Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 282

Thread: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

  1. #151
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    divers can go to 5k feet?



    If that diver is the awesomeness that is the Good Reverend, 5k feet is the kiddie pool.....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Does he ever? I'm suprised he hasn't blamed bush yet for not scuba diving down thier and welding it shut himself yet.
    Halliburton! Halliburton! No-bid contracts!!!

  3. #153
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Halliburton! Halliburton! No-bid contracts!!!




    KBR to Get No-Bid Army Work as U.S. Alleges Kickbacks (Update1) - BusinessWeek
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #154
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Does he ever? I'm suprised he hasn't blamed bush yet for not scuba diving down thier and welding it shut himself yet.
    Isn't that pretty much what you were blaming Obama for?

    The irony just drips from your posts.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  5. #155
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Isn't that pretty much what you were blaming Obama for?

    Actually, no I'm not. Actually I blamed the failure on three administrations and the interior dept.


    The irony just drips from your posts.

    Actually, you FAILED as usual.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #156
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It just occurred to me that at some point the well will lose pressure long before all of it's contents are spilled; this is why rigs have to inject steam or mud into a well to get it to produce after a short time.

    This means the '3x worse than Exxon Valdez' doomsday scenario is truly just a scare tactic, because that scenario requires the expulsion of the well's entire contents which the well doesn't have the pressure to do.
    It's even easier than that. Just thread the broken pipe and screw on a standard shut-off valve. They could have done it that way from the start, but it takes a long time for politicians and pundits to learn anything.

    As for it being a mile deep, engineers can manage that too with robotic arms.

    ricksfolly

  7. #157
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It just occurred to me that at some point the well will lose pressure long before all of it's contents are spilled; this is why rigs have to inject steam or mud into a well to get it to produce after a short time.

    This means the '3x worse than Exxon Valdez' doomsday scenario is truly just a scare tactic, because that scenario requires the expulsion of the well's entire contents which the well doesn't have the pressure to do.
    Aren't you the guy that said this is no big deal, it happens all the time?

    It is very likely that this will be a bigger spill than Exxon Valdez and the damage could be infinitely worse. People live on the Gulf Coast. Scare tactics. That's funny. This well is a mile under water and Oil is lighter than water. It is going to come to the surface as long as there is a pathway. They don't inject steam into wells a mile under the water.
    Last edited by USA_1; 05-13-10 at 05:42 PM.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  8. #158
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    It's even easier than that. Just thread the broken pipe and screw on a standard shut-off valve. They could have done it that way from the start, but it takes a long time for politicians and pundits to learn anything.

    As for it being a mile deep, engineers can manage that too with robotic arms.

    ricksfolly


    Blaming politicians for this one is quite the stretch.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    Aren't you the guy that said this is no big deal, it happens all the time?

    It is very likely that this will be a bigger spill than Exxon Valdez and the damage could be infinitely worse. People live on the Gulf Coast. Scare tactics. That's funny. This well is a mile under water and Oil is lighter than water. It is going to come to the surface as long as there is a pathway. They don't inject steam into wells a mile under the water.
    Here's the correct answer:

    Initially, the natural pressure from the subsurface petroleum reservoir is sufficient to push fluids and gas to the surface. Eventually, however, this pressure declines, and the use of a pump or injections of gas, oil or water are required to bring the *petroleum to the surface. By adding water or gas to the reservoir, engineers are able to increase reservoir pressure, causing the petroleum to rise again. In some cases, compressed air or steam is sent down a well to heat the remaining petroleum, which also increases pressure.
    HowStuffWorks "Striking Oil"

    ***
    The well will loose pressure and slow to a crawl. If it contains 3x the Valdez, all of that oil will not reach the surface.

  10. #160
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: US bans offshore drilling as Deepwater Horizon slick hits land

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Here's the correct answer:

    Initially, the natural pressure from the subsurface petroleum reservoir is sufficient to push fluids and gas to the surface. Eventually, however, this pressure declines, and the use of a pump or injections of gas, oil or water are required to bring the *petroleum to the surface. By adding water or gas to the reservoir, engineers are able to increase reservoir pressure, causing the petroleum to rise again. In some cases, compressed air or steam is sent down a well to heat the remaining petroleum, which also increases pressure.
    HowStuffWorks "Striking Oil"

    ***
    The well will loose pressure and slow to a crawl. If it contains 3x the Valdez, all of that oil will not reach the surface.
    Note the word "eventually" in Jerry's explanation? (Don't miss "if" either!) Another, just as accurate, use of the word "eventually" might be, "Eventually our Sun will burn out and all life on the Earth will die." Now, should we start saying our prayers in anticipation of meeting our maker solely because our Sun will "eventually" die? It might help to know how long "eventually" might mean when talking about how long our Sun has left, ya think? Our Sun is estimated by some to be expected to last for another 5 billion years. Well, that certainly puts that use of "eventually" in a proper context. Doncha think?

    So, how long might "eventually" mean re: how long the oil might continue to spew from the ocean floor polluting our environment?

    Instead of talking about day dreams, as if they are facts, let's use some facts shall we?

    Deepwater Horizon was finishing work on an exploration well named Macondo, in an area called Mississippi Canyon Block 252. After weeks of drilling, the rig had pushed a bit down over 18,000 feet, into an oil-bearing zone. The Transocean and BP personnel were installing casing in the well. BP was going to seal things up, and then go off and figure out how to produce the oil -- another step entirely in the oil biz.

    The Macondo Block 252 reservoir may hold as much as 100 million barrels. That's not as large as other recent oil strikes in the Gulf, but BP management was still pleased. Success is success --
    certainly in the risky, deep-water oil environment. The front office of BP Exploration was preparing a press release to announce a "commercial" oil discovery.
    Transocean Deepwater Horizon Explosion-A Discussion of What Actually Happened? - Drilling Ahead

    There are possibly 100 million barrels of oil under the ocean floor spewing into the Gulf of Mexico. Wow! Mind you that's 100 million "barrels" of oil, not "gallons"! So far, it's spewed about 4 million gallons. That's 4 million gals / 42 gals/barrel = 95,238 barrels of oil in the water. So, there are still approx. 100,000,000 - 95,238 = 99,904,762 barrels still under the ocean that could possibly pump out into the ocean. Or 99,904,762 * 42 = 419,600,004 gallons!!!

    To be fair, one thing Jerry said is actually true, that every drop of oil that's under the ocean will not be pumped out. But, out of the 99,904,762 barrels of oil that might still be in the ground, how much can we expect to spill?

    The most optimistic estimates say that it will likely take at least 90 days to cap the well and stop the flow of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. Even if we accept the official (and by most accounts low) BP and government spill-rate estimate of 5,000 barrels a day, that's nearly 19 million gallons of oil spilling into the gulf over the next three months. If the rate turns out to be closer to 25,000 barrels a day, the underwater well would pump 94.5 million gallons of oil into the gulf by late July--more than eight times as much as the Exxon Valdez spilled into Alaska's Prince William Sound in 1989.
    Straight Talk: How Much Oil is Really Spilling Into the Gulf of Mexico?

    So, unless BP comes up with an engineering miracle, there is a very real chance that this spill will far exceed the Exxon Valdez accident, which spilled "only" 11 million gallons.

    That's today's lesson on the real meaning of "eventual" and why it's important to put its use in proper and accurate context. Spinning words, on such a serious issue, to make a purely partisan political point is... well... sad.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •