Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 549

Thread: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

  1. #121
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The idea that people are protected from ever being offended is simply baffling to me. Where does that mistaken idea come from?
    The death of reason?

    It's unusual for me to agree with jallman but I'm afraid I have to in this regard. You can't protect someone's sensibilities without trampling on the sensibilities of someone else. That is why we have freedom of expression. Everyone then has an equal opportunity to be pissed off with everyone else.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Europe, for all its cultural achievement, is still having to imitate something we did over 200 years ago with far less difficulty.
    WE didn't even use the guillotine.

    Because we're AMERICA. **** yeah!

  3. #123
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    So how does that apply to a woman who walks up to a preacher and initiates debate with him about his beliefs and then walks off to get an officer because she found what he related to her offensive?

    I cannot believe English society has become that weak.
    Read the post wherein I gave my opinion upon what happened. My remarks about offensive speech are principle, not necessarily about that particular instance.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    If it wasn't your point...why did you feel the need to comment that the "preacher was right" in his interpretation of the biblical scripture.

    You post that....and then complain that people take you to task for posting it.

    I agree with you on the second point, however, think you are dead wrong in your first statement.
    I posted it because it was part of the larger argument - WHY WAS THEH PREACHER ARRESTED?

    Was he arrested because he broke the law?

    Or was he arrested because he spoke a Biblical truth and the arresting officer used a law as probably cause to arrest him - a law that had NOTHING to do with the charge laid against him?

    That is the basis of my argument. Yet the moment I quoted Scripture to show that the preacher was correct in his view - that homosexuality (as well as being effiminate) is a sin according to God - suddenly the issue is no longer whether or not the Preacher had a right to speak or whether he broke the law towhich he has been accused of violating. Now, suddenly folks have pounced on whether or not I believe as the Preacher believes.

    Well, fact of the matter is I do. But I don't go around calling out gays and lesbians or telling them they're going to hell because I don't know that. But I do know that homosexuality and being effiminate is a sin in the eyes of God. And so, if asked I will stand by that. But that's no different than being asked if drunkeness is a sin. Yes, it is according to Scripture, but I'd no more tell a drunk person he or she is going to hell just because they consumed too much alcohol. But even with the issue of drunkeness people misenterpret it to mean, "Oh, now I can't have a drink?" Yes, you can. Just know that getting intoxicated usually leads itself to other problems and anyone who's been drunk (or reminded of their actions while drunk once they come out of their drunken fog) will likely tell you they did something really stupid that night! You're lucky if you can just laugh about it the next day. Still, I'm not trying to pass my believes on anyone. I'm just trying to explain my point of view and how things tend to get turned around the moment God, religion or one's religious believes suddenly enter the conversation.

    Since my post #51, most everyone has jumped on the religious angle, specifically where I quoted directly from the Bible to show that the preacher was correct in what he said concerning homosexuality. But no one has argued whether or not the preacher was wrongfully arrested based on a law that had nothing to do with the charges brought against him, and that is the basis of my argument. But you were quick to stop at the religious point that strikes down homosexuality and jump me for showing where the preacher was correct from a Biblical point of view. And not once have I attempted to push my religious believe on the matter on anyone else.

    If the basis of my argument was whether or not the preacher's interpretation of Scripture was wrong I'd defend my position wholeheartedly. But since that's not what I was arguing, I'll save that for another thread.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Everyone then has an equal opportunity to be pissed off with everyone else.
    A long, rich tradition in the U.S., I might add. And our politicians used to kill each other over minor insults. Because we're badasses.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Read the post wherein I gave my opinion upon what happened. My remarks about offensive speech are principle, not necessarily about that particular instance.
    I think that's where we diverge. I don't think there's an obligation by society as a whole to protect someone's feelings. I don't think people should run around being offensive but I don't think people should walk around with an expectation that their being offended is some violation.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I posted it because it was part of the larger argument - WHY WAS THEH PREACHER ARRESTED?
    Is it really so hard for you to understand that the preacher was arrested because the UK limits hate speech?

    I don't support the concept of hate speech. I believe in almost absolute freedom of speech.

    But I also think that "biblical truth," particularly in this instance, is an oxymoron.

    Now, suddenly folks have pounced on whether or not I believe as the Preacher believes.

    Well, fact of the matter is I do.
    Well, color me astounded.

    But I do know that homosexuality and being effiminate is a sin in the eyes of God. And so, if asked I will stand by that.
    That's awesome. Your beliefs are dumb.

    I'm just trying to explain my point of view and how things tend to get turned around the moment God, religion or one's religious believes suddenly enter the conversation.
    Yeah. You see it as absolute truth, I think it's more than a little ridiculous and subjective. When I challenge your beliefs, you get butt hurt and feel persecuted.

    Get over it. You put your beliefs out there, some people aren't going to like them. That's how free speech works. You get a chance to have your say, other people have the same chance to say your say is stupid. Free speech does not mean a mutual admiration society. It means that someone may very well be offended by what you say, and offend you in turn. Free speech can be complicated like that.

    The end.

    But no one has argued whether or not the preacher was wrongfully arrested based on a law that had nothing to do with the charges brought against him
    That's because he wasn't arrested in the U.S., and the arrest isn't illegal based upon British law.

    And not once have I attempted to push my religious believe on the matter on anyone else.
    That's right. You just posted biblical truth here, and those of us who think that a monkey could have typed something equally good had our chance to post our version of truth here. And now you're sad.

    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 05-03-10 at 10:52 PM.

  8. #128
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    A long, rich tradition in the U.S., I might add. And our politicians used to kill each other over minor insults. Because we're badasses.
    I'm all for bringing dueling back. In fact, I think it is essential to regain some of the civility that we have lost as a society. People might be a little more careful about what they say if they have to face the barrel end of a gun for saying it.

  9. #129
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I think that's where we diverge. I don't think there's an obligation by society as a whole to protect someone's feelings. I don't think people should run around being offensive but I don't think people should walk around with an expectation that their being offended is some violation.
    I can actually see the point you are making, and often people are just too thin-skinned. But there are good reasons for hate-speech laws (which are just an extension of incitement to violence laws,) and I prefer to live in a society where some nutter is not allowed to broadcast what he likes, irrespective of its effect upon others. Autres temps; autres moeurs, I guess.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I'm all for bringing dueling back. In fact, I think it is essential to regain some of the civility that we have lost as a society. People might be a little more careful about what they say if they have to face the barrel end of a gun for saying it.
    I can't really agree with that at all.

Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •