Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

  1. #1
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Well it looks like a done deal......They will start with a few female officers and then integrate enlisted women on the Trident Submarines...These are huge submarines longer then a football field.......They might get away with them there but the Fast Attack Submarines are much smaller and a whole another matter....Stay tuned:




    Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews - Navy News, news from Iraq - Navy Times

    By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer
    Posted : Friday Apr 30, 2010 15:38:22 EDT

    The first 19 women to serve aboard subs will be selected this summer, and will likely be officers new to the Navy, according to the Navy’s guidelines for bringing women into the undersea service. An additional eight female supply officers will be eligible to join the ranks late next year.

    The guidelines, issued by Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead, came in conjunction with Thursday’s official announcement of women being cleared to serve aboard submarines. The change was considered by Congress after Defense Secretary Robert Gates formally presented a letter to congressional leaders Feb. 19 notifying them of the Navy’s desire to reverse the male-only policy.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  2. #2
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Navy, you're our resident Navy expert. How do you feel about Seawomen?
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    Navy, you're our resident Navy expert. How do you feel about Seawomen?
    He doesn't appreciate them as much as he appreciates seamen.

  4. #4
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    He doesn't appreciate them as much as he appreciates seamen.
    Ouch.

    For why? Women can be warriors just as easily as men. I know some women who could kick the living **** out of many marines I know.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    Ouch.

    For why? Women can be warriors just as easily as men. I know some women who could kick the living **** out of many marines I know.
    Thanks for the helpful set-up. As far as Navy's biases against sea women, who knows where those come from. He's old-school.

  6. #6
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    He doesn't appreciate them as much as he appreciates seamen.
    I'll admit, that one got a chuckle.

    But more on TOPIC, I actually agree somewhat with NP. Operational issues on our subs makes integrating women into the crew rather difficult. There just isn't freaking room on a submarine for separate accommodations for female crew members that current regulations would require. While there are probably women willing to put up with shared facilities, the Navy is going to have a hard time with it. Sexual harassment and assault are big enough problems in the armed forces right now, those problems will probably magnify on a long-deployment sub.

    Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it will work out. I hope it works out, full integration of women (and homosexuals) into the military is a goal we should work towards. I think with subs, given the extremely limited space, it might have to wait for our next-generation subs when they can be designed from the start with an integrated crew in mind.

    Then again, people made a pretty similar argument about black people in the military a while back...
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #7
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    He doesn't appreciate them as much as he appreciates seamen.
    I always love it when someone goes for the easy joke.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    Navy, you're our resident Navy expert. How do you feel about Seawomen?
    Its one of the biggest screups the Navy ever made..........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #9
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I'll admit, that one got a chuckle.

    But more on TOPIC, I actually agree somewhat with NP. Operational issues on our subs makes integrating women into the crew rather difficult. There just isn't freaking room on a submarine for separate accommodations for female crew members that current regulations would require. While there are probably women willing to put up with shared facilities, the Navy is going to have a hard time with it. Sexual harassment and assault are big enough problems in the armed forces right now, those problems will probably magnify on a long-deployment sub.

    Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it will work out. I hope it works out, full integration of women (and homosexuals) into the military is a goal we should work towards. I think with subs, given the extremely limited space, it might have to wait for our next-generation subs when they can be designed from the start with an integrated crew in mind.

    Then again, people made a pretty similar argument about black people in the military a while back...
    Well, remember that these first women officers and female enlisted are the first. They have to serve on board submarines with men just to get the experience. Because of this step, 10 years from now we'll be able to have all female submarine crews. So I think that for now we'll have mixed crews on submarines, but in the future we'll be able to have submarine crews that are all-male or all-female, which I think is more preferable than only all-male crews on subs.

  10. #10
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Navy outlines plans to put women in sub crews

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Its one of the biggest screups the Navy ever made..........
    Is it putting women in positions that they can make decisions what is troubling ?

    Or is it mixing women and men on a boat?
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •