Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 77

Thread: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You first, I'm sure your parliamentarian training over years and years gives you insight a mere legal mind would shudder to tread upon. You might find "party of whine" in the same section "the party of no" resides.
    I haven't formed an opinion on the legislation in question to then present any argument.

    Notice how there's no link to the bill in the OP? There's a very good reason for that, and it's not because the author wanted to make a quality news thread.

  2. #12
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

    “Some of these Senators may believe that this obstruction is a good political strategy, and others may see delay as an opportunity to take this debate behind closed doors, where financial industry lobbyists can water down reform or kill it altogether.” — President Barack Obama

    I agree with the president. Who here thinks that the Republicans actually want to ‘improve’ the bill? This is a process of watering down an already watered down bill. Perhaps, we should stop right here with Democrats fighting on the side of little guys and the Republicans voting in block on behalf of their Wall Street overlords.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    “Some of these Senators may believe that this obstruction is a good political strategy, and others may see delay as an opportunity to take this debate behind closed doors, where financial industry lobbyists can water down reform or kill it altogether.” — President Barack Obama

    I agree with the president. Who here thinks that the Republicans actually want to ‘improve’ the bill? This is a process of watering down an already watered down bill. Perhaps, we should stop right here with Democrats fighting on the side of little guys and the Republicans voting in block on behalf of their Wall Street overlords.
    What are you even talking about

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    “Some of these Senators may believe that this obstruction is a good political strategy, and others may see delay as an opportunity to take this debate behind closed doors, where financial industry lobbyists can water down reform or kill it altogether.” — President Barack Obama

    I agree with the president. Who here thinks that the Republicans actually want to ‘improve’ the bill? This is a process of watering down an already watered down bill. Perhaps, we should stop right here with Democrats fighting on the side of little guys and the Republicans voting in block on behalf of their Wall Street overlords.
    Who thinks the Democrats actually want to improve the bill? You said it yourself, until now the bill has been making its way solely through the Democrat Party; becoming watered down all the time. Just because the GOP is pausing (one can say for debate, or just illegitimize them as "obstructionists") for a week or two is hardly compelling evidence that the bill would've made it at all.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    “A party that stands with Wall Street is a party that stands against families and fairness.” — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.)

    Somehow I thought one brave Republican would stand up for working people against the fat cats on Wall Street. How foolish was I? Not a single one? Incredible.

    Seems like the GOP wants to wait until the Messiah returns the contributions His Holiness recieved from Goldman Sachs before serious discussion of what actually needs to be done on financial market reform.

    After all, the same Messiah RAMMED through a health-care bill that addressed the most pressing needs of the Democrat Party to takeover a major industrial sector, and didn't do squat about adressing the facts of medical care and costs. Why should anyone believe that Messiah when he's suddenly targeting the banks.

    You know, the banks that hold our money and our retirement accounts.

    We should take a year or so discussing what really needs to be done. That will give those illiterates in the House and Senate time to read the damned bill they write before they vote on it, and more importantly, it will give us time to see what kind of crooked deals they've tucked into the footnotes of the bill.

    You people should stop demanding miracles from your Messiah and start seeing Him for what He is, a corrupt community organizer from a corrupt city.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    I agree with the president. Who here thinks that the Republicans actually want to ‘improve’ the bill?
    Who here thinks the Messiah has the best interests of America in mind when he demonizes an industry?

  7. #17
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I haven't formed an opinion on the legislation in question to then present any argument.
    Then wouldn't it make more sense for you to read/inform yourself to such an extent as to have an opinion before asking others to provide you their opinion? I'm almost sure seeking opinions before having a base understanding of the issue is not a recommended way to form one's own opinion on a subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Notice how there's no link to the bill in the OP? There's a very good reason for that, and it's not because the author wanted to make a quality news thread.
    Intent of a thread is hardly the focus and a strawman at best. We thrive on issues and open debate, not fallacy request for information with the sole purpose of pointing out inadequacies of a OP thread.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #18
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Who here thinks the Messiah has the best interests of America in mind when he demonizes an industry?
    You have to see the President as a purely politically motivated person. His rhetoric is meant to stir populism and partisan political points. Were his motives pure with American's in the focus - the rhetoric would not be required only actionable legislation would do.

    So to answer your question, no, his interests are not of America, but of how he is viewed politically, how he can manipulate the rhetoric and how to score political points and sway public opinion. Demonization of any industry is a means to an end only. When it suits him he names them "Titans of Industry" or "Wall Street Fat Cats" as the need arises and gets away with it.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Then wouldn't it make more sense for you to read/inform yourself to such an extent as to have an opinion before asking others to provide you their opinion?
    So asking for information is now wrong in your eyes. Wow. FYI I did read the article in full before posting, but the article didn't say anything about the content of the bill, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I'm almost sure seeking opinions before having a base understanding of the issue is not a recommended way to form one's own opinion on a subject.
    For you, perhaps, but not everyone is you. There's nothing wrong with encouraging discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Intent of a thread is hardly the focus and a strawman at best. We thrive on issues and open debate, not fallacy request for information with the sole purpose of pointing out inadequacies of a OP thread.
    You're not debating anything. You're "grandstanding". That's not debate.

    For example:
    “Some of these Senators may believe that this obstruction is a good political strategy, and others may see delay as an opportunity to take this debate behind closed doors, where financial industry lobbyists can water down reform or kill it altogether.” — President Barack Obama†
    Oh right like I'm ever going to believe anything Obama has to say on any policy. That's like asking a Liberal to accept Bush's propaganda for the war in Iraq.

    Another example:
    “A party that stands with Wall Street is a party that stands against families and fairness.” — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.)†
    Oh right like I'm going to believe anything Harry Reid has to say about any policy. That's like asking Liberals to support Sara Palin. here I can play that "because I say-so" game also: Anyone who supports abortion is against children and the family. See? Anyone can make unsupported partisan hyperbole. It's easy.

    So a bill was blocked. So what. Maybe it should have been blocked, maybe not. What are the merits of the bill? What do Republicans claim are the flaws of the bill?

    Perhaps there's nothing wrong with the bill at all and Republicans are just playing another game to get a bone from the majority.

    So, you want to talk about the bill? Let's talk about the bill. How about the author of this thread toss up a link to the bill and give a few lines of unique content to spur the discussion.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-27-10 at 11:04 AM.

  10. #20
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: GOP senators block debate on finance bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So asking for information is now wrong in your eyes. Wow. FYI I did read the article in full before posting, but the article didn't say anything about the content of the bill, either.
    No, asking for an opinion is, as I stated already.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    For you, perhaps, but not everyone is you. There's nothing wrong with encouraging discussion.
    Well, you were asking me, not everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're not debating anything. You're "grandstanding". That's not debate.
    I never claimed to be debating anything. I'm answering your query.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So a bill was blocked. So what. Maybe it should have been blocked, maybe not. What are the merits of the bill? What do Republicans claim are the flaws of the bill?
    An example of why you need to inform yourself and answer your own questions instead of asking opinions based on supposition to answer your questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Perhaps there's nothing wrong with the bill at all and Republicans are just playing another game to get a bone from the majority.
    Perhaps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So, you want to talk about the bill? Let's talk about the bill. How about the author of this thread toss up a link to the bill and give a few lines of unique content to spur the discussion.
    It sounds more like you want to talk about it. So how about you post a link to the bill inform yourself and then we can discuss it. Why rely on others when inherently that reliance usually results in disappointment?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •