Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 330

Thread: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

  1. #111
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Quasi-Marxist statism and coercive populism as espoused by Democratic elites, leftist academics, media whores, and liberal ideologues who roam the internet and blogosphere.
    Besides the problem of presumptive history you are creating, I would say it would be incredibly difficult to suggest that he could not be along the lines of Lieberman if perhaps not more liberal (I do not side with the feelings of many liberals who are somehow absolutely convinced Kennedy would have gotten the United States out of Vietnam). There are plenty of Democrats of the Truman/Kennedy variety who have stayed in the Democratic party, not necessarily because the Republicans have little to offer them in terms of political culture, but also because various positions of their would be seen as far too liberal for the Republican party. Does this mean that this prevents them from endorsing a Republican party over a Democratic Party? No, and that would be obvious if you knew my academic obsession, but it does make one pause with making such statements so confidently.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 04-26-10 at 02:51 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #112
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Quasi-Marxist statism and coercive populism as espoused by Democratic elites, leftist academics, media whores, and liberal ideologues who roam the internet and blogosphere.
    Oh, well no wonder nobody identifies with it. There aren't many of those.

    So what's the point of attacking it in the first place? Who cares about those people?

  3. #113
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Okay?



    You're atypical, which is my point. I know quite a lot of Democrats and none of them self-identify as a "liberal", and the ones who do are more conservative than George Bush, thus the label no longer applies to them, as it has been hijacked by quasi-marxists and uber-leftist drones.



    JFK wouldn't have recognized the Democratic party or contemporary liberalism. If you disagree, then you should be laughing at yourself.
    Actually, I am not atypical. It's just that ideologues have a hard time with accepting anything that is not how they view the world already.

    Reagan would not have recognized the Republican party today, nor conservatism. Your point is? I do find it amusing you did not notice the hilarious sentence I bolded.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #114
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    "Liberal" has become the biggest straw man in history.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Besides the problem of presumptive history you are creating, I would say it would be incredibly difficult to suggest that he could not be along the lines of Lieberman.
    Yes, Lieberman. The man who is a pariah in liberal circles and an independent. Gee, how strange that a Kennedy-style Democrat would be forced out of the party and derided by "liberals"...

    There are plenty of Democrats of the Truman/Kennedy variety who have stayed in the Democratic party...
    Like who? And if this is true, they certainly wield little to no influence over the party.

    ...not necessarily because the Republicans have little to offer them in terms of political culture, but also because various positions of their would be seen as far too liberal for the Republican party. Does this mean that this prevents them from endorsing a Republican party over a Democratic Party? No, and that would be obvious if you knew my academic obsession, but it does make one pause with making such statements so confidently.
    There are more options than Democrat or Republican.

  6. #116
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    "Liberal" has become the biggest straw man in history.



    Seriously, like you are any better? Please, you fool no one.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Oh, well no wonder nobody identifies with it. There aren't many of those.

    So what's the point of attacking it in the first place? Who cares about those people?
    Silly person. Our President is of this persuasion, as is the speaker and Senate majority leader. Your inability to recognize this simple fact is not my problem.

  8. #118
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Silly person. Our President is of this persuasion, as is the speaker and Senate majority leader.
    No they aren't.

    Your inability to recognize this simple fact is not my problem.
    If you're too lazy to debate, just say so.

  9. #119
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Yes, Lieberman. The man who is a pariah in liberal circles and an independent. Gee, how strange that a Kennedy-style Democrat would be forced out of the party and derided by "liberals"...



    Like who? And if this is true, they certainly wield little to no influence over the party.



    There are more options than Democrat or Republican.
    I agree about Lieberman. But we can also consider the "Blue Dog Democrats", which is hardly a great descriptor of leaders with various positions. The perception is one of being the moderate. In reality, moderates hold a great deal of power when, especially when your own party is in power.

    A lot of the individuals I study, like the late Senators Henry Jackson and Daniel P. Moynihan stayed with the Democratic party, but from time to time endorsed Republican candidates and platforms, despite having significant difference of opinion with the establishment Republican manifesto, if it were to be described in such a way.

    There is a somewhat justified feeling that that era of liberals have been pushed aside in favor of those more sympathetic to the New Left, but the reality is more difficult than that. Take notice with how Robert Kennedy transformed himself from a McCarthy fan and into a champion of the New Left against the war in Vietnam.

    Do we know what path John Kennedy would have chosen? No. Do we know what path he likely would have chosen in the short-run? More-so.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 04-26-10 at 03:03 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Memoir by George W Bush to be published in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually, I am not atypical.
    Actually, you are.

    Thus far in 2009, 40% of Americans interviewed in national Gallup Poll surveys describe their political views as conservative, 35% as moderate, and 21% as liberal. This represents a slight increase for conservatism in the U.S. since 2008, returning it to a level last seen in 2004. The 21% calling themselves liberal is in line with findings throughout this decade, but is up from the 1990s.



    ?Conservatives? Are Single-Largest Ideological Group
    Most registered Democrats are "moderates" or simply abstain from assuming an ideological label. Most Americans don't even understand "liberal" ideology; they just vote Democrat because their union rep tells them to, or because their parents were Democrats, or because the media has fed them a bunch of nonsense about hope and change.

    It's just that ideologues have a hard time with accepting anything that is not how they view the world already.

    Reagan would not have recognized the Republican party today, nor conservatism. Your point is? I do find it amusing you did not notice the hilarious sentence I bolded.
    Liberal ideologues, especially...

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •