Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 166

Thread: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,982

    Re: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Ah finally, now you guys can take out your "death to Islam" signs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    At this point, we don't know his motives, so it would be premature to call him an Islamic terrorist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    A terrorist is a terrorist. Does it really matter what their particular brand of motivational ideology is?
    Wow, I wish all you wonderfully even minded people showed up in the thread where the speculation was made he could be a white supremisist, KKK, or tea party type based on nothing else than the FBI looking at a "white guy".

    Funny, no one rushed in there batting an eye about the stereotyping there and jumping to accusation.

    So I'll do as I did there. Its still a bit to early to say anything for definite. While things are pointing towards the potential for it being islamic terrorism I'd hold off on saying it as a definite. That said the recent trip, his descent, and the taliban's claiming of the attack all lean heavily to that (far more than "white guy = tea partier) but right now the only definite fact is likely attempted terorrist act.

    However, when all the information comes out and if it does turn out to be Islamic Terror I do hope it is properly labeled.

    But to be upset people aren't making definitive statements prior to finding out the majority of the facts is a bit ludicrous.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Wow, I wish all you wonderfully even minded people showed up in the thread where the speculation was made he could be a white supremisist, KKK, or tea party type based on nothing else than the FBI looking at a "white guy".
    I said, in that thread, that it was too early to predict any of the above. And I've said this in several places.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Actually, up until 9/11, the most dangerous terror attacks WERE homegrown terrorists. We have a lot of nutjobs here, from whackadoo polygamists in the southwest to the sig heilers in the northwest to who knows what in Maine.

    At this point, it's anyone's guess. And, a guess of white supremacists or homegrown militia types isn't any less likely to be accurate than a guess of Islamists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I think it's ridiculous to make speculative guesses without evidence. It leads to stupidity and panic.
    I want to draw your attention to this one, in particular:

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The same people who killed the census worker in Tennessee.

    By the way, MOD, this is one of your dumbest surveys, to date.
    The reason I used this specific example is because of the ridiculousness of some leftist posters, including Golden Dog, who automatically assumed when the census worker died in Tennessee that it was some kind of anti-gummint plot by tea-partiers, inspired by Glenn Beck. And were repeatedly making that claim when there was ZERO evidence that this was the case. I smacked those people in exactly the same way that I'm now chastizing the far right for getting on the case of law enforcement when these folks are just doing their jobs, and doing it publicly.

    Of course, as we all know, the man committed suicide for financial reasons. But of course, those who made these claims NEVER recanted publicly.

    You also seem a little tense about all of this.

    Maybe you should switch to chamomile and cut down your caffeine intake.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 05-04-10 at 10:41 AM.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

    Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoGringo View Post
    You're the last person in this forum that should call anyone "stupid". Stay classy.
    Wow, Orlando. bearing a grudge, are we, for previous spankings?


  4. #34
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    It's completely irresponsible for law enforcement sources to speak to the motivation of the terrorist until they've had an oppportunity to interview/interrogate him. This is not a matter of being afraid to label someone what he is, but a matter of professional standards dictating how information is shared with the media.

    This guy could be many things. He could be mentally ill. He could be acting politically in regards to the disputed territory between India and Pakistan. He could be religiously motivated. At this point, you're operating off of his last name and country of origin to make statements that could have zero basis in fact. Unlike you guys, law enforcement officers and the media have a professional obligation to handle information properly.

    Don't let their job requirements get in the way of your preconceived notions about how we're dhimmis cowering to the Islamic menace, though.

    Carry on with the ridiculousness, you have it well-covered.
    True...or we could pull our head out of our ass and recognize the obvious.

    Good lord.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,982

    Re: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I said, in that thread, that it was too early to predict any of the above. And I've said this in several places. Save it.
    Yep, I did look at that Catz. You didn't bother to say a damn thing about stereotyping or jumping to conclusions until someone made one about Islamic extremism. Your response wasn't to Dana's implications of a militant group or KKK or white supremisists. It wans't to Queen's suggestion it was a Tea Partier. It was to Sir Loin's suggestion that the most dangerous terrorists are arab/muslims.

    It was only when it started getting pointed to Islamic Extremism did the "its to early to tell" card get pulled by you, and even then it was to argue that the accusations at the begining of the thread were just as legitimate.

    Where as in this thread you ridicule the "yuck yuck" crowd, even though now there is even more evidence to lean one way then the other (still not enough to say as fact, but enough to make a slightly more educated prediction).

    Its kind of my point. When it is someone with a middle eastern name or from a muslim country or is a muslim and people assume Islamic Terror people come out of the woodwork, in full force, without fail to go "Don't assume, don't assume! It could be a white guy or something!" But when the accusations are that its a militant or a tea partier or a white supremisist the response, if there is any, is weak at best. Yours wasn't even spurred, based on what you quoted and when you posted it, to be about the fact they were accusing those groups but because it went back to the Muslim thing.

    We need to stop jumping to conclussions as a society on this. Stop acting like the 24/7 news cycle starved people that so many of us are and realize that things take more than a few hours or even a few days before definitive facts can be stated. At the same time, to have this, we need to fight the jumps to conclussion equally be they "OMG He's white it must be a tea partier!" or "OMG! He's pakistani, islamic extremism"!

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

    Several quick things:

    1. The arrest of the terrorist suspect has been made.
    2. He is a naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in Pakistan.
    3. The investigation will yield his motives and other useful information.

    Such questions, among others will be covered by the investigation:

    1. Did he act alone?
    2. Was he a sympathizer with Pakistan's Taliban or another terrorist entity?
    3. Was he actually a member of Pakistan's Taliban or another terrorist entity?
    4. Was he a radical Islamist and did his ideology influence his actions?
    5. At what point in time did he turn against the U.S. e.g., were his views fairly recent or were they longstanding?
    6. If his views were fairly recent, did some other event in his life change his views to the extent that he took the extreme course of seeking to carry out a terrorist attack?

    At this time, it is still early in the investigation. One cannot automatically assume, for example, that the suspect was a member of Pakistan's Taliban, even if it turns out that he met with them at one time or another when in Pakistan. One should wait for the facts to be established, even if it takes time. Once the facts have been obtained, law enforcement and counterterrorism officials will be in a better position to try to reduce the risk of future terrorist attacks. Depending on the actual facts of this case, perhaps they will be in a better position afterward to make it more difficult for overseas terrorist organizations to "recruit" U.S. citizens/residents, to limit the appeal of radical ideologies among those who might readily be influenced by such ideologies, among other possible measures.

    IMO, the U.S. remains safe. Although the probability of such attacks will likely never be zero, I remain confident that law enforcement, counterterrorism, and Intelligence officials' efforts, bolstered by lessons learned from attacks/attempted attacks in the U.S., not to mention those from the UK, Israel, Spain, Russia, among other places, has kept the probability of major attacks in the U.S. very low. People should not succumb to exaggerated fears. For example, even as the suspect was born in Pakistan, one should not become suspicious of all Pakistanis.

    One should also be careful not to overgeneralize and "mix" issues e.g., claim that the issue of undocumented immigrants is directly related to the risk of terrorism. It isn't. The former is largely a phenomenon of economic migration. That a relatively porous border could be exploited by others does not change the reality associated with undocumented immigrants. The latter has been the result largely of ideology and/or specific personal circumstances/perceived grievances (Oklahoma City bombing, 9/11, plane crash in the Austin IRS building, etc.).

  7. #37
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    05-25-10 @ 05:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    324

    Re: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Wow, Orlando. bearing a grudge, are we, for previous spankings?


    No grudge here. Clearly, you're no deep-thinker and to call anyone else "stupid" is analogous to the pot calling the kettle "black" and, besides, it's uncalled for. Of course, there are two sets of rules in this forum. One set is for the clique establishment here and the other is for everyone else. Now, where's Captain Coward?

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,982

    Re: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    True...or we could pull our head out of our ass and recognize the obvious.

    Good lord.
    There's a difference between going "I personally believe that this was islamic jihad" and "I think the cops are just trying to spare the muslims feelings by not saying Islamic Jihad".

    No, the cops shouldn't "pull their head out of their ass" to paraphrase you (which is a very poor way to term it) on this for a public statement. Why? Because police officers should not be presenting ASSUMPTIONS as FACT and calling it Islamic Terrorism at this time when they're not sure of it is an ASSUMPTION.

    Our police and investigative individuals should not be putting assumptions out as fact to the public because it causes information errors and creates significant issues if the assumption ends up turning out to be false.

    Police, when speaking to the public, should stick to the facts and only the facts.

    While I disagree with people jumping to conclussions and immedietely calling this Islamic Extremism, I have no problem really with them doing it. However I do have a problem with them suggesting that the cops or even the administration is weak for doing intelligent, reasonable, adult police and investigative work and communication. Those in charge of our security should not be making statements of fact based off nothing but loose assumption.

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,982

    Re: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

    Moderator's Warning:
    American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb PlotPlease ignore Mr. Gringo. Apparently a warning wasn't enough to set him straight so he is now on a 2 day vacation. Please return to your regularly scheduled topic

  10. #40
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: American Who Recently Visited Pakistan Eyed in Times Square Bomb Plot

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Several quick things:

    1. The arrest of the terrorist suspect has been made.
    2. He is a naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in Pakistan.
    3. The investigation will yield his motives and other useful information.

    Such questions, among others will be covered by the investigation:

    1. Did he act alone?
    2. Was he a sympathizer with Pakistan's Taliban or another terrorist entity?
    3. Was he actually a member of Pakistan's Taliban or another terrorist entity?
    4. Was he a radical Islamist and did his ideology influence his actions?
    5. At what point in time did he turn against the U.S. e.g., were his views fairly recent or were they longstanding?
    6. If his views were fairly recent, did some other event in his life change his views to the extent that he took the extreme course of seeking to carry out a terrorist attack?

    At this time, it is still early in the investigation. One cannot automatically assume, for example, that the suspect was a member of Pakistan's Taliban, even if it turns out that he met with them at one time or another when in Pakistan. One should wait for the facts to be established, even if it takes time. Once the facts have been obtained, law enforcement and counterterrorism officials will be in a better position to try to reduce the risk of future terrorist attacks. Depending on the actual facts of this case, perhaps they will be in a better position afterward to make it more difficult for overseas terrorist organizations to "recruit" U.S. citizens/residents, to limit the appeal of radical ideologies among those who might readily be influenced by such ideologies, among other possible measures.

    IMO, the U.S. remains safe. Although the probability of such attacks will likely never be zero, I remain confident that law enforcement, counterterrorism, and Intelligence officials' efforts, bolstered by lessons learned from attacks/attempted attacks in the U.S., not to mention those from the UK, Israel, Spain, Russia, among other places, has kept the probability of major attacks in the U.S. very low. People should not succumb to exaggerated fears. For example, even as the suspect was born in Pakistan, one should not become suspicious of all Pakistanis.

    One should also be careful not to overgeneralize and "mix" issues e.g., claim that the issue of undocumented immigrants is directly related to the risk of terrorism. It isn't. The former is largely a phenomenon of economic migration. That a relatively porous border could be exploited by others does not change the reality associated with undocumented immigrants. The latter has been the result largely of ideology and/or specific personal circumstances/perceived grievances (Oklahoma City bombing, 9/11, plane crash in the Austin IRS building, etc.).
    You have one hell of a nerve making such intelligent, responsible, non partisan, and fair and balanced points. You have now confused the living hell out of the Obama haters and have sent them into a tailspin seeking a fresh bag of crap that they can throw.

    Really - nice job !!!!!
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •