Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 365

Thread: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

  1. #221
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    This is ignorant postion on the lefts part.


    "Well regulated" meant "in good working order"....


    In order for there to be a militia in "good working order" all of the people should not be restricted in thier ownership and ability to keep and bear arms....



    Duh.
    I remember the source you posted earlier claiming such, but why should we trust that source?
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  2. #222
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    I remember the source you posted earlier claiming such, but why should we trust that source?
    His "working order" is not all that clear. More that disciplined or trained, maybe even under a command. The court has waxed and waned on this from the beginning. Early on it was seen as a collective right and not an individual one. Later individual. And back and forth. If the amendment was better written, I suspect it wouldn't still face contention today. And much of why it was written no longer applies today.

    While I have no emotional feeling about weapons, I don't mind hunters having weapons to hunt with. I don't even mind someone who knows how to handle a weapon having one. Even crooks scare me less than idiots and the insane. But while I don't support banning weapons, reasonable control doesn't bother me.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #223
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,620

    Re: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    His "working order" is not all that clear. More that disciplined or trained, maybe even under a command. The court has waxed and waned on this from the beginning. Early on it was seen as a collective right and not an individual one. Later individual. And back and forth. If the amendment was better written, I suspect it wouldn't still face contention today. And much of why it was written no longer applies today.

    While I have no emotional feeling about weapons, I don't mind hunters having weapons to hunt with. I don't even mind someone who knows how to handle a weapon having one. Even crooks scare me less than idiots and the insane. But while I don't support banning weapons, reasonable control doesn't bother me.
    controls are not reasonable unless they not only do not infringe on the honest but they also have proven effectiveness in impacting the lawless.

    most of the stuff that is proposed meets neither test, almost none meets both



  4. #224
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,492

    Re: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    I remember the source you posted earlier claiming such, but why should we trust that source?



    it footnoted each and every time the phrase was used, and its oxford english dictionary of that time period.

    The evidence and the proof meets all standards of requirments to be observed as an indisputale fact.


    You are free to show me an opposing definition of that time if you so have it.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #225
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,620

    Re: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    it footnoted each and every time the phrase was used, and its oxford english dictionary of that time period.

    The evidence and the proof meets all standards of requirments to be observed as an indisputale fact.


    You are free to show me an opposing definition of that time if you so have it.
    It is a settled issue to those who actually spend alot of time on this issue.

    well regulated meant a militia that had been formed, chosen officers and had a mission. A well regulated militia could not be formed if people were not READY willing and ABLE to heed the call to muster/



  6. #226
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    controls are not reasonable unless they not only do not infringe on the honest but they also have proven effectiveness in impacting the lawless.

    most of the stuff that is proposed meets neither test, almost none meets both
    As I have said, I don't worry AS much about criminals as I do the stupid, careless or mentally impaired.

    As for the rest, I was speaking more general than you are.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #227
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,620

    Re: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As I have said, I don't worry AS much about criminals as I do the stupid, careless or mentally impaired.

    As for the rest, I was speaking more general than you are.
    what law stops the careless? or who is stupid? to a dem anyone who didn't vote for Obama? Mentally impaired-it is illegal for someone adjudicated mentally incompetent to possess a firearm



  8. #228
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what law stops the careless? or who is stupid? to a dem anyone who didn't vote for Obama? Mentally impaired-it is illegal for someone adjudicated mentally incompetent to possess a firearm
    Safety locks. Holding parents responsible for leaving guns at the bed side for kids to find. Laws against the mentally impaired having weapons (fought against at one time).

    Let me tell you who is stupid. I used to work on a ambulance. Never once did I ever pick up a shooting victim shot in a robbery or rape or any such crime. Always accidental, or in a fight. One I remember real well was a man who bought a new pistol and took it to a party. He was trying to spin the gun around like some fancy cowboy. The gun went off and killed a young girl across the room. I don't know if we could tell he was stupid before hand, I like to think we could, but we do know he's stupid now.

    Again, experience tells me stupid people, careless people and mentally disturbed people are more dangerous.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #229
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,620

    Re: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Safety locks. Holding parents responsible for leaving guns at the bed side for kids to find. Laws against the mentally impaired having weapons (fought against at one time).

    Let me tell you who is stupid. I used to work on a ambulance. Never once did I ever pick up a shooting victim shot in a robbery or rape or any such crime. Always accidental, or in a fight. One I remember real well was a man who bought a new pistol and took it to a party. He was trying to spin the gun around like some fancy cowboy. The gun went off and killed a young girl across the room. I don't know if we could tell he was stupid before hand, I like to think we could, but we do know he's stupid now.

    Again, experience tells me stupid people, careless people and mentally disturbed people are more dangerous.
    well having investigated dozens of shootings I can tell you that laws don't stop accidents. Someone who doesn't think about the consequences of letting junior play with a Mac-11 isn't thinking about getting a fine for leaving the gun where a kid can play with it.

    Every gun law scheme I have seen are nothing more than that-schemes designed to move us closer to a gun ban.

    accidental shootings have decreased over the last-16 years despite massive amounts of gun buying spurred on by Clinton and Obama



  10. #230
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Oklahoma Tea Party Plans To Form Armed Militia

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    well having investigated dozens of shootings I can tell you that laws don't stop accidents. Someone who doesn't think about the consequences of letting junior play with a Mac-11 isn't thinking about getting a fine for leaving the gun where a kid can play with it.

    Every gun law scheme I have seen are nothing more than that-schemes designed to move us closer to a gun ban.

    accidental shootings have decreased over the last-16 years despite massive amounts of gun buying spurred on by Clinton and Obama
    Or could it be you merely see every law as schemes to move us closer to a gun ban. To be honest, I think too many people see what they want to see, to fit their world view. It's rare to fine people who can put their own biases aside. And that is true for all sides. The only I think I have different is that I have no dog in this argument. None. I don't think laws can prevent stupid people. But we can mandate a few things, like guns out of reach and with trigger locks. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me for a house hold with kids. And if you don't, face the music for your irresponsibility and stupidity. Not a problem for me.

    But I see no reason to remove guns from responsible people who know how to use and house them. Nothing against hunters. Like to hunt myself from time to time (no where near as much as I used to).

    So, in short, reasonable is reasonable. Unreasonable not reasonable.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •