Type 2—Light Oils (Diesel, No. 2 Fuel Oil, Light Crudes)
• Moderately volatile; will leave residue (up to one-third of spill amount)
after a few days.
• Moderate concentrations of toxic (soluble) compounds, especially
• Will "oil" intertidal resources with long-term contamination potential.
• Has potential for subtidal impacts (dissolution, mixing, sorption onto
• No dispersion necessary.
• Cleanup can be very effective.
Type 3—Medium Oils (Most Crude Oils)
• About one-third will evaporate within 24 hours.
• Maximum water-soluble fraction 10-100 ppm.
• Oil contamination of intertidal areas can be severe and long-term.
• Oil impacts to waterfowl and fur-bearing mammals can be severe.
• Chemical dispersion is an option within 1-2 days.
• Cleanup most effective if conducted quickly.