Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 282

Thread: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    No, I quoted the right post.
    Responding to someone's put-down with something positive about myself is not bragging.

  2. #222
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    only the beginning

    My Way News - Salazar: Gov't failed to assure drilling safety

    the longer this thing bleeds...

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    No, I quoted the right post.
    A show of hands: Who knows the difference between heavy crude and light-sweet crude?

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    A show of hands: Who knows the difference between heavy crude and light-sweet crude?
    Here's a hint: Valdez spilled one type, Deepwater spilled another.

    Bonus question worth +1 internetz: Assuming identical weather conditions, volume of ocean water, tidal forces and geographical location, how does a spill of heavy crude impact the environment differently than an equal volume of light-sweet crude?


    ***
    Here's a free-bi for my alarmist friends: Valdez did not spill it's entire contents. It only spilled 10.9Mil gallons of it's 53Mil gallon cargo.

    If we're only going to discuss volume of oil spilled and not account for any other variable, the Valdez is small potatoes compared to other spills.

    It was the location of the spill, not the volume of oil spilled, which created environmental problems.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-18-10 at 03:19 PM.

  5. #225
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    A show of hands: Who knows the difference between heavy crude and light-sweet crude?
    Everyone does. So? This isn't light crude even though it has a low sulfer content. Are you still in denial and trying to trivialize this spill even though it will cause greater damage than the Exxon Valdez?

    "The current spill "is kind of a worst-case scenario," Tunnell said.

    What makes this spill relentless and most similar to Ixtoc 1 is that it's an active well that keeps flowing. The Exxon Valdez was a tanker with a limited supply of oil. The rig 40 miles from the Gulf Coast may leak for months before a relief well can be drilled to stop the flow, Kinner said.

    And LSU's Overton said: "I'm not very optimistic that they'll be drilling a relief well in three months."

    Type of oil also a problem
    The type of oil involved is also a major problem. While most of the oil drilled off Louisiana is a lighter crude, this isn't. It's a heavier blend because it comes from deep under the ocean surface, Overton said.

    "If I had to pick a bad oil, I'd put this right up there. The only thing that's not bad about this is that it doesn't have a lot of sulfur in it and the high sulfur really smells bad."

    The first analysis of oil spill samples showed it contains asphalt-like substances that make a major sticky mess, he said. This is because the oil is older than most oil in the region and is very dense.

    This oil also emulsifies well, Overton said. Emulsification is when oil and water mix thoroughly together, like a shampoo, which is mostly water, said Penn State engineering professor Anil Kulkarni.

    It "makes a thick gooey chocolate mousse type of mix," Kulkarni said.

    And once it becomes that kind of mix, it no longer evaporates as quickly as regular oil, doesn't rinse off as easily, can't be eaten by oil-munching microbes as easily, and doesn't burn as well, experts said.

    That type of mixture essentially removes all the best oil clean-up weapons, Overton and others said.

    Under better circumstances, with calmer winds and water, the oil might have a chance of rising without immediately emulsifying, but that's not happening here, Kulkarni said. It's pretty much mixed by the time it gets to the surface"


    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36878803...ience-science/
    Last edited by USA_1; 05-18-10 at 05:27 PM.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  6. #226
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Here's a hint: Valdez spilled one type, Deepwater spilled another.

    Bonus question worth +1 internetz: Assuming identical weather conditions, volume of ocean water, tidal forces and geographical location, how does a spill of heavy crude impact the environment differently than an equal volume of light-sweet crude?


    ***
    Here's a free-bi for my alarmist friends: Valdez did not spill it's entire contents. It only spilled 10.9Mil gallons of it's 53Mil gallon cargo.

    If we're only going to discuss volume of oil spilled and not account for any other variable, the Valdez is small potatoes compared to other spills.

    It was the location of the spill, not the volume of oil spilled, which created environmental problems.
    You might want to do some research before you look foolish.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Everyone does. So? This isn't light crude even though it has a low sulfer content. Are you still in denial and trying to trivialize this spill even though it will cause greater damage than the Exxon Valdez?

    "The current spill "is kind of a worst-case scenario," Tunnell said.

    What makes this spill relentless and most similar to Ixtoc 1 is that it's an active well that keeps flowing. The Exxon Valdez was a tanker with a limited supply of oil. The rig 40 miles from the Gulf Coast may leak for months before a relief well can be drilled to stop the flow, Kinner said.

    And LSU's Overton said: "I'm not very optimistic that they'll be drilling a relief well in three months."

    Type of oil also a problem
    The type of oil involved is also a major problem. While most of the oil drilled off Louisiana is a lighter crude, this isn't. It's a heavier blend because it comes from deep under the ocean surface, Overton said.

    "If I had to pick a bad oil, I'd put this right up there. The only thing that's not bad about this is that it doesn't have a lot of sulfur in it and the high sulfur really smells bad."

    The first analysis of oil spill samples showed it contains asphalt-like substances that make a major sticky mess, he said. This is because the oil is older than most oil in the region and is very dense.

    This oil also emulsifies well, Overton said. Emulsification is when oil and water mix thoroughly together, like a shampoo, which is mostly water, said Penn State engineering professor Anil Kulkarni.

    It "makes a thick gooey chocolate mousse type of mix," Kulkarni said.

    And once it becomes that kind of mix, it no longer evaporates as quickly as regular oil, doesn't rinse off as easily, can't be eaten by oil-munching microbes as easily, and doesn't burn as well, experts said.

    That type of mixture essentially removes all the best oil clean-up weapons, Overton and others said.

    Under better circumstances, with calmer winds and water, the oil might have a chance of rising without immediately emulsifying, but that's not happening here, Kulkarni said. It's pretty much mixed by the time it gets to the surface"


    Experts: Oil spill is the ?bad one? they feared - Science- msnbc.com
    Ooohhh sorry, so close.

    We're not comparing the oil in from Deepwater to oil of the surrounding aria. We're comparing the oil from Deepwater to the oil from the Valdez, which came from Prudo Bay.

    You still get half credit if you submit a correct answer late, however.

    ***
    Oh, and a relief well is not the only attempt to control the oil, either. While a relief well is still under way, the faster plan is to attach a pipe to the remains of the blown out well and drain it down until it loses pressure (sound familiar...wells loosing pressure...). Then they'll pump in cement and tomb the well.

    You need to learn to trust you enemies. Evil greedy corporations are not going to let one drop of their black gold get away if they can help it. There's no money in spilling your raw materials all over the ocean.

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    You might want to do some research before you look foolish.
    That's not the correct answer, either. No bonus internetz for you

  9. #229
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Ooohhh sorry, so close.

    We're not comparing the oil in from Deepwater to oil of the surrounding aria. We're comparing the oil from Deepwater to the oil from the Valdez, which came from Prudo Bay.

    You still get half credit if you submit a correct answer late, however.

    ***
    Oh, and a relief well is not the only attempt to control the oil, either. While a relief well is still under way, the faster plan is to attach a pipe to the remains of the blown out well and drain it down until it loses pressure (sound familiar...wells loosing pressure...). Then they'll pump in cement and tomb the well.

    You need to learn to trust you enemies. Evil greedy corporations are not going to let one drop of their black gold get away if they can help it. There's no money in spilling your raw materials all over the ocean.
    Its not light sweet crude like you were implying. It's bad shiit, just as bad as the shiit from Exxon Valdez. You were wrong. Again. This spill will make that one look trivial.

    Face it. You have been wrong about everything so far. Why ruin your record?
    Last edited by USA_1; 05-18-10 at 08:18 PM.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Its not light sweet crude like you were implying. It's bad shiit, just as bad as the shiit from Exxon Valdez. You were wrong. Again. This spill will make that one look trivial.

    Face it. You have been wrong about everything so far. Why ruin your record?
    Friendly FYI: bypassing the word censor can earn you points. It's nice to know you think I'm worth earning points over

    ***
    Sorry, you did not give the correct answer.

    Let's review:

    1. The initial analysis is the sample taken by NOAA. A NOAA rep stated that it was only one sample; they didn’t expect the results and wondered if it was an anomaly. They decided not to make any claims until further testing was conducted. Apparently, BP and Transocean are keeping their results close to the vest. Who has verified the initial test results with greater number of samples and where/what are the results?

    2. The fact that Overton states the “oil emulsifies well” means this oil is not a heavy crude. Medium or a mix of light and medium but not heavy. Think of the difference between emulsifying Crisco vs. olive oil.

    3. If the current oil is making an emulsified, sticky mess, we wouldn’t expect to see the slick increase in size as we are seeing (doubling, tripling overnight) as well as the slick breaking up into many areas with such a thin sheen. The characteristics of the slick expansion indicate lighter crude.

    4. Heavier crude is much easier boomed and skimmed than light. Light is more difficult to 'round up' and it doesn’t like to stick to the skimmers. These containment and collection techniques have not produced the results expected with several publicly stating the inefficacy was due to 1. a lighter weight crude, which is difficult to boom and 2. weather conditions.

    5. And, finally, Overton correlates a heavier characteristic (density) of crude to two things: depth and age. He is only partly accurate: Most heavy crude is found at shallow depths because over time the crude migrates to the surface where it degrades and light hydrocarbons escape. Heavy crude (and extra heavy, unconventional crude) is deficient in hydrogen and typically abundant in sulfur (as well as carbon and heavy metals).

    Ken Salazar: Government failed to assure drilling safety in Gulf oil spill
    BP boss Tony Hayward admits job is on the line over Deepwater oil spill | Business | The Guardian
    HowStuffWorks "How Oil Refining Works"
    HowStuffWorks "Striking Oil"
    Exxon Valdez: a glimpse of the future for Louisiana? | NOLA.com
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-18-10 at 09:15 PM.

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •