Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 330

Thread: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

  1. #291
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Here is an interesting analaysis of Congress's use of NIEs, by the Congressional Research Service, a NON-PARTISAN branch of the Library of Congress. It discusses in detail what Congress gets and who in Congress gets it, and the details of the 2002 Iraq NIE events.

    http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/intel/RL33733.pdf

    A highlight:

    The intelligence process, however, is not an exact science and, on occasion, NIEs have proved unreliable because they were based on insufficient evidence or contained faulty analysis. This was demonstrated in the NIE produced in 2002 on Iraqi Weapons of Mass Destruction, parts of which were significantly inaccurate. NIEs can provide insights into the likely effects of certain policy approaches, but they are not usually made to take into account the details of planned U.S. diplomatic, economic, military, or legislative initiatives.

  2. #292
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,156

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    it will be an interesting read if for no other reason to see how it does and does not dovetail with mcclellan's account
    since stringing together the words will be the assignment of the ghost writer, i do wonder if they will at least let the shrub select the pictures; he can then include those where he colored within the lines
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Here is an interesting analaysis of Congress's use of NIEs, by the Congressional Research Service, a NON-PARTISAN branch of the Library of Congress. It discusses in detail what Congress gets and who in Congress gets it, and the details of the 2002 Iraq NIE events.

    http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/intel/RL33733.pdf

    A highlight:
    Thankyou.

    Two points.

    Congress did in fact have full access to the 2002 NIE before the vote.

    This NIE did turn out to be inaccurate which was covered by the Senate Intelligence Committees Report on PreWar Intelligence, however, it was the best intelligence which was available and definitively proves that Bush was not lying to lead us into war but genuinely thought that Saddam had WMDs.

  4. #294
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Denial seems to be in ample supply among the left these days.

    And you are right, HS Dropouts have been in the dem camp for decades.
    You don't have one? Good to know.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #295
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Congress did in fact have full access to the 2002 NIE before the vote.
    How do you know? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I want to know. And was that "full access" to a classified, unabridged version?

    EDIT - I found confirmation myself, including:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

    This NIE did turn out to be inaccurate which was covered by the Senate Intelligence Committees Report on PreWar Intelligence, however, it was the best intelligence which was available and definitively proves that Bush was not lying to lead us into war but genuinely thought that Saddam had WMDs.
    Well, the question is whether the NIE itself was inaccurate due to political pressure, but I'm not saying it was, or that Bush was involved directly if it was.
    Last edited by misterman; 04-29-10 at 10:29 AM.

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    pssst::: POTUS (do you know what that is?) declassifies classified info on NIE reports. Seeing thsat you didn't know that simple fact puts the rest of your arguements in perspective.
    Psst Congress had full access to the classified NIE.

    A "troofer"... wowwwww.
    Why else bring up the troofer lie that Ashcroft quit flying commercially before the 9-11 attacks?

    Congress has access to what the president allows them to have access to.
    Maybe in your world where we don't have three separate but equal branches of government but here in reality Congress had full access to the NIE.

    Your misunderstanding of the facts and the law are amazing.
    You mean like the fact that I provided by factcheck.org that Congress had full access to the 2002 NIE? Or maybe like the fact that I provided from the actual IIPA which states that in no uncertain terms once the U.S. makes a covert agents public it can no longer be a crime to mention it? In your reading of the law in question if after reading the Novak article one were to tell someone that Plame was a CIA operative they would be in violation of the law.

    Not to mention your stubborn refusal to even look at the facts of just about anything that debunks your empty right wing talking points.
    Dude you've been PWNED by the facts.

    Fact: Armitage not Rove, Libby, or Cheney leaked the identity of Plame.

    Fact: Once a covert agents name is leaked publicly it is no longer a crime to tell someone that person is a CIA agent.

    Fact: Congress had full access to the NIE before the vote for the war.

    Fact: Ashcroft never quit flying commercially.

    Fact: Fact Bush took Clinton's warnings seriously and went further than the recommendations.


    Maybe you can take a research class after high school to show you how to find and appreciate facts. You don't have to be afraid of them all your life.
    You mean my primary sources to the actual laws in question, primary sources like quotes from the people in question, or my reputable fully referenced secondary and tertiary sources cited by primary sources? Take your pick bub the facts are not on your side.

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    How do you know? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I want to know. And was that "full access" to a classified, unabridged version?
    Factcheck.org:

    What Was Congress Told?

    The intelligence to which Bush refers is contained in a top-secret document that was made available to all members of Congress in October 2002, days before the House and Senate voted to authorize Bush to use force in Iraq. This so-called National Intelligence Estimate was supposed to be the combined US intelligence community's "most authoritative written judgment concerning a specific national security issue," according to the Senate Intelligence Committee. The report was titled "Iraq's Continuing Programs for Weapons of Mass Destruction."

    FactCheck.org: Iraq: What Did Congress Know, And When?

    Well, the question is whether the NIE itself was inaccurate due to political pressure, but I'm not saying it was, or that Bush was involved directly if it was.
    The Senate Intelligence Committee found in their report on Pre-War Intelligence that no pressure was put on analysts:

    Here's the full report:

    Congressional Reports: Report of the Select Committee on Intelligence on the U.S. Intelligence Community’s Prewar Intelligence Assessments on Iraq

    And here's the section in question:

    http://www.gpoaccess.gov/serialset/c...8-301/sec9.pdf

  8. #298
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Factcheck.org:
    Thank you.

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Thank you.
    No problem, I'm going to go give a hardy **** you to the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 and go win some money at texas hold'em on fulltilt BBL.

  10. #300
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    No problem, I'm going to go give a hardy **** you to the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 and go win some money at texas hold'em on fulltilt BBL.
    Uh-oh, they're listening in on you. A FEMA truck is on its way to take you to a Death Panel.

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •