Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 549

Thread: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

  1. #491
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Have you seen me focus on it? I comment on it because others have, but I don't have a particular hang up about it. If other people want to be homosexual, that is their business. It is still a sin as are many things. It is also one of the big ones. However, you are correct, we all sin. I strongly believe in "hate the sin, love the sinner" but perhaps that is the Catholic in me.
    Homosexuality is a sexual orientation, it is not a sin any more than heterosexuality is a sin. Both are simply basic urges, and neither are voluntary or matters of choice. Sin itself is a primitive religious concept, but wrongdoing requires evil intent, and intent cannot logically be attributed to something which is involuntary.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  2. #492
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Homosexuality is a sexual orientation, it is not a sin any more than heterosexuality is a sin. Both are simply basic urges, and neither are voluntary or matters of choice. Sin itself is a primitive religious concept, but wrongdoing requires evil intent, and intent cannot logically be attributed to something which is involuntary.
    Sin has nothing to do with intent, it is not a legal concept. It is something we are all born with. So even basic urges can be sin, such as premarital sex of any kind.

    We as Christians of all types are to try and avoid it, but that is damn near impossible. This is why Jesus, died for us.

    This is a spiritual concept, not a legal one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #493
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    let us go ahead and admit that, of the groups that are definitionally involved in sinful activities, the homosexual community is particularly focused on because it is easier on the Church to do so. generally, homosexuals aren't part of the church in the first place, and historically they have been marginalized. they are safer targets, and furthermore, representative of a particular sin that don't make us uncomfortable to point out.

    that doesn't make homosexual acts not inherenly sinful. but i would rather the Church be willing to deal with (for example) no-fault divorces that are blessed by the individual churches.
    Last edited by cpwill; 05-09-10 at 01:41 PM.

  4. #494
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    let us go ahead and admit that, of the groups that are definitionally involved in sinful activities, the homosexual community is particularly focused on because it is easier on the Church to do so. generally, homosexuals aren't part of the church in the first place, and historically they have been marginalized. they are safer targets, and furthermore, representative of a particular sin that don't make us uncomfortable to point out.

    that doesn't make homosexual acts not inherenly sinful. but i would rather the Church be willing to deal with (for example) no-fault divorces that are blessed by the individual churches.
    Let's also be clear that the Church is not the only, or even the majority religious force opposing gay marriage. They are the loudest because Joe Smith isn't about to fork over the cash for advertising, but it is Joe Smith who consistently votes against gay marriage in the polls.

  5. #495
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    let us go ahead and admit that, of the groups that are definitionally involved in sinful activities, the homosexual community is particularly focused on because it is easier on the Church to do so. generally, homosexuals aren't part of the church in the first place, and historically they have been marginalized. they are safer targets, and furthermore, representative of a particular sin that don't make us uncomfortable to point out.

    that doesn't make homosexual acts not inherenly sinful. but i would rather the Church be willing to deal with (for example) no-fault divorces that are blessed by the individual churches.
    Focusing on sins like greed, gluttony, infidelity, lying, and prejudice would likely alienate the flock and decrease donations. It's always easier to focus on OTHER PEOPLE's "sins." It costs nothing and allows the participants to feel gloriously self-righteous.

    I think the church would do well to remember how Christ spoke to the religious hierarchy of his era..."whitewashed tombs full of rot and all uncleanness."

  6. #496
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,160

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Focusing on sins like greed, gluttony, infidelity, lying, and prejudice would likely alienate the flock and decrease donations. It's always easier to focus on OTHER PEOPLE's "sins." It costs nothing and allows the participants to feel gloriously self-righteous.

    I think the church would do well to remember how Christ spoke to the religious hierarchy of his era..."whitewashed tombs full of rot and all uncleanness."

    Oddly enough, both my former pastor and my current one preach on all those sins far more often than they address homosexuality.

    Actually, there's nothing odd about it... the sins a preacher should preach on the most are the ones his congregation is most guilty of!

    And yeah, there are still some real preachers around... lots of them actually, they just rarely make the news.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #497
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Oddly enough, both my former pastor and my current one preach on all those sins far more often than they address homosexuality.

    Actually, there's nothing odd about it... the sins a preacher should preach on the most are the ones his congregation is most guilty of!

    And yeah, there are still some real preachers around... lots of them actually, they just rarely make the news.
    I found that some denominations are better at this than others. The Southern Baptist churches I've attended seem to be more politically focused, the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches I attended seemed to be more personally focused. When I left being S. Baptist and switched to a more liberal denomination, I was pleasantly surprised that the first sunday I attended a Presbyterian church, the pastor preached on racism...in the south. And it was a beautiful sermon. It was a blessing to me.

  8. #498
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,160

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I found that some denominations are better at this than others. The Southern Baptist churches I've attended seem to be more politically focused, the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches I attended seemed to be more personally focused. When I left being S. Baptist and switched to a more liberal denomination, I was pleasantly surprised that the first sunday I attended a Presbyterian church, the pastor preached on racism...in the south. And it was a beautiful sermon. It was a blessing to me.
    Oddly enough, the chuch I attend and the preachers I'm talking about are SBap.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #499
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I found that some denominations are better at this than others. The Southern Baptist churches I've attended seem to be more politically focused, the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches I attended seemed to be more personally focused. When I left being S. Baptist and switched to a more liberal denomination, I was pleasantly surprised that the first sunday I attended a Presbyterian church, the pastor preached on racism...in the south. And it was a beautiful sermon. It was a blessing to me.
    My dad is a Southern Baptist preacher, he never talks about politics from the pulpit. Each church has it's own flavor. Although I do agree that there are major denominational differences.

  10. #500
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm not sure about other states, but when the issue was put to the ballot here in SD, we voted for or against gay-marriage, not gays. I don't know of a single state which has banned homosexuals from it's borders.
    Sure, but you've said to homosexuals:

    1 - you shouldn't be able to inherit each others hard-earned social security dollars that I can inherit from my spouse;
    2 - you should spend approximately $2,300 in legal fees to do what I can do with my spouse for free (draw up private inheritance papers, file name-change documents with the courts, etc.)
    3 - you should pay double taxes and NOT be able to declare each other as dependents like I can with my spouse
    4 - you should have to go through legal harassment and difficulty if your spouse were to adopt your biological child OR you shouldn't be able to provide a home for a child (if the state bans non-married people from adopting - unsure if your state does, but some do)

    In essence, you haven't said you hate homosexuals or don't want them in your community; but you've told them that they can love on another, you're just not going to receive any of the rights or responsibilities that you receive when you partner up with your spouse.

    You should forgive people if they feel that you're treating them like second-class citizens when you vote that way. Because it's a little hard to hear someone claim not to be discriminatory and then say: I have no problem with gays, I just think they're lives and relationships shouldn't be respected in the same way mine is.

    Gays are all right, they're just not as good as me. It may not be homophobia; but you can't alter the fact that that's what you are saying to gay people.

Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •