandatory but I do support efforts to reorganize the system so it's more efficient and cost effective. .. I don't think the current healthcare bill is going to make it more efficient - I think it will just go the way of SSA and other things.
    I don't think it goes far enough personally but any step in the right direction is good. But this is only a tiny step towards state run healthcare efficiency. There is privatization throughout the system for profit that should be removed over time.

  6. #116
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change

    I support government run healthcare, but I fear that the government will ration it and manage it extremely poorly. Medicare is failing, social security is failing, and I don't know if I can trust the government to efficiently and cost effectively care for 300+ million people. It would be much more feasible if states took control. I do support some form of universal healthcare, but it needs to be efficient and not bloated like the UK's.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #117
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Ok - I follow and agree most of it (I've stated it in the past, too, so no flip-flopping here) - I don't like the insurance companies making any PROFIT off of health-care.
    So wait, others provide you a service like restaurants, mechanics and physicians but it's okay for them to make a profit? But not an insurance company that provides same? That is a little difficult to grasp.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #118
    Educator Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    10-07-10 @ 08:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,019

    Re: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I support government run healthcare, but I fear that the government will ration it and manage it extremely poorly. Medicare is failing, social security is failing, and I don't know if I can trust the government to efficiently and cost effectively care for 300+ million people. It would be much more feasible if states took control. I do support some form of universal healthcare, but it needs to be efficient and not bloated like the UK's.
    Many countries manage the cost just fine and spend much less then America does .. 5% gdp less is a substial amount.

  9. #119
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    So wait, others provide you a service like restaurants, mechanics and physicians but it's okay for them to make a profit? But not an insurance company that provides same? That is a little difficult to grasp.
    "restaurant, mechanic"
    Are not essential to someone's LIFE.

    I can handle almost every issue with my car/truck - so I've never needed a Mechanic.
    I can feed my family - so I don't need to go out to eat.
    When I didn't have health/dental/auto insurance I covered those costs by myself, out of pocket

    if someone wants to waste money on fastfood - fine But that's not essential and that's not me.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #120
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Health care law's massive, hidden tax change

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Many countries manage the cost just fine and spend much less then America does .. 5% gdp less is a substial amount.
    I know this, but I fear that America won't handle it in a cost effective and responsible way. I never said that they couldn't, I just said that I don't see that happening. Most countries that have excellent socialized healthcare are usually countries with small populations (like Denmark) and thus there is less to manage and pay for. Our government wastes massive amounts of money in bureaucracy and wasteful spending, and I don't want this to happen with everyone's healthcare either. Right now they are failing at managing and funding Medicare.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •