Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 549

Thread: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

  1. #71
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by SingleCellOrganism View Post
    Say what you will about Christians, non-Christians scare me more, simply for the fact that "nothing matters" and "the ends justify the means" type of rationale.
    When you say non-Christians I hope you really mean non-religious people, because you know there are other religions. And even then not all non-Christians have the "end justify the means" rationale. Just because they don't believe in God doesn't mean they don't have morals.

  2. #72
    Advisor BamaBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    510
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The problem is that the word of gourd was made up a few thousand years ago by roaming sheep herders. So, people who use it to justify their deep-seated aversion to gays/lesbians, and think others should take it seriously as well, look rather ridiculous.

    No offense, but I don't need men who died 3,000 years ago to tell me what foods to eat, what clothing fibers to wear, and who to sleep with or how to raise my kids. But if you do, well, it takes all kinds.
    It is perfectly fine that you dont believe it. That is not the point. The point is that the man had a right to say what he thinks. Lots of people say stuff every day that I dont agree with and think are hateful, but they still have the right to say it. Just as I have the right not to believe it.

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    This debate isn't about whether he was wrong. Nobody will ever agree on that.
    Then you (as well as Catz) need to read the rest of my post instead of stopping right at the portion where I quote Scripture because whether the preacher was right or wrong wasn't my point either, nor was it whether or not what he said was right or wrong no matter one's beliefs.

    My point was the man exercised his free speech rights and got persecuted for it merely because somebody didn't like what he had to say. (Interestingly enough, sounds very familiar...kinda like what alot of people do in here when they don't agree with something someone else says that goes against their views. )

  4. #74
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Then you (as well as Catz) need to read the rest of my post instead of stopping right at the portion where I quote Scripture because whether the preacher was right or wrong wasn't my point either, nor was it whether or not what he said was right or wrong no matter one's beliefs.

    My point was the man exercised his free speech rights and got persecuted for it merely because somebody didn't like what he had to say. (Interestingly enough, sounds very familiar...kinda like what alot of people do in here when they don't agree with something someone else says that goes against their views. )

    If it wasn't your point...why did you feel the need to comment that the "preacher was right" in his interpretation of the biblical scripture.

    You post that....and then complain that people take you to task for posting it.
    I agree with you on the second point, however, think you are dead wrong in your first statement.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #75
    Advisor BamaBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    510
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    NO...what Objective Voice said was... "So, what this preacher said according to the word of God is correct." Meaning that he was quoting directly from the Bible. NOT, whether you agree with it being right or wrong.

  6. #76
    Advisor BamaBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    510
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I think we get it twisted when we combine the right to say whatever you want with the viability of the content of the message or dialog plus the venue inwhich we use to convey that message or exchange dialog.

    In other words, was what this preacher said wrong? No.

    Leviticus 20:13 - If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them [men] have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

    Similar wording is found in 1 Corinthines 6 -

    9.Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived : neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10.Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

    So, what this preacher said according to the word of God is correct.
    In other words....yes, the Bible states this and this is what the preacher was quoting. It was true to what the bible states, not whether you believe it or not or whether the statement in and of itself is true or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Was where he said it wrong? According to the article he spoke in a public place which is not against the law.
    self explanatory.

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Did how he say it violate the law? According to the police community support officer, the preacher allegedly "made the remark in a voice loud enough to be overheard by others". What what exactly does that mean? Was it as the preacher said that he had finished giving his surmon when he spoke with a passer-by and perhaps others overheard his quite, but casual conversation? Is that the wrong that was committed?

    According to the article, "the Public Order Act, introduced in 1986 to tackle violent rioters and football hooligans, is being used to curb religious free speech." So, is it possible this preacher was being persecuted and this law is being used as a tool to shut him up?
    All the man was saying is this guy wasnt arrested for really disturbing the peace or whatever. The cop didn't like what he was saying, so he arrested the dude and that is wrong.

    Folks, we really need to stop being so touchy. No one is telling you to believe this or that or anything like it.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    See! Now, there U go again prejudging.
    No. I'm judging you on what you said. You don't like that though, do you?

    I'm on the preacher's side.
    How do you know I'm not?

    And who said that in order for one to be persecuted they had to be put to death in the process? Slaves were also persecuted, and whipped, nad their civil rights violated, but many lived to tell about it including those who were beaten.
    Are you actually equating those things with having your posts debunked on an internet forum? Oh, the soul-crushing agony of persecution by logic.



    My point concerning the preacher is simply this: His voice was silenced not because he broke the law, but because of the content of the message he spoke of.
    No. He was silenced because he broke the law IN ENGLAND. I don't personally support those laws, no matter how wrong-headed and stupid I believe the preacher (and those like him) to be.

    that was more in affect to reel in rowdy crowds at local high school football games than for people of God trying to preach their message on peace, love and harmony in a public venue where apparently they had a right to speak under the law.
    Spare me the love of Jesus. The message he was sharing was one of hate and intolerance towards gay people in the guise of his religious views...views that I personally consider archaic, backward ass, and stupid.

    The law is stupid. So was his message. Do not mistake my defending his right to speak with me condoning his message. His (and your) messages about gays and lesbians are abhorrent, repugnant, and socially retarded. I don't care that they're biblical, the Bible is an archaic document that belongs in the dungheap. We'd be far better off as a society without these silly archaic prejudices.

    Nonetheless, the U.S. is a better system than the British system because people have unrestricted freedom even to put out viewpoints that I find personally disgusting.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 05-03-10 at 09:27 PM.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by SingleCellOrganism View Post
    Say what you will about Christians, non-Christians scare me more, simply for the fact that "nothing matters" and "the ends justify the means" type of rationale.
    You really know nothing about non-believers aside from the bogeyman stories that someone has told you, huh?

  9. #79
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Technically the officer was in the wrong, but my sympathy for the preacher = zero. For years the religious right has repeatedly acted to deny gays equal rights, so when the law is used against a preacher for acting like the dickwad he's grown so comfortable being in this nation, I admit I get a small chuckle out of it.
    So you believe the anal cavity is a sexual orifice rather than the orifice for expelling waste?

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    So you believe the anal cavity is a sexual orifice rather than the orifice for expelling waste?
    Are you trying to indicate that only gays are drawn to the sweet chocolate tunnel? A lot of gay men don't even have anal sex. They rely on oral sex and manual stimulation for sexual contact.

    And, since the mouth is an orifice for eating food, rather than sexual contact, oral sex would be out for you, as well, right? I mean, we'd want to be consistent, right?
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 05-03-10 at 09:38 PM.

Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •