Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 300

Thread: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

  1. #231
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    You know, this is the kind of hyperpartisan behavior that prevents points like mine from being heard. I am not placing all the blame on the corporations. As I said, I'm in favor of a multi-pronged approach.

    Some regulations are good. It's not black and white. Just because the government is regulating a certain business behavior does not mean that there is some liberal whacko lobby out to get the big evil corporate powers.

    I'm a health professional and I see the benefits of this legislation.
    I'm pretty sure that was a joke. We were talking about cows, after all.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  2. #232
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Obviously we need to regulate cows now too.
    Nah !! We just breed sodium free cows !!! lol

    I am serious about labling because my wife has/had a cronic kidney condition ( which eventually led to kidney failure and a transplant ) which requires a low sodium diet therefore labels were and are vital. Back in the seventies before labeling or good labeling was available we had to shop in the "health food stores" for no salt ( most common source of sodium) items. The people who ran those stores were whacked out hippies. But they were Einsteins they smoked orgaic pot!!

    We did not need the government to make our choices for us and once labeling was the regulation it made things easier. People need to use exactly what we used - common sense to avoid excess sodium. You know if some stupidton is not supposed to consume sodium but proceeds to eat salted chips, and nuts, and cold cuts ( which are big with sodium and nitrate presevatives) then that bozo deserves to die. MAybe some people are just too stupid to live and should not be iN the gene pool any longer.

    A little harsh but if someone is that stupid or ignorant then even a 24/7 dose of government will not save them.
    Last edited by F107HyperSabr; 04-21-10 at 08:30 PM.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    For who? Are you claiming that everyone has the same caloric requirements as you? You're on a diet, after all.
    No, I am not on a diet. I haven't been on a diet since mid march. I just make healthy choices about what I eat when I am on the go and I am on the go for much of my day.

    It has everything to do with this thread. You are not in the socioeconomic bracket that I'm even talking about, so of course you can talk like it's so easy to make healthy changes.
    I was a dirt poor college student and I still made healthy choices about what to eat.

    And if you're a single parent, how do you make that happen? You're a conservative and I know you tend to be against entitlement programs. So tell me, how does a single parent with a low income job further their education and also spend money on higher quality food + spend more time on preparation of said food?
    Prioritizing. And understanding that being a little tired and/or missing Letterman while you make food in advance isn't going to kill you. But gubment cheese will kill you.

    I don't think you understand the full array of reasons of why people choose to eat unhealthy, fast food in today's world.
    No, I don't understand why people choose to eat unhealthy. But I am glad to see you recognize that it's a choice all the same.

    There is a positive correlation between poverty and fast food consumption. Does that matter to you?
    No. Not one iota. I don't care what the reason is. I don't actually care that they do it at all until I hear about an expansion of government power to keep them from making their own choices.

    Straw man. I wasn't attacking you for looking after yourself. I was pointing out that you have fewer opportunity costs which is WHY you can spend 10 hours a week at the gym. You are not counted as being in the lower class.
    I spent many years of my adult life well below the poverty line. I still managed to keep myself healthy.

    I don't think we can make any headway in this discussion until you are willing to expand your scope and understanding for why people consume this kind of food. You're too busy seeing it as an issue of stupidity and placing blame on the individual when it's a holistic problem. Marketing shapes those choices.

    There are stupid people in every country, so why does yours have such a high obesity rate?
    Stupidity in Africa manifests itself in grabbing lions by the tail. Stupidity manifests itself in America by sucking down a supersized quarter pounder meal every day. In the end, it's still stupidity that takes the stupid out of the gene pool.


    You said your problem is the government butting its nose in where it does not belong, but you have failed to demonstrate that's what's happening here. Is part of the government's job not to reasonably ensure public health/
    Reasonably, yes. Limiting how food is prepared, no.

    Most processed foods have too much salt in them.
    So. Don't. Eat. So. Much. Processed. Food. How many ways can I spell that out?

    Oh I see. So you're in favor of allowing the obesity, heart disease, and diabetes epidemic to continue to your country's detriment?
    It's never to a country's detriment to have weakness and stupidity removed from the breeding pool.

    I care about my country having a healthy population.
    Me, too.

    I guess that is the difference between you and I. That pretty much ends the debate then.
    Oh yes, now comes the "OMG, you're such big meanie. Won't someone think of the CHILDREN!!!!?!!!?!???!?" schtick.

    Save your breath. I am not moved by emotional displays.

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    milk comes from a cow not nuts!
    I'm not even going to touch that one.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Oh I love almonds the nuts. I get the naked ones from Whole Foods. But almond milk, NU UH... milk comes from a cow not nuts!
    Do me a favor and eat lots of them. At least a handful a day. And some blueberries in your steel oats every day.

  6. #236
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Oh I love almonds the nuts. I get the naked ones from Whole Foods. But almond milk, NU UH... milk comes from a cow not nuts!
    See your point ! I laugh when I see "Soy Milk " or Silk Soy Milk. Come on now that is not milk, it's soy juice. Or bean juice for God's sake. This is were labeling is important for the ignorant so the label will tell the numbnuts that there are buying bean juice not milk.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  7. #237
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    See your point ! I laugh when I see "Soy Milk " or Silk Soy Milk. Come on now that is not milk, it's soy juice. Or bean juice for God's sake. This is were labeling is important for the ignorant so the label will tell the numbnuts that there are buying bean juice not milk.
    LMFAO The people who buy that (and I buy coconut milk myself), buy it for a reason. Because it's NOT cow's milk. That IS the reason they buy it. Some people are vegans, some have lactose intolerance, some just like the alternative milks better.

  8. #238
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    LMFAO The people who buy that (and I buy coconut milk myself), buy it for a reason. Because it's NOT cow's milk. That IS the reason they buy it. Some people are vegans, some have lactose intolerance, some just like the alternative milks better.
    I love almond milk. If I have a choice between it and regular milk, I will choose the almond milk.

    If I do drink regular milk, it's got to be whole milk from glass bottle, ice cold and the cream scooped off the top before I pour it. And I usually use the cream in place of butter on a slice of toast.

  9. #239
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I love almond milk. If I have a choice between it and regular milk, I will choose the almond milk.

    If I do drink regular milk, it's got to be whole milk from glass bottle, ice cold and the cream scooped off the top before I pour it. And I usually use the cream in place of butter on a slice of toast.
    I've not tried almond milk but I imagine it's super high in protein. Since I'm trying to increase my protein intake, I might give it a try.

    The coconut milk was surprisingly good. And I don't mean the thick canned stuff. I'm talking the cow milk alternative stuff. lol

    As for cow's milk, I went to whole awhile back. Then to organic. And now to non-homogenized. And yes, glass bottles. I'm going to try and find a local dairy to buy from.

  10. #240
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    LMFAO The people who buy that (and I buy coconut milk myself), buy it for a reason. Because it's NOT cow's milk. That IS the reason they buy it. Some people are vegans, some have lactose intolerance, some just like the alternative milks better.
    I have had a minor case of lactose intollerance but I just avoid that stuff. Yet as much as I miss good ice cream unless I take Lactate I refuse to eat that soy bean bloppo make believe frozen curd ball stuff.

    BTW do coconuts have udders!!! sorry !! no more, back to seriousocity !!
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •