Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 499

Thread: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    This one was pretty bad. An AirMed pilot said within 30mi they had to switch off the nightvision in their helos because they had light oversaturation from the flames, and within 18mi his cabin was completely lit up. These are rare though to get back to your original point and the safety regulations in that industry are pretty tight and get the job done for the most part. The ecological damage is gonna be bad here, there is no question about that, but alot of people are miking this for political reasons, I don't think that's cool at all since 11 people almost certainly lost their lives(currently unaccounted for......but they are out of the window of survivability) and many people who count on the coast for a living are going to suffer, from seafood harvesters, to fishermen, etc.
    I'm at the wait and see point right now and realize that we have very qualified people handling this at this very moment.
    Liberals like to "oh noes Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez!11!!"

    ....without stopping to think "until now there hasn't been a bad accident since the Exxon Valdez"

    21 years without a major accident is pretty damn good.

  2. #82
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Liberals like to "oh noes Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez!11!!"

    ....without stopping to think "until now there hasn't been a bad accident since the Exxon Valdez"

    21 years without a major accident is pretty damn good.
    The La. gulf coast has a nearly exemplary record. This is one mark, and from what I understand a valve failure and naturally occuring gasses are the probable culprit......can't do anything about that. To me this was an unfortunate accident, whereas the Valdez was human error, but you have it exactly right, the two largest scale disasters are 21 years apart. In fact those guys on the rig are much safer than the divers who set up under them, much safer.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #83
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Liberals like to "oh noes Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez!11!!"

    ....without stopping to think "until now there hasn't been a bad accident since the Exxon Valdez"

    21 years without a major accident is pretty damn good.
    The airline industry sure can't boast that kind of record, yet we don't hear the usual assclowns clamoring to shut that down. Interesting, ain't it?

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by TPD Founder View Post
    Many fish will die today
    I think I'll stock up on frozen shrimp.

  5. #85
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    I think I'll stock up on frozen shrimp.
    Good idea. There are other areas that provide, but obviously there's gonna be a run because my area is out of commission. Actually though, there was a special season opened to provide La. Harvesters a buffer against the landfall effects.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #86
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    I think I'll stock up on frozen shrimp.
    Get your crawdads when you can, too. They will probably become scarce very soon.

  7. #87
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    The last thing you need to be lecturing me on is oil rigs, champ. I've forgotten more about such things than you'll ever know. You would be wise to back right the **** off of that tack unless you just enjoy being clowned.
    Relax Francis! Your bellowing doesn't impress anyone here. Obviously, you have no appreciation, or empathy, for the impact on the environment or businesses when an accident like this happens. Seems all you care about is how much oil can be pumped out - no matter whose business it bankrupts, no matter how many sea creatures are killed, no matter if it decimates the fishing in the area. Your selfishness is astounding.

    The fact that accidents, of this degree, don't happen often may look good on the oil company's Accident Report but, that is little concern to those directly impacted by this. This could wipe out businesses and families' finances, devastate state's and localities tourism industry and much more.

    Now, I'm really sad you don't have the command of the English language to say what you actually mean, but don't try to piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. What you typed is there for all to read. Grow the **** up and own it or take a walk. You decide.Boy, you kicked the **** out of that straw man there, didn't ya?
    Boy?

    Is English your second language? That may explain your poor reading comp. No problemos Samos!

    Now make a responsive argument or get the **** out of my face. Understand?
    Do you actually think that threatening and bullying someone on this forum scares anyone? Seriously? You're very brave behind these internet skirts, ehh? Typical bully behavior. Oi vey!
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  8. #88
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Relax Francis! Your bellowing doesn't impress anyone here. Obviously, you have no appreciation, or empathy, for the impact on the environment or businesses when an accident like this happens. Seems all you care about is how much oil can be pumped out - no matter whose business it bankrupts, no matter how many sea creatures are killed, no matter if it decimates the fishing in the area. Your selfishness is astounding.

    The fact that accidents, of this degree, don't happen often may look good on the oil company's Accident Report but, that is little concern to those directly impacted by this. This could wipe out businesses and families' finances, devastate state's and localities tourism industry and much more.



    Boy?

    Is English your second language? That may explain your poor reading comp. No problemos Samos!



    Do you actually think that threatening and bullying someone on this forum scares anyone? Seriously? You're very brave behind these internet skirts, ehh? Typical bully behavior. Oi vey!
    You know **** all about the subject, and you can't make an argument without constructing a straw man.

    Go **** all over some other thread and quit wasting my leisure time.

  9. #89
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    You know **** all about the subject, and you can't make an argument without constructing a straw man.

    Go **** all over some other thread and quit wasting my leisure time.
    Sweet dreams Francis.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  10. #90
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    “An estimated 5,000 barrels a day of oil are flowing from the well, and officials said it could take up to 90 days to cap it, making for volumes that could exceed the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster in Alaska and a 1969 accident in Santa Barbara, Calif.” — The Wall Street Journal†

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So?


    1234567890
    Well, there's this …

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Let's not flip out and have an enviro-fit. The article plainly states that it would take 261 days at the current rate to reach the effects of the Valdez oil spill back in 1989. It's been 20 years worth of technological development in dealing with these exact situations. Plus, we know from history, even with 20 year old technology, Alaska didn't come to an end because of it.

    Let me know when 2/3's of a year has passed and this hasn't been handled. Then I'll get a little concerned.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •