Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 499

Thread: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

  1. #71
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    04-30-10 @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Bye fishies.

  2. #72
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    04-30-10 @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Many fish will die today

  3. #73
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If we applied Liberal logic to other things, then if we have to stop drilling over one bad rig, then x170 do we need to not only remove Obama'Care but criminalize any help from a doctor.
    I wonder how many conservatives live on the gulf coast who's livelyhood and way of life is being threatend by this leak. Look I don't think we should stop drilling offshore but we have got to take this incident seriously. They have got to make sure that if an accident like this takes place in the future that there is a way to stop the leak. Right now the plan thay have is going to take to long and could ruin areas of the gulf coast from Texas to Florida And what of the shrimp, and fishing industry? Do conservatives care about sport fishing and waterfowl hunting. What about the tourism industry? Closing down beaches for who knows how long.

    This is not a Conservative or liberal issue. Its a tragedy for all of us.

    And what's the posibility that more oil is leaking than they are letting on?
    Last edited by SgtRock; 04-30-10 at 12:22 AM.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  4. #74
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Somewhere in America, there was a car accident...quick let's get rid of all cars!!!
    Apples and oranges
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  5. #75
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    I wonder how many conservatives live on the gulf coast who's livelyhood and way of life is being threatend by this leak. Look I don't think we should stop drilling offshore but we have got to take this incident seriously. They have got to make sure that if an accident like this takes place in the future that there is a way to stop the leak. Right now the plan thay have is going to take to long and could ruin areas of the gulf coast from Texas to Florida And what of the shrimp, and fishing industry? Do conservatives care about sport fishing and waterfowl hunting. What about the tourism industry? Closing down beaches for who knows how long.

    This is not a Conservative or liberal issue. Its a tragedy for all of us.

    And what's the posibility that more oil is leaking than they are letting on?
    It's going to take time because of the flow, but the last report I heard was 2-3 weeks, still not good but will be better than earlier projections. The current plan is to divert the pressure with a directional drill, sounds like a good fix. There will obviously be some damage but I think that we all have to wait and see the extent after the gusher is contained.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    I wonder how many conservatives live on the gulf coast who's livelyhood and way of life is being threatend by this leak. Look I don't think we should stop drilling offshore but we have got to take this incident seriously. They have got to make sure that if an accident like this takes place in the future that there is a way to stop the leak. Right now the plan thay have is going to take to long and could ruin areas of the gulf coast from Texas to Florida And what of the shrimp, and fishing industry? Do conservatives care about sport fishing and waterfowl hunting. What about the tourism industry? Closing down beaches for who knows how long.

    This is not a Conservative or liberal issue. Its a tragedy for all of us.

    And what's the posibility that more oil is leaking than they are letting on?
    The Deepwater Horizon was in the process of capping the well when the blow-out occurred. It's a common problem, nothing new here. The Timor Sea incident leaked for 10 weeks, where are your threads about that?

    This is just the 10 car pile up you hear about only because it's rare. What you don't realize and like me probably don't care about are the many general accidents which occur all the time and are routien.

    Blow outs happen, and they usually occur during this same transitional period. They leak, sometimes for weeks, sometimes the slick is hundreds of miles wide, thousands of barrels emptied into the sea...but you never hear about it unless some politician is about to make policy and needs a news story to shape public opinion.

    Case in point: http://whitehouse.blogs.foxnews.com/...l-exploration/
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-30-10 at 12:44 AM.

  7. #77
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    200,000 gallons of oil a day does nothing for us? Are you serious??

    Brilliant.

    So what do we do about the other ~1400 rigs in the Gulf that haven't had an accident? Yeah, let's go ahead and shut them off, spike the price of oil overnight, and become even more beholden to our great friends like Hugo Chavez.

    ****ing brilliant idea, champ.
    Hey sonny, reread what I said and you'll see, or won't, that your reading comp failed you once again.

    This is going to STOP all plans for new offshore rigs. Period. And if there are more of these **** ups then I would expect more inspections of existing rigs and stricter regulations on their safety features. Infractions should cost big bucks to act as deterrents. I'm sure any of BP's engineers would have bet his house that their safety features on that rig would not have failed. Yet, here we are.

    Just because you don't give a **** about our environment some of us do. We don't believe that oil should come at "any" cost. If it can't be retrieved safely then it should not be attempted. I'm sure there are many selfish people who can't comprehend that but, that's their problem.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Would someone like to compare this accident to Saddam setting the oil fields on fire?

  9. #79
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The Deepwater Horizon was in the process of capping the well when the blow-out occurred. It's a common problem, nothing new here. The Timor Sea incident leaked for 10 weeks, where are your threads about that?

    This is just the 10 car pile up you hear about only because it's rare. What you don't realize and like me probably don't care about are the many general accidents which occur all the time and are routien.

    Blow outs happen, and they usually occur during this same transitional period. They leak, sometimes for weeks, sometimes the slick is hundreds of miles wide, thousands of barrels emptied into the sea...but you never hear about it unless some politician is about to make policy and needs a news story to shape public opinion.
    This one was pretty bad. An AirMed pilot said within 30mi they had to switch off the nightvision in their helos because they had light oversaturation from the flames, and within 18mi his cabin was completely lit up. These are rare though to get back to your original point and the safety regulations in that industry are pretty tight and get the job done for the most part. The ecological damage is gonna be bad here, there is no question about that, but alot of people are miking this for political reasons, I don't think that's cool at all since 11 people almost certainly lost their lives(currently unaccounted for......but they are out of the window of survivability) and many people who count on the coast for a living are going to suffer, from seafood harvesters, to fishermen, etc.
    I'm at the wait and see point right now and realize that we have very qualified people handling this at this very moment.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #80
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Hey sonny, reread what I said and you'll see, or won't, that your reading comp failed you once again.

    This is going to STOP all plans for new offshore rigs. Period. And if there are more of these **** ups then I would expect more inspections of existing rigs and stricter regulations on their safety features. Infractions should cost big bucks to act as deterrents. I'm sure any of BP's engineers would have bet his house that their safety features on that rig would not have failed. Yet, here we are.
    The last thing you need to be lecturing me on is oil rigs, champ. I've forgotten more about such things than you'll ever know. You would be wise to back right the **** off of that tack unless you just enjoy being clowned.

    Now, I'm really sad you don't have the command of the English language to say what you actually mean, but don't try to piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. What you typed is there for all to read. Grow the **** up and own it or take a walk. You decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Just because you don't give a **** about our environment some of us do. We don't believe that oil should come at "any" cost. If it can't be retrieved safely then it should not be attempted. I'm sure there are many selfish people who can't comprehend that but, that's their problem.
    Boy, you kicked the **** out of that straw man there, didn't ya?

    Now make a responsive argument or get the **** out of my face. Understand?

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •