Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 300

Thread: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I think the regulation is a good idea. Heart disease and stroke are the number one killers and hypertension is a comorbid factor. The average amount of salt that you would sprinkle onto your own food from the salt shaker pales in comparison to the concentrated levels that companies are putting into the food to up the taste profile.

    Companies have the right to make profit but they shouldn't have the right to poison the public, and that's what high levels of sodium are: poison. Just because salt is an every day part of our society it's easy to overlook the fact that it's damaging to the body.

    If you want to poison yourself, then add more salt to your food. No one is stopping you. I have always supported regulations for products that have high levels of transfat, sugar, and salt. These three substances are the main killers in today's world. If you love them so much, then add them to your own food. Food shouldn't come pre-loaded with them, and in the case of sugar, the only reason why it's in so many products and in such high levels is because the sugar industry saddled itself with government a long time ago. Now we have a type II diabetes epidemic.
    Sorry, man, but that's complete bull****. The food isn't what's killing people. It's the fact that most people won't take responsibility for what they put in their bodies. Having a can of condensed soup once in a while does not hurt you in the least. Having a slice of processed cheese every now and then does not hurt you in the least. Having a snack bag of doritos every now and then isn't going to cause a heart attack. A soda a week isn't going to give you hypertension or diabetes.

    What does cause heart attacks and diabetes is when the idiot notices his pants getting snug and keeps on making a meal out of doritos and soda. That's the problem. And that's not something the government should be getting involved with; that's a Darwin issue.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Well the only way you are going to get away from that is to live in the wilderness somewhere away from human contact. Your decision to live in a society does not give you a right to limit the liberties of others because you think that the natural responsibilities one has to society are just too damned much for you to bear.



    Then go somewhere that you don't have to pay for medicare. However, the small amount you contribute to the public fund for medicare does not give you a right to regulate the personal decisions of society at large.



    No, but you are restricting business practices based on the idea that the consumer should not have the choice in what to consume. If you can't handle the natural responsibilities to society that you incur by living in one, find somewhere away from people.
    Despite your attempts to bully me, your argument is invalid.

    Capping the sodium content of prepackaged/processed foods is not an infringement on anyone's personal liberty because you can add all the salt you want.

    Seat Belt laws are an example of an infringement on personal liberty.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Despite your attempts to bully me, your argument is invalid.
    There was no attempt to bully you and my argument was totally valid as evidenced by the fact that you made zero attempt to rebutt the argument.

    Capping the sodium content of prepackaged/processed foods is not an infringement on anyone's personal liberty because you can add all the salt you want.
    It absolutely limits the rights of the business owner to implement his business model. The encroachment by the government in this begins before the food ever hits the table.

    Seat Belt laws are an example of an infringement on personal liberty.
    Hardly. If you are going to be on a public road, following public safety laws is not an infringement of your liberty. Nice try though.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Look here. I want my salt, I want my death by chocolate deserts, I want my chicken fried steaks, and I want my gravy fries. What I choose to put in my own body is none of the government's damn business.
    You're rant is nothing more. You are not restricted from adding salt to your food or your shoes if that's what floats yer boat.

    I agree with you in your Anarchist ideal that no one should have authority over another, not a government nor any organized body. However, we live in society and that society has an obligation to protect itself so we create government. So now we have a Representative Democracy and we tell the government to protect us. So the government says that business cannot poison society. Adding too much salt to the foods we buy is harming society. If you don't agree, then you can tell your Representative not to pass that law.

  5. #95
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    It seems to be a common theme in this thread that these proposed regulations will really not do much to impact people's salt consumption, since you can still ad as much salt as you want, and consume as much prepackaged food as you want.

    So what's the benefit of this regulation, then? Is it worth the cost of creating and enforcing the regulation, not to mention the added cost to businesses to adjust their products and packaging?

    Honestly, all I see is additional federal intrusion into the marketplace, with no perceptible benefit to Americans.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    You're rant is nothing more.
    Well gee, nothing gets by you, does it? I think he was well aware of what he was doing.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It seems to be a common theme in this thread that these proposed regulations will really not do much to impact people's salt consumption, since you can still ad as much salt as you want, and consume as much prepackaged food as you want.

    So what's the benefit of this regulation, then? Is it worth the cost of creating and enforcing the regulation, not to mention the added cost to businesses to adjust their products and packaging?

    Honestly, all I see is additional federal intrusion into the marketplace, with no perceptible benefit to Americans.
    Don't you know? It gives liberal hysterics a chance to codefy their hysterical cause du jour into a law for the rest of us to deal with. Because you know...you can't possibly know what's good for you without some liberal nutjob standing over you telling you what's good for you.

    The only benefit is to make a whiney segment of the population feel good about their dramatics.

  8. #98
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It seems to be a common theme in this thread that these proposed regulations will really not do much to impact people's salt consumption, since you can still ad as much salt as you want, and consume as much prepackaged food as you want.

    So what's the benefit of this regulation, then? Is it worth the cost of creating and enforcing the regulation, not to mention the added cost to businesses to adjust their products and packaging?

    Honestly, all I see is additional federal intrusion into the marketplace, with no perceptible benefit to Americans.
    Because then people who want to eat toxic processed food won't have sodium added by default to the list of other horrible things already present.

    I don't see how there's much added cost. Processed food is already tested for the sodium content.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  9. #99
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Because then people who want to eat toxic processed food won't have sodium added by default to the list of other horrible things already present.

    I don't see how there's much added cost. Processed food is already tested for the sodium content.
    There will be cost of reformulation and testing of the recipes, cost of new packaging, cost of disposal of old product if it can no longer be sold, cost of writing and publishing the new rules, and cost of enforcement by the nanny state just off the top of my head. So yes, there will be additional cost involved, and guess who gets to pay for this nonsense that will provide zero benefit?
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  10. #100
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Don't you know? It gives liberal hysterics a chance to codefy their hysterical cause du jour into a law for the rest of us to deal with. Because you know...you can't possibly know what's good for you without some liberal nutjob standing over you telling you what's good for you.

    The only benefit is to make a whiney segment of the population feel good about their dramatics.
    Yeah, that's pretty much the same conclusion I came to as well.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •