Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 309

Thread: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

  1. #151
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

    Although I think homosexuality is a sin and that homosexual marriages shouldn't be allowed, I think this is a good thing. I also think close friends and family should be allowed to have hospital access and not just the wife/husband.

  2. #152
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,698

    Re: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Here is one example I could find.

    Gay Woman Fights over Hospital Visitation Rights in Miami court | CommonDreams.org

    If you are saying every single hospital already allowed gay visitation, you're mistaken.

    But even if you weren't - so what? If so, this order is pointless, and therefore not news. Unless you oppose gay visitation rights, you should not even bother posting on this thread. Why does it bother you that Obama issued this order if you don't oppose it? If you don't oppose it, why do you care if Obama simply made it official?
    Oh...and BTW...Im sure you are already aware of it...but that article you posted...her situation wouldnt have changed with this executive order. At least not what is represented in the article. If the partner didnt already have established a legal will and was in a coma...it would be kind of tough for the patient to give consent...right?

  3. #153
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Sex and race are genetic. Homosexuality has never been proved to be hereditary in any way shape or form so the association is dishonest to say the least.
    Whether sexual preference is chosen or not is completely irrelevant. But if you believe it is relevant, then you have to agree that it's okay to discriminate against religion because that's not hereditary either.

    But of course that's different.

  4. #154
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

    The hospital workers these days are so regulated regarding HIPAA laws that I doubt, in most cases, the denial is intentional or personal discrimination but more of "erroring on the side of caution." Anyone working in the health field can tell you how protective the HIPAA laws are and how strictly they are enforced. Often, their hands are tied.

    It is good that they addressed this and it seems most all people are in agreement that it should be changed in this regard.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #155
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Whether sexual preference is chosen or not is completely irrelevant.
    Not when you want to compare it to the civil rights movement which focus was on gender and race.

    But if you believe it is relevant, then you have to agree that it's okay to discriminate against religion because that's not hereditary either.

    But of course that's different.
    If you ignore the laws against religious discrimination you would be right.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  6. #156
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Not when you want to compare it to the civil rights movement which focus was on gender and race.
    So why can a woman do what a man cannot do, marry a man, legally?

    If you ignore the laws against religious discrimination you would be right.
    I thought part of your argument was based on genetics. Is being Methodist pre determined by genetics?
    Last edited by winston53660; 04-16-10 at 06:46 PM.

  7. #157
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Not when you want to compare it to the civil rights movement which focus was on gender and race.
    Except that civil rights did not focus on race before the 1940's and was "only" about gender. But then it was about race. And now it is about sexual preference. History changes.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    If you ignore the laws against religious discrimination you would be right.
    And now the laws are changing. Next?

    The main thrust of your argument stems from the historical fallacy, which doesn't serve you very well. Perhaps you can see why from the above.

    And what happened to the genetics argument. Did that suddenly just not matter anymore?
    Last edited by Cardinal; 04-16-10 at 06:49 PM.

  8. #158
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,698

    Re: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So why can a woman do what a man cannot do, marry a man, legally?

    I thought part of your argument was based on genetics. Is being Methodist pre determined by genetics?
    For the same reason groups of people cant marry...and brothers and sisters...and there are age limits, etc.

  9. #159
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    For the same reason groups of people cant marry...and brothers and sisters...and there are age limits, etc.
    Are any of those based on gender alone?

  10. #160
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    Re: Obama: gay partners should have hospital access

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    That sounds like more interpersonal family drama than anything else.
    Yes, related to the gayness of the man in question.

    And so was interpersonal drama in the Schiavo case. They didn't like their son-in-law. They thought he was trying to kill their daugther. It's all interpersonal drama.

    Such would is the case where families are homophobic and don't want to allow the partner of the gay/lesbian to visit or to be part of medical decisions.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •