Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 293

Thread: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

  1. #271
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,756

    Re: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I'm 50/50 on that. The media in this country is horribly biased right now on every side of the aisle and it does us a disservice, then we have politicians who will say anything to get elected based on polls(which should be completely illegal BTW) and we never know where they stand. Then we have an electorate that just doesn't care. However I think the backend of the current theories are kicking in and the predicted results are starting to show in reality, when people start to see that things they enjoy are under attack, and that their paychecks are shrinking due to taxes while simultaneously not going as far, and then they see the rest of how they are being sold out it is starting to get people engaged. It's slow right now, but I see hope in the way the pace is increasing.
    Perhaps. I'm not thrilled with the direction, though. Most of what I see is "this sucks", and "I don't like this" rather than, "let's try this" or "here's an idea".
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #272
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Perhaps. I'm not thrilled with the direction, though. Most of what I see is "this sucks", and "I don't like this" rather than, "let's try this" or "here's an idea".
    I am going to coin a term here. GPS, or General Populace Syndrome; Here is my take on this, most people are interested in maintaining a personal/familial/inner circle quality of life and therefore are not interested in the bigger picture. These folks are great people, but politics and critical thinking over an extended range of subjects are not skills they developed due to either less of a desire to learn or an ability to use secondary thoughts in life's pursuits rather they choose learning to facilitate a desired lifestyle and so now the ultimate payload cache of this lack of critical thinking development is showing because things have gotten bad quickly, so, we have people who know a situation sucks and they need for more advanced thinkers to offer solutions because the intellectuals of note have failed, leaving a dissatisfied populace without immediate and direct discourse.

    As well, higher education isn't what it used to be. If colleges and universities would facilitate the kind of on the move critical thinking required of bad situations we would have a public of millions of free thinking, unfettered problem solvers.

    We have a lot of work to do.
    Last edited by LaMidRighter; 04-24-10 at 08:51 PM. Reason: clarifying a position.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #273
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,756

    Re: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I am going to coin a term here. GPS, or General Populace Syndrome; Here is my take on this, most people are interested in maintaining a personal/familial/inner circle quality of life and therefore are not interested in the bigger picture. These folks are great people, but politics and critical thinking over an extended range of subjects are not skills they developed due to either less of a desire to learn or an ability to use secondary thoughts in life's pursuits rather they choose learning to facilitate a desired lifestyle and so now the ultimate payload cache of this lack of critical thinking development is showing because things have gotten bad quickly, so, we have people who know a situation sucks and they need for more advanced thinkers to offer solutions because the intellectuals of note have failed, leaving a dissatisfied populace without immediate and direct discourse.

    As well, higher education isn't what it used to be. If colleges and universities would facilitate the kind of on the move critical thinking required of bad situations we would have a public of millions of free thinking, unfettered problem solvers.

    We have a lot of work to do.
    I like your term. The concept is one I have professed for a long time. Ultimately, most folks couldn't care less about what happens unless it affects them and the inner circle in which they live. Unfortunately, what most folks don't realize is that we are all connected in some way, and what affects some, affects others... and so on. Humans by their very nature are self-focused, and though social beings, are not socially process oriented. What one gets out of things is often as far as one can see.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #274
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I am going to coin a term here. GPS, or General Populace Syndrome; Here is my take on this, most people are interested in maintaining a personal/familial/inner circle quality of life and therefore are not interested in the bigger picture. These folks are great people, but politics and critical thinking over an extended range of subjects are not skills they developed due to either less of a desire to learn or an ability to use secondary thoughts in life's pursuits rather they choose learning to facilitate a desired lifestyle and so now the ultimate payload cache of this lack of critical thinking development is showing because things have gotten bad quickly, so, we have people who know a situation sucks and they need for more advanced thinkers to offer solutions because the intellectuals of note have failed, leaving a dissatisfied populace without immediate and direct discourse.

    As well, higher education isn't what it used to be. If colleges and universities would facilitate the kind of on the move critical thinking required of bad situations we would have a public of millions of free thinking, unfettered problem solvers.

    We have a lot of work to do.


    Sheeple.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #275
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,756

    Re: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Sheeple.
    Overly simplistic.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #276
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I like your term. The concept is one I have professed for a long time. Ultimately, most folks couldn't care less about what happens unless it affects them and the inner circle in which they live. Unfortunately, what most folks don't realize is that we are all connected in some way, and what affects some, affects others... and so on. Humans by their very nature are self-focused, and though social beings, are not socially process oriented. What one gets out of things is often as far as one can see.
    Many of the perceptions liberals and conservatives have of each other is a result of the above. I don't think you will find an honest conservative that would say our actions only affect ourselves, however the main disagreements of government action versus personal responsibility get in the way. While I think most of us have good intentions we disagree over who needs to carry the burden. All this leads us to argue while the idiots in charge make things worse.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #277
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Overly simplistic.

    Granted. It's a very handy term though.

    Sheep aren't all that bright. They tend to engage in group-think. They tend to run whichever way the herd runs, even if they don't know why or if it is a good idea. They don't give much thought to anything beyond their herd, food, drink, and sex... and tend to take those for granted.

    Seems to describe a lot of human beings.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #278
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,756

    Re: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Many of the perceptions liberals and conservatives have of each other is a result of the above. I don't think you will find an honest conservative that would say our actions only affect ourselves, however the main disagreements of government action versus personal responsibility get in the way. While I think most of us have good intentions we disagree over who needs to carry the burden. All this leads us to argue while the idiots in charge make things worse.
    I would agree, for the most part. Most sane folk understand that the solution is a combination of personal responsibility and government action.

    This is why, in jest, I often say, take all the extremists of each political lean, line them up against a wall and execute them, and then let the rest of us normal folk run the place. Less bickering, more action, fewer idiots around to piss in the soup, who care less about making things better, but only care about winning.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #279
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    This is why, in jest, I often say, take all the extremists of each political lean, line them up against a wall and execute them, and then let the rest of us normal folk run the place.
    Kill all the people who want to kill all the people!

    (In jest.)

  10. #280
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Gun rights advocates rally in Washington, Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Not if I am able to speak in full.



    Those are different things. Those aren't prior restraint, they're just restraint. Assuming those regulations are constitutional, a background check to make sure someone meets them certainly is. It's simply verifying. If you're under 18 and can't vote yet, it's not prior restraint on the right to vote to check your ID beforehand, even if you're actually over 18.



    So 1st amendment is absolute, but the 2nd isnt? Jeesh.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •