Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 349

Thread: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

  1. #191
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Fox_86 View Post
    WOMAN, I meant that the private sector is run by corporations with a budget. They cannot spend the amounts of money the government can on research. Buidling a satellite does not only include the materials a lot of work goes into it.
    I understand how R&D works within a corporation. Many sectors spend a large percentage of their budget on it. If it was to vital to mankind, they'd pay for it. Look at medical research, arguably much more beneficial to mankind. The medical industry pays for most of it, because they know that people need new drugs. If the scientific industries thought that people needed and would pay for space exploration, you can bet they'd be paying for it. But since the benefit to humans is indirect and mostly educational, very few people would pay for such research.

    I actually do think the government should fund it...eventually. But it's mostly for the cool factor.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  2. #192
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Don't call me Lucy.

    Easy, we launch payload to the moon from earth, spending the full amount of lift capability to do so. Then we launch multiple missions from the moon only spending 1/4 each time. This does not work for raw materials that can only be used once, including fuel. It does work for manned missions.
    got it not-lucy

    that 100 pound payload we launched from cape Kennedy goes to the moon

    then we re-launch it as the equivalent of 25 pounds once again

    so, we have now incurred the cost to launch 125 pounds to move 100 pounds to its ulitmate destination

    with that kind of math you should work for AIG in its derivatives department
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    got it not-lucy

    that 100 pound payload we launched from cape Kennedy goes to the moon

    then we re-launch it as the equivalent of 25 pounds once again

    so, we have now incurred the cost to launch 125 pounds to move 100 pounds to its ulitmate destination

    with that kind of math you should work for AIG in its derivatives department
    Did you miss where I specified multiple missions from the moon?

  4. #194
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Did you miss where I specified multiple missions from the moon?
    what i missed is where you pointed out the math to represent the resulting savings

    i won't hold my breath
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #195
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    got it not-lucy

    that 100 pound payload we launched from cape Kennedy goes to the moon

    then we re-launch it as the equivalent of 25 pounds once again

    so, we have now incurred the cost to launch 125 pounds to move 100 pounds to its ulitmate destination

    with that kind of math you should work for AIG in its derivatives department
    not to mention the expensive warehousing of future project material that gets staged on the moon...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    what i missed is where you pointed out the math to represent the resulting savings

    i won't hold my breath
    Why don't you just ask me instead of being obnoxious? There is a difference between deadlift of fuel, O2, food, and water versus a manned mission. Deadlist requires a rocket and simple bulk payload. Manned mission requires a re-entry vehicle and all the lifesupport, etc. You ship one manned mission to the moon, and multiple deadlift missions to supply. You can then stage multiple manned missions to earth orbit at a fraction of the cost.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    not to mention the expensive warehousing of future project material that gets staged on the moon...
    Those materials can be stored outside a lifesupport facility.

  8. #198
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    What did I miss? I think he was joking about that Lucy thing.
    It was a joke, but perhaps he has never seen the old "I Love Lucy" show....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    What did I miss? I think he was joking about that Lucy thing.
    It's the baiting and confrontational attitude. It had nada to do with the Lucy comment. It was the "I won't be holding my breath" comment. It is not fun having a discussion with those who practice such things.
    Last edited by reefedjib; 04-15-10 at 12:47 PM.

  10. #200
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Neil Armstrong, other astronauts call Obama's NASA plans 'devastating'

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Why don't you just ask me instead of being obnoxious? There is a difference between deadlift of fuel, O2, food, and water versus a manned mission. Deadlist requires a rocket and simple bulk payload. Manned mission requires a re-entry vehicle and all the lifesupport, etc. You ship one manned mission to the moon, and multiple deadlift missions to supply. You can then stage multiple manned missions to earth orbit at a fraction of the cost.
    Why wouldn't a staging platform in geosynchronous orbit be significantly cheaper than staging on the moon? What does the moon provide aside from gravity?

Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •