Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 74

Thread: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,924

    Re: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

    I get what he's saying to a point.

    There's little point at this moment of putting more laws into place on a national level becasue the ones we have aren't being enforced. Its one of those things if you "ground" your kid and he just ignores it and leaves the house anyways will "grounding" him again do any good if you don't stick to it any better than the initial time?

    The federal government clearly doesn't have the will to be tough about immigration laws right now and enforcing the ones we have, so adding more laws nationally will do no good.

    Where I disagree with him is with regards to Arizona. See, while you may say the country as a whole doesn't have a strong enough will for the laws to be enacted, I would say it'd be a VERY difficult argument to say those on the border states don't. Arizona adding a law on top of federal law IS different, because its not relying on the Fed's to enforce the law. They are actually taking matters into their own hands because the federal government has utterly and completely failed them at doing its job.

    Its precisely the governments pathetic efforts at enforcing current existing law that is causing situations like in Arizona. The "law" isn't the problem, he's right, we have decent law (it could be better). Its the enforcing of it. We could have the greatest, most perfect immigration law ever....if the people who are supposed to enforce it don't then it'd be as meaningless as what we currently have.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.
    "One of the greatest human failings is to prefer to be right than to be effective" - Stephen Fry

  2. #62
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    So illegals have no will of their own?

    The illegals are the problem. They force the law to be enacted. Personal responsibility
    ????

    That response makes little sense to me. People will always try to better their lives. So, while I agree people choose to break laws, some in understandable ways and others not so much, it has nothing to do with what I said. We, our leaders, have no will to enforce the laws we have. There are plenty of laws on the books to address this problem, but we don't enforce them. I would be surprised if we enforced these. It's all mostly show, and it will back fire on those who passed it. And this has nothing to do with any feeling at all about illegals, which I agree should not be here.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I get what he's saying to a point.

    There's little point at this moment of putting more laws into place on a national level becasue the ones we have aren't being enforced. Its one of those things if you "ground" your kid and he just ignores it and leaves the house anyways will "grounding" him again do any good if you don't stick to it any better than the initial time?

    The federal government clearly doesn't have the will to be tough about immigration laws right now and enforcing the ones we have, so adding more laws nationally will do no good.

    Where I disagree with him is with regards to Arizona. See, while you may say the country as a whole doesn't have a strong enough will for the laws to be enacted, I would say it'd be a VERY difficult argument to say those on the border states don't. Arizona adding a law on top of federal law IS different, because its not relying on the Fed's to enforce the law. They are actually taking matters into their own hands because the federal government has utterly and completely failed them at doing its job.

    Its precisely the governments pathetic efforts at enforcing current existing law that is causing situations like in Arizona. The "law" isn't the problem, he's right, we have decent law (it could be better). Its the enforcing of it. We could have the greatest, most perfect immigration law ever....if the people who are supposed to enforce it don't then it'd be as meaningless as what we currently have.
    Fair enough. Where we differ is that I don't think states have the will either. In fact, I would argue the problem is even more local than that. Those who do business in a community need the cheap labor, local officials know this, so they turn a blind eye and don't enforce very few laws.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #64
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 12:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    ????

    That response makes little sense to me. People will always try to better their lives. So, while I agree people choose to break laws, some in understandable ways and others not so much, it has nothing to do with what I said. We, our leaders, have no will to enforce the laws we have. There are plenty of laws on the books to address this problem, but we don't enforce them. I would be surprised if we enforced these. It's all mostly show, and it will back fire on those who passed it. And this has nothing to do with any feeling at all about illegals, which I agree should not be here.
    The difference this time is that the state is holding itself accountable and not putting blind faith in the federal government to do its job.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  5. #65
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    The difference this time is that the state is holding itself accountable and not putting blind faith in the federal government to do its job.
    I wouldn't put too much faith in that. Again, this is usually ignored at a local level.

    But if it doesn't fix things, what next?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #66
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    06-22-18 @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,853

    Re: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I have no problem with legal immigrants, but ILLEGAL immigrants have no right to be in the United States and the only rights they DO have is to be humanely deported back to the country of their origin.
    Better yet, a one way ticket to Washington, D.C. Let our elected politicians deal with them...
    Parkinson's Disease sucks.
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    You do know Biometric_passport are a little bit different. They are to make sure that a person is who he says he is. The reason I am against the law in Arizona is because I think it will give polices more thing to harasses people about. Plus, I also think it is kind of a stupid law myself.
    The new federal immigration legislation will require biometric ID's.
    It's being sold as a method of stopping illegal labor but it doesn't work when an employer purposefully hires illegal labor.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #68
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 12:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I wouldn't put too much faith in that. Again, this is usually ignored at a local level.

    But if it doesn't fix things, what next?
    Remember they can be sued for ignoring it as well.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  9. #69
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Remember they can be sued for ignoring it as well.
    We'll see how well that actually holds up. I predict 10 years from now, we'll have the exact same complaints with no improvement. Mark that down.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #70
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 12:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Tens of thousands across U.S. protest Arizona immigration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We'll see how well that actually holds up. I predict 10 years from now, we'll have the exact same complaints with no improvement. Mark that down.
    Marked!

    And you could very well be right

    How does it feel? Being "right"? Pretty good huh
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •