Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 549

Thread: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I like Idaho Mormons. Utah Mormons are like clones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Mormons in Idaho, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I know they have some crazy-ass liquor laws!
    You learn to work around it (the Mormon thing in Utah, and buying liquor). Yes, they can be very sheeplike in their thinking, but there are a lot of good people in Utah. I loved it there.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Oh....and isn't a vagina also used for expelling waste...as is the penis?
    Silly boy, don't you realize that the vagina is only PROPERLY used for expelling live babies? That's the only god-sanctioned use of it.

    Sex should only be performed fully-clothed, in the missionary position, lest anyone enjoy it. Sex is a duty, not an act of pleasure.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 05-04-10 at 08:25 AM.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    You stopped at the point where I illustrated that what the preacher said was based on Scripture
    I don't care that it was based on capitalized S scripture. I made a mocking comment about that, in fact. Who cares? That does not make it protected speech of any sort in the UK. And, we both know it.

    and that's all you saw and it pissed you off that anyone could once again show you where the Bible clearly shows where homosexuality is a sin
    I taught Sunday School in a Southern Baptist church for 15 years. I know what the Bible says. You're so special with your word-handling rightly-dividing ways.

    To your point of view, that's passing one's religious beliefs on someone. But I've done nothing of the sort.
    No. My comment was that the fact that it comes from the Bible is meaningless to the context of the discussion. The bible is an archaic document. Trying to interpret daily life by the rantings of 3,000 year old itinerant goatherds is dumb.

    Why? Because it doesn't conform to your way of life? Because at some point in your life someone misused you based on his/her religious beliefs?
    Awww....feeling persecuted again? No, because I think it's dumb to live your life according to hardline tenets from ancient people who were tribal, violent, misogynistic, and backward-ass in their thinking. Did you similarly seclude your wife for three times as long after she became ritually unclean by giving birth to a daughter as she would have been secluded after giving birth to a son? Fundamentalism is stupid, and does not allow for logical thought. It's being infected by a meme created by someone else that keeps people from having to think for themselves and allows them to cling to their illogical prejudices.

    Sorry, but don't hate me for someone else's wrong-doing.
    Fine. Don't hate ME because I can run logical circles around you.

    First off, I don't believe everything I've read in the Bible and I certainly don't apply alot of the Old Testiment beliefs or rituals in my life. That would be dumb. If I had to slaughter cattle for every sin I've committed we wouldn't have cows!
    Just the stuff that conforms to your own prejudices and doesn't require any special accomodations, right? Butchering cattle is hard. Dismissing gay people as having a right to live their lives by the dictates of their own consciences is hard.

    Second, I don't see an absolute truth to Scripture...
    ORLY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I think we get it twisted when we combine the right to say whatever you want with the viability of the content of the message or dialog plus the venue inwhich we use to convey that message or exchange dialog.

    In other words, was what this preacher said wrong? No.

    Leviticus 20:13 - If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them [men] have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

    Similar wording is found in 1 Corinthines 6 -

    9.Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived : neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10.Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

    So, what this preacher said according to the word of God is correct.
    And, as before, my point to you is so what? The word you speak of is archaic.

    I won't condemn you for it as you apparently are doing to me and others who do have religious values.
    Want a tissue? I didn't condemn you. This is what I said, which you called "persecution." (ROFLMAO)

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The problem is that the word of gourd was made up a few thousand years ago by roaming sheep herders. So, people who use it to justify their deep-seated aversion to gays/lesbians, and think others should take it seriously as well, look rather ridiculous.

    No offense, but I don't need men who died 3,000 years ago to tell me what foods to eat, what clothing fibers to wear, and who to sleep with or how to raise my kids. But if you do, well, it takes all kinds.

    And I'm fine with that. The only time I get upset with anyone here is when they take my words out of context or attempt to belittle me as you're attempting to do.
    I want to reassure you that I've provided your words in their full context. And, I'd like you to know that I'm here with the kleenex in case you're persecuted again.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 05-04-10 at 08:32 AM.

  4. #154
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,970

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    He was having a conversation with a woman about religion, which she willingly engaged in with him. You have an odd notion about what constitutes "jerk running his mouth".




    Sigh. Do we really have to go over this again? There's a thread on DP where The Baron and I both covered numerous verses of scripture defining homosexuality as a sin, even parsing the original Greek in the NT.

    You can like it or not like it, accept it or ignore it, but it is in there: Biblically, homosexual activity is a sin. Period.








    I meant what I said. Phobias refer to irrational fears, or understandable fears taken to irrational lengths. Homophobia is a much-misused term, used to tar anyone who has the slightest reservations about any gay agenda item.

    Believing that the Bible classifies homosexuality as a sin has nothing to do with homophobia, it has to do with being a Bible-believing Christian. There is no reason that fear has to enter into it.





    No sir. The Bible is quite clear on the matter, that homosexual activity, among other things, is a sin in God's sight. I didn't write the Book, take it up with the Author.
    NT:
    Romans 1:26-27
    1 Corinthians 6:9
    2 Peter 2:2-6
    Jude 1:7-8
    Sure, and Leviticus lists off pretty much everything as a sin, so if you want to see any of those things as a sin there it is for you. If I wanted to I could argue that God hates black people because he turned Abel black as punishment for his crime. Of course most people would say that's pretty stupid, but point being that if I wanted biblical evidence for black=bad, well...there it is.

  5. #155
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Sure, and Leviticus lists off pretty much everything as a sin, so if you want to see any of those things as a sin there it is for you. If I wanted to I could argue that God hates black people because he turned Abel black as punishment for his crime. Of course most people would say that's pretty stupid, but point being that if I wanted biblical evidence for black=bad, well...there it is.
    Your opinion of the Bible doesn't change the fact this man was arrested for his religious beliefs.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  6. #156
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,970

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Your opinion of the Bible doesn't change the fact this man was arrested for his religious beliefs.
    No he wasn't.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Dale McAlpine was charged with causing “harassment, alarm or distress” after a homosexual police community support officer (PCSO) overheard him reciting a number of “sins” referred to in the Bible, including blasphemy, drunkenness and same sex relationships.

    The 42-year-old Baptist, who has preached Christianity in Wokington, Cumbria for years, said he did not mention homosexuality while delivering a sermon from the top of a stepladder, but admitted telling a passing shopper that he believed it went against the word of God.

    Police officers are alleging that he made the remark in a voice loud enough to be overheard by others and have charged him with using abusive or insulting language, contrary to the Public Order Act.


    Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin - Telegraph


    Wow. Welcome to politically correct fascism, can I take your order?
    A PCSO arrested him? They do not have the power to do that unless North England has different rules.

    I find it disgraceful that he got arrested but can't say I am surprised anymore by the actions of the police and our laws.
    And lol at people trying to use first amendment rights for UK. UK citizens has never had the right to say whatever we want nor will we ever such a right in a constitution.


  8. #158
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    No he wasn't.
    Actually yes he was.

    He said it was a sin and they arrested him.

    What part is confusing you?
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  9. #159
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,970

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Actually yes he was.

    He said it was a sin and they arrested him.

    What part is confusing you?
    Right, he said it was a sin and so they arrested him (though I suspect there's more to the story). He wasn't arrested because he had a belief in his head and was arrested for it. And I don't know what you're arguing with me over this for since I stated in the beginning that the officer was in the wrong.

  10. #160
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Actually yes he was.

    He said it was a sin and they arrested him.

    What part is confusing you?
    From where are you getting your information that he was arrested simply for stating his opinion that homosexuality is a sin? Have you read witness statements? Have your read transcripts of the hearing? Or are you just taking the Telegraph's word for it? They quoted no one from Cumbria police, indeed the only corroboration for you and their claim that he was arrested for that particular action was the preacher himself. Perhaps the fact of him being a preacher is enough for you to believe his every statement.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •