Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 129

Thread: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

  1. #111
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    FOXNews.com - Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015



    So while Russia is signing non-proliferation and disarmament agreements with the U.S., are they also working closely with Iran to make them a capable threat to the U.S. at the same time?

    If we don't do something soon, this won't end well.
    I think you are putting two separate issues together. Limiting strategic nuclear warheads will not effect anything if Iran has a missile capable of reaching the United States.

    If you believe that MAD works, then an Iranian weapon does not matter. (You also have to add in time to allow for Iran to be able to put a warhead on that potential missile)

    Additionally, if you do not believe in MAD, the current missile defense structure in place (GMD sites in CA and AK) will offer at least a limited protection of the US mainland.

    The problem will be if they would use such a missile against Europe or other sites, but the time it would take them to build multiple missiles, and multiple warheads, plus develop the ability to place a nuclear warhead on a missile, will most likely take a few years, and by 2018, (at least in theory) the next stage of missile defense deployment will have occurred, and will offer a much better shield of Europe.

    Certainly an Iran with long range missiles and nuclear weapons is not a positive scenario, but I think this story by itself does not add anything to the actual threat we might face from them.

  2. #112
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    FOXNews.com - Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015



    So while Russia is signing non-proliferation and disarmament agreements with the U.S., are they also working closely with Iran to make them a capable threat to the U.S. at the same time?

    If we don't do something soon, this won't end well.
    Russia isn't the only country in on this. France, Germany and maybe even the US have their fingers in the pie. Nicholas Cage in War Lord showed how US companies could do it.

    ricksfolly

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    notice how the effort to curb north korea's nuclear capability has ended now that it has become a member of the nuclear 'family'
    that can't be lost on iran. expect them to accelerate the deveopment of their own nukes before the US can fabricate a pre-emptive ruse to justify doing israel's bidding and bombing iran's facilities
    seems America has become the world's bully
    pity

    More liberal rhetoric.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    I think you are putting two separate issues together. Limiting strategic nuclear warheads will not effect anything if Iran has a missile capable of reaching the United States.

    If you believe that MAD works, then an Iranian weapon does not matter. (You also have to add in time to allow for Iran to be able to put a warhead on that potential missile)

    Additionally, if you do not believe in MAD, the current missile defense structure in place (GMD sites in CA and AK) will offer at least a limited protection of the US mainland.

    The problem will be if they would use such a missile against Europe or other sites, but the time it would take them to build multiple missiles, and multiple warheads, plus develop the ability to place a nuclear warhead on a missile, will most likely take a few years, and by 2018, (at least in theory) the next stage of missile defense deployment will have occurred, and will offer a much better shield of Europe.

    Certainly an Iran with long range missiles and nuclear weapons is not a positive scenario, but I think this story by itself does not add anything to the actual threat we might face from them.
    The theory behind MAD only works on SANE people. Iran's governing terrorists are NOT sane; therefore, that theory does not apply.
    Last edited by Vader; 05-06-10 at 01:28 AM.

  5. #115
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The thread of MAD only works on SANE people. Iran's governing terrorists are NOT sane; therefore, that theory does not apply.
    Well, I find MAD to be a mostly worthless theory... even when applying it to rational actors.

    Putting that aside however, the current missile defense structure would offer a defense against a limited Iranian ICBM threat towards the US, and once the SM-3 Block IIA can be deployed in Europe, and backed with Aegis ships (armed with the same), it will offer a better protection of Europe (outside of MEADS and general Theatre defenses).

    Unless we balk at missile defense deployment, this should be deployed before Iran can develop a large enough arsenal of ICBM's and possess the capability of putting a warhead (possibly nuclear) on such a weapon, and actually threaten the US.

  6. #116
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

    foggy bottom (us state dept) says iran is #1 sponsor of international terrorism

    BBC NEWS | Americas | Iran 'leading terrorism sponsor'

    equally worrisome, the leaders of the world's foremost shiite power are also nuts

    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iranian leader denies Holocaust

    terrifying is defense secty gates' candid concession that when it comes to the world's top terrorist enabler and provider, within just a few years, the administrations says, of possessing nuclear ability, the president has NO viable policy

    No effective policy on Iran, Gates says

    gates is simply enunciating what all aware observers have witnessed---when obtuse obama's reachout, his proposed meeting with the leaders of iran without preconditions, became promiscuously preposterous by last spring, the white house had no BACKUP PLAN

    unbelievable incompetence
    Last edited by The Prof; 05-06-10 at 02:22 AM.

  7. #117
    Student Rachel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Facebook
    Last Seen
    03-15-12 @ 08:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    160

    Re: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    Well, I find MAD to be a mostly worthless theory... even when applying it to rational actors.

    Putting that aside however, the current missile defense structure would offer a defense against a limited Iranian ICBM threat towards the US, and once the SM-3 Block IIA can be deployed in Europe, and backed with Aegis ships (armed with the same), it will offer a better protection of Europe (outside of MEADS and general Theatre defenses).

    Unless we balk at missile defense deployment, this should be deployed before Iran can develop a large enough arsenal of ICBM's and possess the capability of putting a warhead (possibly nuclear) on such a weapon, and actually threaten the US.
    From what you describe I guess it's a good thing that the US government invested so much in missile defense over the years. That way in 2015 if president Obama finds himself in a confrontation with Iran or North Korea, at least he will have some way of protecting the American people from a missile attack.

    No matter what someone's political leaning might be, at least most people would agree that having a defensive system that doesn't hurt anyone, and might actually save American lives, or prevent some rogue state from blackmailing the US and its allies is not such a bad thing after all. I'm glad president Obama has something like this at his disposal, in case a country like Iran or N. Korea managed to develop missiles that could actually reach the US.
    Last edited by Rachel; 05-06-10 at 07:53 AM.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    so, did he lie in the book or after the book was published:
    New Coward Confirms it: Republicans Politicized Terrorism! - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine
    I believe that's already been answered adequately.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  9. #119
    Educator Alvin T. Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Last Seen
    10-08-10 @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    839

    Re: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post



    Not sure how this makes whatever point you were trying to make...
    You would expect an admission?
    If life gives you Melons you probably have dyslexia.

  10. #120
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin T. Grey View Post
    You would expect an admission?
    The -obvious- point here:
    Given the statements that contradict him, how do you know tha Ridge isn't lying?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •