Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 499

Thread: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Odd though. In this case Obama was trying to move forward on some offshore drilling energy plan soon, and it's political pressure as a result of this crisis that will likely make it either halt or be removed.
    That has already happened. Obama has banned any more drilling because of this. When will he stand up and be a man, and not a buffoon? Yet again he gives into political pressure.

    This won't last long. Wait until gas hits 4 dollars a gallon in the midst of a steep recession and high unemployment. Then the winds will blow the other way and he'll rethink it, I promise!
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 04-30-10 at 01:21 PM.

  2. #142
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    I think BP should be banned after all their record ain't that great. Remember when the refinery blew up?

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    The president has issued a moratorium on NEW offshore sites, and an investigation into what went wrong. This sounds entirely sensible to me in the light of this disaster.

    One thing that went wrong here is that this particular well didn't have an electronic shut off switch that can be operated by remote control, which is a critical safety feature.

    Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device - WSJ.com

    Are you naysayers suggesting that we don't look into this incident before expanding offshore drilling operations?

  4. #144
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    So how much gas have you concerned environmentalists used this week? How many plastic products did you use? How much electricity generated via fossil fuels? How many of you have energy stocks in your 401(k)'s and/or IRA's?

    Hopefully, since your care for the environment is so heartfelt and sincere, that number would be zero. Am I right? You concerned liberals wouldn't be big, fat hypocrites, would you?
    You have to be kidding me, Coronado.

    What do you expect? Enviromentalists to live like the Amish? How do you expect people in today's world to live a normal life without using ANY gas or oil-based products? Please, don't go all extreme on me and expect people to live like this.

    Me, I do everything I can to reduce my usage. I have been for years. But there is nothing -- I mean nothing -- that I can purchase that will make me completely independent of oil when it comes to commuting, owning a home and buying necessities. Not in today's world!

    But I am pushing for change and I am as proactive as I can be with my personal lifestyle.

    I, alone, cannot develop these much needed technologies, but we, as a society, can. Unfortunately, that that will only come from desperation, it seems. It does not matter that alarm bells have been ringing since the 70s. It will come only when oil will be more and more scarce, and then we'll finally realize that we are so behind the 8-ball. And people will be bitching why we have not developed ANYTHING that replaces oil.

    I say do it now. This is desperation time.

    And this is why I think offshore drilling is fruitless. It IS finite.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  5. #145
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    You have to be kidding me, Coronado.

    What do you expect? Enviromentalists to live like the Amish? How do you expect people in today's world to live a normal life without using ANY gas or oil-based products? Please, don't go all extreme on me and expect people to live like this.

    Me, I do everything I can to reduce my usage. I have been for years. But there is nothing -- I mean nothing -- that I can purchase that will make me completely independent of oil when it comes to commuting, owning a home and buying necessities. Not in today's world!

    But I am pushing for change and I am as proactive as I can be with my personal lifestyle.

    I, alone, cannot develop these much needed technologies, but we, as a society, can. Unfortunately, that that will only come from desperation, it seems. It does not matter that alarm bells have been ringing since the 70s. It will come only when oil will be more and more scarce, and then we'll finally realize that we are so behind the 8-ball. And people will be bitching why we have not developed ANYTHING that replaces oil.

    I say do it now. This is desperation time.

    And this is why I think offshore drilling is fruitless. It IS finite.
    What I'm trying to point out to the self-righteous douchebags who think all offshore drilling should be shut down permanently is that they're cutting off their noses to spite their own faces. It is short-sighted and idiotic, even more so than assuming that fossil fuels won't run out.

    These people are too stupid to realize that, since there are not now any alternatives to petroleum, shutting down offshore drilling will simply make everything we now buy more expensive and make the US even more beholden to Mexico, Canada, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, etc. They are too stupid to realize that they are directly benefiting from offshore drilling, thus they themselves are part of "the problem," so it is absolutely ridiculous and the height of hypocrisy for them to start pointing fingers at the big, bad oil companies.

    I'm most definitely not in favor of environmental degredation of any sort, despite the words that some of the brain-dead on this thread seek to place in my mouth. Yes, this spill is a tremendous disaster with long-reaching negative effects. It shouldn't just be glossed over. But at the same time, it isn't the end of the world, and it is not some sort of endemic problem. This month the US was operating 1,482 rigs in the Gulf. 1,481 of them had no major problems. This whole issue is in serious need of a little perspective.

  6. #146
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    What I'm trying to point out to the self-righteous douchebags who think all offshore drilling should be shut down permanently is that they're cutting off their noses to spite their own faces. It is short-sighted and idiotic, even more so than assuming that fossil fuels won't run out.
    Got any evidence that ANYBODY has said that, or been calling for, "all offshore drilling be shut down"?

    Maybe the real douche bags are those who claim anyone really is calling for this. Hmmm...
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  7. #147
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Got any evidence that ANYBODY has said that, or been calling for, "all offshore drilling be shut down"?

    Maybe the real douche bags are those who claim anyone really is calling for this. Hmmm...
    You have zero credibility on this issue, or on pretty much any issue for that matter. Buzz off.

  8. #148
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    What I'm trying to point out to the self-righteous douchebags ...
    Why should anyone waste their time trying to have a reasonable conversation with someone that layers on insults and name-calling as if they add to the discussion?

    "self-righteous douchebags" . That's where I stop reading.

    WTG Mr.

  9. #149
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    Why should anyone waste their time trying to have a reasonable conversation with someone that layers on insults and name-calling as if they add to the discussion?

    "self-righteous douchebags" . That's where I stop reading.

    WTG Mr.
    Yeah, pot meet kettle.

    Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

  10. #150
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gulf of Mexico spill may hit coast this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Drilling for oil is a dangerous business. It can be made safer, but it is dangerous. Driving a prius doesn't help, it still uses gas. Only a bicycle helps. This is a really bad thing that happened, but it just reiterates how important my fathers job is, justifying flying all those inspectors out to check on wells and such. How many lives it has saved can't be counted because we'll never know but obviously if one life is saved its worth it!
    I appreciate your down the middle approach, it's commendable. Here's where I differ, bikes really don't help all that much when you consider that the tires and all rubber products on them use petroleum byproduct rubber, as well, all oils required on the chains and joints are byproducts as well. Also, and I love your Prius example, it's been found through studies that during a hybrid's life it will use just as much petroleum as it's straight petroleum counterparts because it uses less gasoline so therefore more driving miles are usually taken at any given time by the car, so the mileage averages out to be similar, as well, the Li Ion batteries are an environmental nightmare in themselves and they usually only last about 10 years. So, "living green" is just lip service to make people feel good about themselves when it really just equates to living down for no actual benefit.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •