Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

  1. #21
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I haven't read the ruling and it is hard to see what the value of a "crush film" is but the law could have (perhaps) banned something like those outdoor shows where Terrible Ted Nugent arrows some stag with his trusty compound bow or Excalibur Crossbow President Bill Troubridge nails a trophy Moose in the Canadian wilderness. After all the PETA extremists think that showing a hunting film is no different than watching Maggie DeSade waste a hamster with her Jimmy Choos
    ha ha ha ha ha !!! "Maggie DeSade " indeed!! What I understand is that the law was too broad and in he opinion of the singing group The Supremes it could indeed render virtually all of the shows on DISC, Animal Planet, National Geo and such banned !!!!

    You mentioned the PETA Burgers you know that collection of hyperactive bufoons do want to ban all hunting shows...
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  2. #22
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The main problem with the law is that it was so broad that, theoretically, animal rights activists protesting slaughter houses by taking pictures could be prosecuted under it. SCOTUS did not rule, based on any First Amendment argument. They ruled on the broadness of the law, and struck it down for that reason.
    now this could have been a good piece of fall out "animal rights activists protesting slaughter houses by taking pictures could be prosecuted under it"

    Yeh prosecute the PETA Burgers for filming a slaughterhouse !!! I does like that one !!
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  3. #23
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Actually, it's the legistlor's job to write law.
    It's a police matter to enforce it, and a judges job to apply it. It's your AGs job to decide what law enforcement should enforce also. Just because a law is on the books doesn't mean it's applied in every possible case or that there should be a punishment for every instance. However the option is there should it be needed.
    If life gives you Melons you probably have dyslexia.

  4. #24
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Considering that we have 15-year-old couples who have sex and then upon breaking up the mother of the daughter goes to the police and press charges against the ex-boyfriend based on sex offender laws that are written to target child molesters, no, I don't trust judges to judge these on a case by case basis, nor for prosecutors to use their prosecutorial discretion in deciding which cases need to be prosecuted and which need to be dropped just because they want a higher number in their "Win" column for when they run for some other office.

    They should write a narrower law.
    That's why the appeals process exists isn't it?
    There are issues with writing laws that are too narrow, if you don't include every instance, you leave gaping loopholes.
    If life gives you Melons you probably have dyslexia.

  5. #25
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    It's a police matter to enforce it, and a judges job to apply it. It's your AGs job to decide what law enforcement should enforce also. Just because a law is on the books doesn't mean it's applied in every possible case or that there should be a punishment for every instance. However the option is there should it be needed.
    I see your point. But you want the law to be applied consistently. If the law is too broad, the US Attorneys can apply it inconsistently. That is something to avoid.

  6. #26
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    So whats the difference between this and normal animal cruelty? DOn't get me wrong, I'm not against hunting fishing etc, but I do have strong feelings against cruelty for cruelty sake...
    I thought we were talking about the videos. I don't like animal cruelty either, but the videos are free speech.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #27
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I thought we were talking about the videos. I don't like animal cruelty either, but the videos are free speech.
    It's what is happening in the videos that cross the line from free isn't it?
    If life gives you Melons you probably have dyslexia.

  8. #28
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I see your point. But you want the law to be applied consistently. If the law is too broad, the US Attorneys can apply it inconsistently. That is something to avoid.
    But the check againist that is supposed to be the judiciary all the way up to the SCOTUS.
    If life gives you Melons you probably have dyslexia.

  9. #29
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    But the check againist that is supposed to be the judiciary all the way up to the SCOTUS.
    That's what happened here. The SC said it's too broad and had been applied inconsistently.

  10. #30
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Justices reject ban on animal cruelty videos

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    But the check againist that is supposed to be the judiciary all the way up to the SCOTUS.
    Under that theory, why have a legislative branch at all? Just let judges decide what folks should or should not do.

    .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •