Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 330

Thread: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    I disagree.

    Elite Politicians are intellectuals whether we think their accent and ****ty public speaking ability lends credit to the fact.
    Uh, that wasn't an opinion. Most political books are written by ghostwriters. A minimum of searching will reveal the true authors.

  2. #222
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    After reading some of the comments on this thread:

    I am a little concerned by the lack of legitimate interest people have about the Bush II era. Turtling oneself into partisan rhetoric cannot eliminate the fact that Bush was a very, very important US President. Everyone should be hopeful that there is a morsel of sincerity and honesty in this book.
    I think there is a huge interest in what really went on during the Bush debacle. But, we won't learn anything from most of the bush gang. Many disillusioned Republican appointees have already written much on the Bush years.

    I'm holding out for a nice tell-all from Powell. Hey, one can dream...
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  3. #223
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    I actually think people from the left should want to read this book. For the most part they didn't agree with President Bush and this gives them a chance to understand why President Bush did some of the things he did. They will be missing an opportunity here I feel.

  4. #224
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    I actually think people from the left should want to read this book. For the most part they didn't agree with President Bush and this gives them a chance to understand why President Bush did some of the things he did. They will be missing an opportunity here I feel.
    Oh, I'll look at it. I'll probably scan through it in Borders. If it's the polished whitewash I expect, I won't read any more of it. If it actually has any depth, and there's a good sale on, I just might buy it. Maybe when they put it outside the store on a clearance sale.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  5. #225
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post

    Aside from the easy oxymoron of "Bush writing a book", when even Condi Rice warned his administration that, "He's not a big reader", does anybody believe Bush actually wrote a book when during his 8 years in office he probably didn't read one?

    I doubt he wrote it himself, but there's nothing unusual about the famous and renouned having someone write a memoir based on his/her recollections and personal thoughts. If he were a writer, I would expect him to write his own books.

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post


    Will Bush come down to earth and admit to making mistakes?
    Will he fill in any missing time from his National Guard service?
    Will he admit his "No child left behind" was a colossal failure as it actually caused more work for our nations teachers due to more testing and being hugely under funded?
    Will there be any confessions on his lies that caused us to invade an innocent country?
    Will he admit invading Iraq was his plan even before he took office?
    Will he confess to ignoring Clinton's heated warnings about Bin Laden when he first took office?
    Will he tell us why Ashcroft starting flying on private jets just before 9/11?
    Will he tell the truth about Cheeney's and Rove's and Libby's conspiracy to out a covert CIA agent and why he never fired anyone after he told the nation he would?
    Will he speak to Rove's involvement in firing those U.S. Attorneys who didn't do Rove's political hack work?
    Will he admit that Cheeney actually ran everything and worked him like a puppet?
    Will he tell us why he suddenly grew a backbone when he defied Cheeney's constant requests to pardon Libby?
    A memoir is not the same thing as a journal or True Confessions magazine. Decisions and actions of every president are based on what he believes to be the best course of action to take, as it should be. The presidency is not a popularity contest except during the election season.

    If former President Bush did in fact meet all your listed requirements, would it change your perception of him as a human and a man? Would it make you feel better? If so, why?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post

    He never cared about what the American people thought of him while he was our president. This will be no different.
    It wasn't his job to care about what the American people thought of him. It was his job to do what he believed was the right thing to do, regardless of how people felt about him. I didn't agree with much of what he did, but I do believe he performed the job with dignity and class.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #226
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,330
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post

    It wasn't his job to care about what the American people thought of him. It was his job to do what he believed was the right thing to do, regardless of how people felt about him. I didn't agree with much of what he did, but I do believe he performed the job with dignity and class.
    Kinda like with the health care bill, right?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #227
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Kinda like with the health care bill, right?
    Yes, kinda like the health care bill. Many of us don't like it, and many of us are pissed off about it, but we put them in office, so we have the responsibility to put up with what we got. When we end up with lousy leaders, we did it to ourselves out of stupidity, laziness, neglect, or whatever the mood flavor of the day is.

    Presidents and other politicians should not be elected to be saviors. If Americans have reached the point that we elect someone to fix our problems and take care of us, then we're already sunk, we just don't realize it yet.
    Last edited by lizzie; 04-26-10 at 11:53 PM.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    No the unit commanders said they had no recollection of him. The 6 month pay gap during that period is because he was in a civilian training program working on a campaign. He was not performing flight duty because he had failed to appear for a physical and had his flight status revoked so its no surprise that this guy doesn't remember someone who was only serving as a desk jockey.

    Really? None of them came forward? Hm.

    USATODAY.com - Former Guardsman: Bush served with me in Alabama







    You're invited to provide your evidence. Just saying it, doesn't make it so.
    The bi-partisan No Child Left Behind program which passed 384-45 in the House and 91-8 in the Senate?

    The House of Representatives passed the bill on May 23, 2001 (voting 384-45),[6] and United States Senate passed it on June 14, 2001 (voting 91-8).[7] President Bush signed it into law on January 8, 2002.

    No Child Left Behind Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There were no lies everyone thought that the NIE was accurate and that the reasons listed in the AUMF were genuine.


    All 16 members of the U.S. Intelligence Community wrote this report:

    Key Judgments: Iraq's Continuing Programs for Weapons of Mass Destruction



    Bush took Clinton's suggestions and implemented them and even went further.

    The first point, I think the overall point is, there was no
    plan on Al Qaeda that was passed from the Clinton
    administration to the Bush administration.

    Second point is that the Clinton administration had a
    strategy in place, effectively dating from 1998. And there
    were a number of issues on the table since 1998. And they
    remained on the table when that administration went out of
    office--issues like aiding the Northern Alliance in
    Afghanistan, changing our Pakistan policy, changing our
    policy towards Uzbekistan. And in January 2001, the incoming
    Bush administration was briefed on the existing strategy.

    They were also briefed on these series of issues that had not
    been decided on in a couple of years.

    And the third point is the Bush administration decided
    then, you know, mid-January, to do two things. One,
    vigorously pursue the existing policy, including all of the
    lethal covert action findings, which we've now made public to
    some extent.

    And the point is, while this big review was going on, there
    were still in effect, the lethal findings were still in
    effect. The second thing the administration decided to do is
    to initiate a process to look at those issues which had been
    on the table for a couple of years and get them decided.
    So, point five, that process which was initiated in the
    first week in February, decided in principle, in the spring
    to add to the existing Clinton strategy and to increase CIA
    resources, for example, for covert action, five-fold, to go
    after Al Qaeda.

    The sixth point, the newly-appointed deputies--and you had
    to remember, the deputies didn't get into office until late
    March, early April. The deputies then tasked the development
    of the implementation details of these new decisions that
    they were endorsing, and sending out to the principals.
    Over the course of the summer--last point--they developed
    implementation details, the principals met at the end of the
    summer, approved them in their first meeting, changed the
    strategy by authorizing the increase in funding five-fold,
    changing the policy on Pakistan, changing the policy on
    Uzbekistan, changing the policy on the Northern Alliance
    assistance.

    And then changed the strategy from one of rollback with Al
    Qaeda over the course [of] five years, which it had been, to
    a new strategy that called for the rapid elimination of Al
    Qaeda. This is in fact the time line.


    Sen. Frist on "Outrageous Charges by Richard Clarke"
    Ashcroft never stopped using commercial flights in fact his wife flew on September 7th 2001.

    Ashcroft Commercial Flights

    Richard Armitage not Rove, Cheney, or Libby leaked Plame's name.

    CNN.com - Sources: State Department official source of Plame leak - Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited by Agent Ferris; 04-27-10 at 12:26 AM.

  9. #229
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,330
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yes, kinda like the health care bill. Many of us don't like it, and many of us are pissed off about it, but we put them in office, so we have the responsibility to put up with what we got. When we end up with lousy leaders, we did it to ourselves out of stupidity, laziness, neglect, or whatever the mood flavor of the day is.

    Presidents and other politicians should not be elected to be saviors. If Americans have reached the point that we elect someone to fix our problems and take care of us, then we're already sunk, we just don't realize it yet.
    Consistency is a great thing. Good job. It does go the other way too. Arguing against Bush policy based on popularity is a weak argument.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #230
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    You almost have it right. The reason the left hates Bush is that the left is intolerant of ignorance.
    Two words: Joe Biden.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •