Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 499

Thread: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

  1. #161
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    Who you claim to "know" and where you live is irrelevant. Experts (people who actually DO have specific knowledge of oil spills) aren't yet sure of the extent this catastrophic event will have. You certainly aren't anywhere near qualified to make predictions. NO ONE, outside of bought and paid for oil industry shills and apologists thinks this CRISIS "is no big deal." Say whatever the &*#% you please. It is a VERY BIG DEAL and is likely to become an even BIGGER DEAL as time progresses.
    The bolded part is spoken like someone who just lost the argument. Who I know means I know what's going on out there, you do not, period. I am qualified to take positions and make predictions because I have people telling me what's going on, you have talking points. You don't know what a true crisis is and we're gonna leave it at that.

    You're gawddamn right I have "an agenda" ...
    Great, take it somewhere it will be appreciated like a DNC convention, drum circle, or the next Earth Day, but it's still coming from a position of zero working knowledge of the subject and frankly not worthy of serious consideration.

    . it's the livelihoods of shrimpers, fishermen, the tourist industry, etc, and the desecration of untold millions of acres of critical coastline habitats and the creatures that have lived there for eons, that now face a possible extinction.
    And now you insert the crocodile tears for people you could care less about until it affects the politics or gives your agenda leverage. I care about those people because they are my fellow Louisianians and could care less about your talking points, especially since you don't have a clue about the situation.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #162
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Links for what, champ? You don't even know what questions to ask.

    Go educate yourself or prepare to be clowned yet again.
    Running away again, ehh?
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  3. #163
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Some people can't express themselves civilly so, they have to resort to bullying. It's akin to being annoyed by a swarm of mosquitos. When you call them on some ridiculous claim, asking them to provide any evidence, they can't because they were bull****ting. Then, being out of options they... call... people names. Oi vey!
    I'm quite familiar with those tactics. I'm fairly new to this site, but not to BBs in general. Personally, I find net bullies to always be nothing but cowards wearing a mask of anonymous courage. Big talk hiding behind a modem and nothing more. Every site has some. But this is off topic, so I'll let it go there.

  4. #164
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    For the measly amount that's harvested vs. the amount of damage that it creates, call me crazy, but I guess I am one of those douchbags that thinks it should be shut down.
    Studies have shown that rigs and pipelines are only responsible for 2% of the oil in US waters. Shutting down offshore drilling for this reason alone would be of practically no effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    It's a double-edged sword, Coronado. Offshore drilling is a band-aid solution. It give a little more life into our oil dependent lifestyle that most of us only know. But it HAS to change eventually. And the only way it's going to is desperation. As long as things are mostly status quo, NOTHING will change. So I am all for $10.00 a gallon gas.
    Are you willing to accept the exponential rise in all goods and services due to $10 gas? I'm not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Furthermore, I doubt that the pittance of oil we retrieve off-shore will make a dent, especially in the amounts we use! However, I am not sure of this, so let me look it up.
    Offshore drilling accounts for about a quarter of US production.
    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I don't think you are and I agree that the impact is disastrous.
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    It only takes one mistake. Can you imaging if they'd all fail?
    We can play "what if" all day long. Right now, Deepwater Horizon accounts for less than 1% of all the rigs out there. Like I said upthread, what else are you willing to shut down because of a less than 1% failure rate?

  5. #165
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Running away again, ehh?
    You don't read so good, do you?

  6. #166
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    I'm quite familiar with those tactics. I'm fairly new to this site, but not to BBs in general. Personally, I find net bullies to always be nothing but cowards wearing a mask of anonymous courage. Big talk hiding behind a modem and nothing more. Every site has some. But this is off topic, so I'll let it go there.
    I'm easy to find, sweetheart.

  7. #167
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    … All they care about is this tragedy softening the blow their party will take over Obamacare and the other idiotic legislation coming from this regime. It makes me sick to think these automatons can't get past partisanship to actually discuss anything intelligently.
    Interesting. For you it's about one side gaining a political advantage; this is all a zero-sum game: one side gains only at the expense of the other. Aren't you the one injecting partisanship in this discussion? I think so.

    For me, I have stated that I think one of the real casualties in this emergency is Obama's offshore drilling proposal. If I was being purely partisan, at the very least, I wouldn't bring it up at all; instead, I would let it just drift away like so much sweet, light crude oil on the gentle waves of the Gulf of Mexico.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  8. #168
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    … The people that live on that coast have been through a hell of a lot worse than this oil spill and they will still be there fishing ten years from now.
    Isn't this one more thing that those hardy, resilient people will have to deal with? Four storms and now this? They will survive it, too, no doubt, but wasn't this a blow they should never have had to deal with? Natural disasters are one thing, but, this was human caused; one which some are already saying was completely avoidable. Now, we see some of the consequences when oversight is shortchanged (we had two oil men in the White House for eight of the last ten years) and companies focus on short term returns on investment.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  9. #169
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Speaking of political advantage, or disadvantage...
    The rapidly expanding environmental catastrophe caused by the oil spill off the coast of Louisiana is presenting a growing political challenge to the Obama White House, with Mr. Obama and his aides at pains to defend the response and forestall comparisons to the Hurricane Katrina crisis.

    Nine days after British Petroleum's Deepwater Horizon oil rig blew apart and began spewing 5,000 barrels of oil a day into the Gulf of Mexico, a massive oil slick is set to wash ashore on the southern coast Thursday evening and, experts say, could dwarf the damage caused by the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska.

    Failure to get control of the relief effort and contain the environmental challenge could pose the same kind of political threat to Mr. Obama's popular standing that the much-criticized handling of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina did for former President George W. Bush. And unlike Katrina, it is likely the federal government will be the clear lead authority in dealing with the BP spill.
    Oil slick poses political peril for Obama - Washington Times

    But, it won't hurt Obama because the lamestream media won't obsess about it the way they did Bush's response to Katrina.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    You really are good at these 'apples and oranges' type comments, ain't ya?

    The Exxon Valdez happened in the middle of nowhere. You know, Alaska! (Where the population is so small that an idiot can get elected as Governor.)

    How many businesses do you think were adversely impacted by the Valdez spill?

    How many businesses do you think this spill will affect? Say, from the western border of Louisiana to the western border of Florida. (And that's a conservative estimate. With the wind blowing from the south east to the north west this very well could hit Texas.)

    This accident is going to impact the southern coast of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and maybe Texas and Florida.

    At the rate of the current spill rate of 210,000 gallons per day this accident could spill more than the 11 millions the Exxon Valdez spilled... and then some!

    Look up the populations affected by the Valdez accident and this one. The internet can help you.



    Only for people who don't live there and don't care about those who do.
    When it comes to negative economic impact, this oil spill doesn't even register in the fact of Obama'Care.

    The deaths caused are nothing comapired to doctor's mistakes.

    The environmental impact doesn't exist when set side by side with recent volcano eruptions.

    This oil spill is a non-issue nationally, and a minor issue locally.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-30-10 at 03:12 PM.

Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •