Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 300

Thread: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

  1. #141
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    What is a safe average daily intake of sodium for an adult? (without googling it)
    1500 - 2000, what winston said.

    Though I'm not sure how it's relevant? I'm also not sure how it's relevant if I google it or not. The fact that I CAN google it completely validates what we've been saying regarding the FACT that the information is out there and readily available to anyone, at any time, for any reason.

  2. #142
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yes. They have the necessary information and make their own choices accordingly.
    Those truly "informed" would not eat the garbage in the first place.

    Yes, people make decisions all the time that are bad for their health. And?
    A very small segment of the population make diet decisions on the basis of health. I know this because the country (over 190 million Americans) is primarily over weight or obese.

    I wonder how many are on government sponsored health care?
    Last edited by Kushinator; 04-21-10 at 04:54 PM.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #143
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Those truly "informed" would not eat the garbage in the first place.
    Yes, we would. People do things all the time with full knowledge of the implications.


    A very small segment of the population make diet decisions on the basis of health. I know this because the country (over 190 million Americans) are over weight or obese.
    Indeed. And that is THEIR choice.

    I wonder how many are on government sponsored health care?
    I would prefer if no one was, but c'est la vie.

  4. #144
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yes, we would. People do things all the time with full knowledge of the implications.
    You are saying people (in general) do not care if they are obese or have heart disease? People are not nearly as informed as you claim; otherwise they would make decisions that more accuratly model the risk reward aspect (unless we are talking about addiction).

    Indeed. And that is THEIR choice.
    And yet their choices are impacting others.

    I would prefer if no one was, but c'est la vie.
    Having a preference does not negate the reality. If you earn an income, you either pay your taxes or risk a fine/imprisonment.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #145
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    1500 - 2000, what winston said.

    Though I'm not sure how it's relevant? I'm also not sure how it's relevant if I google it or not. The fact that I CAN google it completely validates what we've been saying regarding the FACT that the information is out there and readily available to anyone, at any time, for any reason.
    Those numbers are really hard to hit even shopping at healthy stores like Whole Foods. I'm looking at my Amy's brand low sodium organic pasta sauce that I paid a premium for and it has 100mgs of salt. That is really not that bad but if you add some cheese and some bread those numbers add up quickly.

  6. #146
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    You are saying people (in general) do not care if they are obese or have heart disease? People are not nearly as informed as you claim; otherwise they would make decisions that more accuratly model the risk reward aspect (unless we are talking about addiction).
    No, in general, they don't care about the risk because the immediate reward is more appealing to them. The long term risk is something they cannot see or feel. The immediate reward they CAN.

    Hence why people take up smoking knowing full well the risk. Hence why people will "cheat" on their 'diets'. I know goddamn good and well that a big mac isn't healthy for me. Yet, I want one on occasion and I will have one on occasion. In my younger days, I had them more than on occasion. And pizza. And drugs. And tons of alcohol. And all sorts of other fast foods or unhealthy foods.

    And yet their choices are impacting others.
    Who is impacted by my choice to have a big mac or not?


    Having a preference does not negate the reality. If you earn an income, you either pay your taxes or risk a fine/imprisonment.
    I have no clue what you're getting at.

  7. #147
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Those numbers are really hard to hit even shopping at healthy stores like Whole Foods. I'm looking at my Amy's brand low sodium organic pasta sauce that I paid a premium for and it has 100mgs of salt. That is really not that bad but if you add some cheese and some bread those numbers add up quickly.
    Yet another reason not to eat processed foods.

    I have no doubts whatsoever that severely restricted diets are difficult to maintain. But what's that got to do with the government mandating the nutritional content of private companies' products? The fact that you CAN easily find out how much sodium is in everything you pick up, and you have the freedom to choose, completely negates any necessity for the government to step in any further.

  8. #148
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yet another reason not to eat processed foods.

    I have no doubts whatsoever that severely restricted diets are difficult to maintain. But what's that got to do with the government mandating the nutritional content of private companies' products? The fact that you CAN easily find out how much sodium is in everything you pick up, and you have the freedom to choose, completely negates any necessity for the government to step in any further.
    Wait, in one space you say diffulcult in another you say easily? What gives? And it is not that easy to get around processed foods unless one dedicates their entire life every waking minute to that.

  9. #149
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Wait, in one space you say diffulcult in another you say easily? What gives?
    Talking about two different things. Did you read the actual sentences?

    And it is not that easy to get around processed foods unless one dedicates their entire life every waking minute to that.
    I don't dedicate my every waking minute to that. Far from it.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I looked up the sodium content since the thread is about sodium. Calm down.
    Exactly. That was the whole point of me handing you a site that gives you information like that. So that you could look up that information for yourself.

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •