Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 172

Thread: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    But you said:

    The legislative branch has plenary authority to appropriate funds.
    Yes, I remember what I said, and it's still true. Pick up an American government textbook if you don't believe me.

    Prove it.
    Liberal Democrats are the main proponents of entitlement spending, which accounts for the majority of the Federal budget, and hence the Federal budget deficits and debt.

    That I have to explain this simple concept to you is evidence that you will refuse to acknowledge the facts as presented.

  2. #72
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Yes, I remember what I said, and it's still true. Pick up an American government textbook if you don't believe me.
    So why did you say it?

    I took it to mean you were saying presidents are not responsible for spending. Were you just throwing out random irrelevant facts from a text book?

    Liberal Democrats are the main proponents of entitlement spending,
    Sorry, but being a "proponent" of something isn't the same as voting for it.

    That I have to explain this simple concept to you is evidence that you will refuse to acknowledge the facts as presented.
    I am questioning the relevance of your facts, not the facts themselves.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    So why did you say it?

    I took it to mean you were saying presidents are not responsible for spending. Were you just throwing out random irrelevant facts from a text book?
    Why do you need things that are painfully and utterly obvious explained to you?

    Two posters were talking about "Reagan's debt" and "Reagan-era debt". The obvious implication being that Reagan was responsible for said debt. I merely reminded them that the legislative branch has plenary authority to appropriate funds, i.e., Reagan isn't the only one responsible for debt incurred during his Presidency.

    I wasn't saying "Presidents are not responsible for spending." Presidents can be responsible for SOME spending, but they cannot be responsible for ALL spending.

    Sorry, but being a "proponent" of something isn't the same as voting for it.
    But they DO vote for it. Why am I having to explain these things to you!?

    I am questioning the relevance of your facts, not the facts themselves.
    You told me to "prove" that liberal democrats were responsible for MOST of the debt, which is questioning the facts. It's quite a well known FACT that liberal Democrats advocate and vote for the majority of Federal entitlement spending, which accounts for the majority of our Federal budgets. That I have to explain this to you, and REPEAT myself, is evidence that you're just being purposely obtuse and intellectually dishonest.

  4. #74
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Why do you need things that are painfully and utterly obvious explained to you?
    Because you make no sense.

    Two posters were talking about "Reagan's debt" and "Reagan-era debt". The obvious implication being that Reagan was responsible for said debt. I merely reminded them that the legislative branch has plenary authority to appropriate funds, i.e., Reagan isn't the only one responsible for debt incurred during his Presidency.

    I wasn't saying "Presidents are not responsible for spending." Presidents can be responsible for SOME spending, but they cannot be responsible for ALL spending.
    Fine. Thanks for the reminder. Like I said, keep it in mind next time someone talks about Obama's debt too.

    But they DO vote for it. Why am I having to explain these things to you!?
    No, you can't just walk in here and declare that liberal Democrats and only liberal Democrats have voted for the largest spending items. You have to have some evidence. Things aren't that simple.

    You told me to "prove" that liberal democrats were responsible for MOST of the debt, which is questioning the facts. It's quite a well known FACT that liberal Democrats advocate and vote for the majority of Federal entitlement spending, which accounts for the majority of our Federal budgets. That I have to explain this to you, and REPEAT myself, is evidence that you're just being purposely obtuse and intellectually dishonest.
    It may be well known, but that doesn't make it true.

    I am not being obtuse or dishonest. Things are never as simple as you wish them to be.

    Start with this fact - liberal Democrats were in the minority in the House for 12 years when the Republicans ran things, and in the Senate too a couple of times since 1980. Are you saying they are responsible for the spending that occurred during that time?

    The same old tired "liberal Democrats are responsible for spending" myth was exploded when the GOP took over. From 1995 to 2007, the fiscal years the GOP ran the House, on-budget spending grew from $1.2 trillion to $2.2 trillion a year. Entitlements amounted to between 288 billion to 450 billion during that time. So entitlements clearly didn't account for the majority of debt growth then. (This ignores the fact that Social Security had a surplus and technically did not grow the debt at all, but never mind that technicality).
    Last edited by misterman; 04-27-10 at 03:59 PM.

  5. #75
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    P.S.

    http://www.cato.org/pubs/briefs/bp87.pdf

    The Republican Spending Explosion
    by Veronique de Rugy

    Veronique de Rugy is a fiscal policy analyst at the Cato Institute.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Executive Summary

    When the Republicans gained control of Congress in 1994, they promised to eliminate the deficit and reduce wasteful spending. For several years, the GOP partly upheld its commitment by modestly curtailing spending growth and balancing the budget.

    Unfortunately, the balanced budgets of the late 1990s created an "easy money" mindset in Congress, which began a spending spree that continues unabated today. Total federal outlays will rise 29 percent between fiscal years 2001 and 2005 according to the president's fiscal year 2005 budget released in February. Real discretionary spending increases in fiscal years 2002, 2003, and 2004 are three of the five biggest annual increases in the last 40 years. Large spending increases have been the principal cause of the government's return to massive budget deficits.

    Although defense spending has increased in response to the war on terrorism, President Bush has made little attempt to restrain nondefense spending to offset the higher Pentagon budget. Nondefense discretionary outlays will increase about 36 percent during President Bush's first term in office. Congress has failed to contain the administration's overspending and has added new spending of its own. Republicans have clearly forfeited any claim of being the fiscally responsible party in Washington.

  6. #76
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    LOL!

    really?

    right now?
    Do you know what a 30 year Treasury bill is?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #77
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    What he did was not close to what Obama is doing
    Which is irrelevant. You are still attacking a Kenysian while holding the name of a Kenysian. You either don't know what Kenysian is or don't know that Reagan was one.

    and it's also not going to high-risk ventures that will create larger deficits in the long run.
    Perhaps, but it doesn't change that Reagan engaged in Kenysian spending.

    Reagan's investment created what is called "smart debt"
    How is massive military expansion debt "smart?"

    Nothing you said counters my point. You attack Kenysian yet have praise for a Kenysian.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Do you know what a 30 year Treasury bill is?
    do you know what 3 trillion dollars of deficit in the 2009 and 2010 budgets mean?

  9. #79
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    do you know what 3 trillion dollars of deficit in the 2009 and 2010 budgets mean?
    Yeah, it means Bush left us a tanked economy with drastically reduced revenue and record spending!

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Economists: The stimulus didn't help

    w-stands-for-what's-his-name is responsible for the 09 and 10 budgets---LOL!
    Last edited by The Prof; 04-28-10 at 11:37 AM.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •