Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 349

Thread: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    At that point, it's a matter of opinions. I personally think the DEA, the FDA, and the FCC are more valuable than a space program. Evidently you don't. What is not a logical position is saying that only luxury spending you personally approve of are okay in a deficit situation.
    We disagree on the value of the DEA, FDA, and FCC. Watch Food, Inc. for insight into how much (not much) the FDA actually does.

    I absolutely do not agree that NASA is luxury spending.

  2. #222
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    We disagree on the value of the DEA, FDA, and FCC. Watch Food, Inc. for insight into how much (not much) the FDA actually does.

    I absolutely do not agree that NASA is luxury spending.
    Love Food, Inc (duh, I am a hippy!). One of my favorite movies.

    Regardless, I see no evidence to show that NASA is not a luxury. Why do you hold that opinion? Scientific research, while nice, is something that the private sector will pick up if it's necessary.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  3. #223
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    It doesn't matter what the percentage is. We're running a deficit and you want to spend money on non-essential research.

    You liberal you.
    Complete hogwash, that. I advocate for cuts in entitlement spending, thereby balancing the budget, hence I'm no liberal.

    Here's the answer to the question you ignored...

    NASA FY 2009, Outlays: $17.318 billion (1).
    Federal deficit FY 2009: $1.42 trillion (2).

    $17.318 billion/$1.42 trillion = 0.012 or about 1%.

    By golly! Such reckless spending. Thank God Obama has rectified this massive fiscal disparity...

    And your definition of "essential research" is up for debate. I doubt you know much about it, though.

    (1) - Budget FY 2009 - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
    (2) - [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_States_federal_budget]2010 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    Last edited by 1984; 04-15-10 at 02:56 PM.

  4. #224
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Complete hogwash, that. I advocate for cuts in entitlement spending, thereby balancing the budget, hence I'm no liberal.

    Here's the answer to the question you ignored...

    NASA FY 2009, Outlays: $17.318 billion (1).
    Federal deficit FY 2009: $1.42 trillion (2).

    $17.318 billion/$1.42 trillion = 0.012%

    By golly! Such reckless spending. Thank God Obama has rectified this massive fiscal disparity...

    And your definition of "essential research" is up for debate. I doubt you know much about it, though.

    (1) - Budget FY 2009 - National Aeronautics and Space Administration
    (2) - 2010 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Why is it up for debate? If it was essential, that would mean people would pay for it and the private sector could take over R&D. Wait...are you saying that the market fails in this instance and the government should step in?!

    Are you sure you're not a liberal?

    You're arguing for a cut in one luxury to support another luxury. That's not only a liberal way of thinking, but a hypocritical liberal way of thinking. I mean, if you're going to be a liberal, at least own up to all of it.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Love Food, Inc (duh, I am a hippy!). One of my favorite movies.

    Regardless, I see no evidence to show that NASA is not a luxury. Why do you hold that opinion? Scientific research, while nice, is something that the private sector will pick up if it's necessary.
    Well, damn, you see no evidence that NASA is not a luxury, therefore it must be true, expert that you are.

    The private sector only does things that are profitable within a limited time frame. How much profit do you think there is in simply flying to the moon and back, or orbiting the moon for a week or two? Lots of cash to be made there!

  6. #226
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Well, damn, you see no evidence that NASA is not a luxury, therefore it must be true, expert that you are.

    The private sector only does things that are profitable within a limited time frame. How much profit do you think there is in simply flying to the moon and back, or orbiting the moon for a week or two? Lots of cash to be made there!
    Let me just make sure I've got your argument right. The private sector is unwilling to pay for a space program because they can't make any money out of it. Since people obviously aren't willing to pay for it in the free market, you're advocating that the government take our money in the form of taxes to pay for something we wouldn't willingly pay for ourselves because the government "knows better."

    You realize how very socialist that sounds, right?
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  7. #227
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Love Food, Inc (duh, I am a hippy!). One of my favorite movies.
    I did not know you were a hippy! Have you watched a movie where the woman is autistic but gets a college degree and works at a slaughterhouse to ensure that the cattle are killed more humanely, which so happens to increase the throughput of the slaughterhouse? Good movie...can't recall the name. Found it: Temple Grandin.

    Regardless, I see no evidence to show that NASA is not a luxury. Why do you hold that opinion? Scientific research, while nice, is something that the private sector will pick up if it's necessary.
    Science is not a luxury. Space flight is not a luxury. They are necessary to us keeping our standard of living and position of pre-eminence in the world.

    The private sector finds no profit in basic science or space flight. They would not be interested.
    Last edited by reefedjib; 04-15-10 at 03:24 PM.

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Why is it up for debate?
    Last time I checked, you weren't the final arbiter on what's "essential" and what is not. I don't know, maybe I missed your coronation or something...

    If it was essential, that would mean people would pay for it and the private sector could take over R&D.
    In my humble opinion, manned space exploration is essential to the long term prosperity and security of the United States. The "long term" nature of such a venture prohibits profit-oriented models from effectively assuming the responsibility for space exploration.

    Wait...are you saying that the market fails in this instance and the government should step in?!
    Yes, the free market has its limitations, or haven't you taken an economics course?

    I wonder what would have happened if we left the A-bomb to the free market...

    Are you sure you're not a liberal?
    Pretty damn sure.

    You're arguing for a cut in one luxury to support another luxury. That's not only a liberal way of thinking, but a hypocritical liberal way of thinking. I mean, if you're going to be a liberal, at least own up to all of it.
    Name-calling and childish labeling is all you got. Is there someone with at least a cursory understanding of basic economics and science that I can discuss this issue with?

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    05-19-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    496

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Let me just make sure I've got your argument right.
    I doubt it...

    The private sector is unwilling to pay for a space program because they can't make any money out of it. Since people obviously aren't willing to pay for it in the free market, you're advocating that the government take our money in the form of taxes to pay for something we wouldn't willingly pay for ourselves because the government "knows better."

    You realize how very socialist that sounds, right?
    You could make the exact same argument for the military.

  10. #230
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    I did not know you were a hippy! Have you watched a movie where the woman is autistic but gets a college degree and works at a slaughterhouse to ensure that the cattle are killed more humanely, which so happens to increase the throughput of the slaughterhouse? Good movie...can't recall the name.
    Haven't heard of it. I'm sure at some point netflix will recommend it to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Science is not a luxury. Space flight is not a luxury. They are necessary to us keeping our standard of living and position of pre-eminence in the world.

    The private sector finds no profit in basic science or space flight. They would not be interested.
    Some science is not a luxury. That's why corporations have R&D departments. If people don't want to pay for the space program, who are you to tell them we need it?
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •