Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 118

Thread: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law

  1. #101
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why is everyone still calling this a heathcare bill? It is a law now....a freaking LAW. What the Republican majority should do is merely defund it.
    almost a voice of reality, emerging from the babble of the far right
    and destroy the party further by also defunding social security, medicare and medicaid ... or do you now agree those programs have a valid purpose and deserve funding
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law

    tell it to harry, chuck, dick, jay...

    Capitol Briefing - Senate votes to keep Medicare cuts

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    CBO has to score what they are given, if I wrote a bill and claimed that revenues from our national unicorn farm would rise 500% and not raise any taxes, they would have to score it that way. Still doesn't make it add up, here in the real world.

    Sorry, sweetie, that's not quite how it works.

    The don't score 'claims'.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law


  5. #105
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,607

    Re: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why is everyone still calling this a heathcare bill? It is a law now....a freaking LAW. What the Republican majority should do is merely defund it.
    Just like the anti war Democrats defunded the military.

    It makes a good talking point, but it will never happen.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #106
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Sorry, sweetie, that's not quite how it works.

    The don't score 'claims'.
    You should really research this some more so you won't embarrass yourself further. It is common knowledge, at least among people that follow politics, that the CBO is not allowed to make any budget assumptions except those given it by Congress. If Pelosi tell them that 100% of uninsured people will buy health insurance, that's what they have to assume in their calculations.

    Politics 101.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  7. #107
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    You should really research this some more so you won't embarrass yourself further. It is common knowledge, at least among people that follow politics, that the CBO is not allowed to make any budget assumptions except those given it by Congress. If Pelosi tell them that 100% of uninsured people will buy health insurance, that's what they have to assume in their calculations.

    Politics 101.
    could you please offer a source to document that bold assertion
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #108
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    could you please offer a source to document that bold assertion
    This seems like a silly exercise. I thought everyone knew this basic fact. Guess some people don't follow news as much as others:
    ON Thursday, the Congressional Budget Office reported that, if enacted, the latest health care reform legislation would, over the next 10 years, cost about $950 billion, but because it would raise some revenues and lower some costs, it would also lower federal deficits by $138 billion. In other words, a bill that would set up two new entitlement spending programs — health insurance subsidies and long-term health care benefits — would actually improve the nation’s bottom line.

    Could this really be true? How can the budget office give a green light to a bill that commits the federal government to spending nearly $1 trillion more over the next 10 years?

    The answer, unfortunately, is that the budget office is required to take written legislation at face value and not second-guess the plausibility of what it is handed. So fantasy in, fantasy out.
    Op-Ed Contributor - The Real Arithmetic of Health Care Reform - NYTimes.com

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  9. #109
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,524
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    almost a voice of reality, emerging from the babble of the far right
    and destroy the party further by also defunding social security, medicare and medicaid ... or do you now agree those programs have a valid purpose and deserve funding
    Perfect example of the left using their socialization of |America as a weapon.

    The programs should be funded for those who have paid into them, then deconstructed.

    Are we free people, or wards of the state?
    Can we secure our own futures and assist others, or do we need the government to destroy the fabric of society by confiscating our funds and telling us how to manage our lives?

    The programs serve their purpose perfectly. To buy votes.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Boehner: GOP Will Repeal Health Care Law

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    This is incorrect. What you see is disdain for ignorant voters. A democracy is only as good as those who vote. And American voters are not the most intelligent or informed. The fact that our two parties are locked between not cutting and no revenue raising is sign of that. Not to mention a majority of voters haven't realized that a third party is bad, badly needed.
    Translation: A majority of American voters don't agree with me on most things. Thus they are either dumb or ignorant.

    Tell me how those three things I mentioned will go down with voters. And then tell me how easy it will be to repeal when the elderly, uninsured and everyone 24-26 abandons the GOP. You know why the GOP hasn't seriously gone after social security and medicare? Because of the elderly. Fixing those two would put us back on the path to solvency rather then bull**** talk about immaterial pork. Tiny percentage jumps in either do far more damage then pork spending does. If the GOP actually gave a **** about fiscal conservatism, they'd fix SS and MC. But they won't because it will cost them huge number of votes.
    Yeah, because the GOP never tried to fix SS. That time they tried and were made out as a bunch of evil granny-killers and in the end failed totally never happened. And it certainly didn't happen under Bush, that fiscal mega-liberal.

    Also: you never answered my question, which is why the debate will suddenly change and people will be so much more "informed" the next time around. Don't bother though, I don't really expect you to give a real answer at this point.

    Doesn't care? Do you know what one of the largest complaints about Medicare that the elderly had was? You just argued that arguably the biggest gripe of the largest voting blocs in the country had suddenly doesn't care about it. Try think about that for a moment will ya? It's like saying that all the pro-weed people suddenly stop caring about weed.
    Odd place to cut off my quote. The point was that they may want to fix it, but that concern is vastly overshadowed by the rest of the bill. Hence the elderly oppose it by much larger margins than other age groups. And if after a year of debate they still don't know about the donut being closed now (unlikely, if they're as concerned about it as you claim), there's no reason why they'll suddenly realize it later and change their minds.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •