Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 172

Thread: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

  1. #1
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    The recovery is picking up steam as employers boost payrolls, but economists think the government's stimulus package and jobs bill had little to do with the rebound, according to a survey released Monday.

    In latest quarterly survey by the National Association for Business Economics, the index that measures employment showed job growth for the first time in two years -- but a majority of respondents felt the fiscal stimulus had no impact.
    Economists say the stimulus didn't help - Apr. 26, 2010

    Surely to be followed by a "it wasn't big enough" response from the far left. A majority of economists believe that this debt monster failed to provide the boost that was promised.

  2. #2
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    NABE conducted the study by polling 68 of its members who work in economic roles at private-sector firms. About 73% of those surveyed said employment at their company is neither higher nor lower as a result of the $787 billion Recovery Act,
    This does not mean the stimulus did not help. In fact, it suggests that the stimulus did something, since 27 % reported an effect.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    FWIW, the NABE survey covered an issue far narrower than the headline might suggest. It dealt with employment. The survey did not solicit opinions on the overall macroeconomic impact of the stimulus, for which the IMF stated that it added 1 percentage point to GDP in its recently-released April 2010 World Economic Outlook.

    From the summary:

    The vast majority (73%) of respondents reported the fiscal stimulus enacted in February 2009 has had no impact on employment to date. While 68% also believe a jobs bill, such as the one recently enacted into law, will have no impact on payrolls, 30% do believe it will boost payrolls moderately.
    It should also be noted that even if one could not find a direct impact on hiring, there would be an indirect boost related to the overall macroeconomic impact (1 percentage point of GDP) of shoring up/strengthening aggregate demand, e.g., the increased aggregate demand would have reduced the rate of employment losses below what might otherwise have occurred.

  4. #4
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    73% "felt" the stimulus had no impact.

    Opinion polls should be banned. From life.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Economists say the stimulus didn't help - Apr. 26, 2010

    Surely to be followed by a "it wasn't big enough" response from the far left. A majority of economists believe that this debt monster failed to provide the boost that was promised.
    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    FWIW, the NABE survey covered an issue far narrower than the headline might suggest. It dealt with employment. The survey did not solicit opinions on the overall macroeconomic impact of the stimulus, for which the IMF stated that it added 1 percentage point to GDP in its recently-released April 2010 World Economic Outlook.

    From the summary:



    It should also be noted that even if one could not find a direct impact on hiring, there would be an indirect boost related to the overall macroeconomic impact (1 percentage point of GDP) of shoring up/strengthening aggregate demand, e.g., the increased aggregate demand would have reduced the rate of employment losses below what might otherwise have occurred.
    Well, by golly, you're right, Taylor, this leftie will be saying exactly that:

    It wasn't big enough

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    obama promised unemployment would cap at 8%

    there ya go

    politics, at gut level, is so very simple

    you can argue (LOL!) the economics of it all

    but few will listen

    and most all of them have already made up their minds

    politically, there's no doubt---the stimulus was a failure

    heck, the administration can't even use the word anymore

    they universally refer to it as the recovery act

    stimulus two was renamed, jobs bill

    y'know, that's the one harrassed harry hemmed down to 16 baby billions

    obama is the most incompetent politician at the national level america has ever produced

  7. #7
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    73% "felt" the stimulus had no impact.

    Opinion polls should be banned. From life.
    Except when they promote your cause of course.

    After all, aren't you one of those folks that champion the "Consensus Science"? That's just an opinion poll...
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #8
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Actually, this is a case of both sides being right. I was an economist, but I'm not anymore, so they didn't ask me. But no, it didn't have a very big impact. A few roads got paved and few people no doubt kept or got jobs, but the overall impact was not much. And yes, if they made it 5 trillion dollars it would have made an impact. But the larger issue is that the stimulus was just a terrible bang for the buck. It was a silly thing to do. And spending more would have been a bigger mistake.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    obama promised unemployment would cap at 8%
    You need to learn the difference between "projection", and "promise". Sorry to disrupt your mindless crying.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by stekim View Post
    Actually, this is a case of both sides being right. I was an economist, but I'm not anymore, so they didn't ask me. But no, it didn't have a very big impact. A few roads got paved and few people no doubt kept or got jobs, but the overall impact was not much. And yes, if they made it 5 trillion dollars it would have made an impact. But the larger issue is that the stimulus was just a terrible bang for the buck. It was a silly thing to do. And spending more would have been a bigger mistake.
    Well, now we've heard from a non-Keynseyan supposed ex-economist. Woohoo.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •