Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

    Dare to buy red roses or a newspaper from a street vendor, and soon you could be breaking the law.

    At least in Oakland Park, Fla.

    Citing traffic safety concerns, officials in the Fort Lauderdale suburb of 42,000 tentatively approved an ordinance targeting not only panhandlers and peddlers, but the people who give to them or buy something from them.

    Under the ordinance initially passed last month, anyone who responds to a beggar with money or any "article of value" or buys flowers or a newspaper from someone on the street would face a fine of $50 to $100 and as many as 90 days in jail.
    And I am sure that many of those who supported and passed this ordinance consider themselves to be upstanding Christians. They seem to forget that Christ himself once said that whatever we do unto "the least of these" we have done unto him. In the 21st Century, the meaning of Christianity has been perverted beyond recognition.

    "This is a Christian nation. Hallelujah. And all you unwashed bums get out of my sight. I don't want you polluting my beautiful and godly town."

    The Bible says that, at the end of days, some will gain everlasting life, and others will gain everlasting shame. When I finally go to meet my maker, I don't want to be cast out because I called myself a Christian, while refusing to abide by Christ's words. In Christianity, that is the worst kind of hypocrisy imaginable, and Christ did say that there is a special place in Hell reserved for hypocrites.

    Besides, giving a little money out to those who need it makes me feel good. Who knows, maybe if my life had turned out differently, I could have been the one standing under that bridge.

    I don't want to hear "Those who live under bridges deserve it", or any other BS, and I don't want the damn government telling me what I can or cannot do with MY OWN DAMN MONEY. If I want to give of my own free will, then I will do it, and the government can go straight to hell. Give me the 90 days in jail, and I refuse to pay the fine.

    Article is here
    .
    Last edited by danarhea; 04-12-10 at 08:55 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

    Yup ! If someone wants to give their money way to people who live under bridges they have that right. That beats having the government hand out money to people who do not have a valid address.
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

    Looking through the article, I can't understand why they wanna ban it outright, if they're so concerned about road safety, at worst they could ban it at traffic lights or whatever, otherwise this is an obvious ploy to get rid of the homeless and get them to move on to another town.

    Shameful

  4. #4
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Looking through the article, I can't understand why they wanna ban it outright, if they're so concerned about road safety, at worst they could ban it at traffic lights or whatever, otherwise this is an obvious ploy to get rid of the homeless and get them to move on to another town.

    Shameful
    Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of politicians !!! The shadow do!!
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  5. #5
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of politicians !!! The shadow do!!
    I think Sauron is involved.

  6. #6
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    And I am sure that many of those who supported and passed this ordinance consider themselves to be upstanding Christians. They seem to forget that Christ himself once said that whatever we do unto "the least of these" we have done unto him. In the 21st Century, the meaning of Christianity has been perverted beyond recognition.

    "This is a Christian nation. Hallelujah. And all you unwashed bums get out of my sight. I don't want you polluting my beautiful and godly town."

    The Bible says that, at the end of days, some will gain everlasting life, and others will gain everlasting shame. When I finally go to meet my maker, I don't want to be cast out because I called myself a Christian, while refusing to abide by Christ's words. In Christianity, that is the worst kind of hypocrisy imaginable, and Christ did say that there is a special place in Hell reserved for hypocrites.
    As far as I know the article says nothing about donating to the charities that help the homeless. So please save your christian bashing for something else. There is nothing hypocritical about saying do not donate to the panhandlers. There are plenty of reasons to ban donating to pan handlers or to limit where there can be services for the homeless. Most of those are public safety issues and because most of the time they do not need to pan handle.

    Besides, giving a little money out to those who need it makes me feel good. Who knows, maybe if my life had turned out differently, I could have been the one standing under that bridge.
    So you feel good about furthering someone's alcohol and drug abuse?Good for you. I do not know about the town you live in, but in the town I live we have soup kitchens that feed the homeless, John 3:16 missions,Day centers, homeless shelters, Salvation army and other organizations that help the homeless. The only reason the homeless beg for money is to facilitate a drug or alcohol problem not because they can not get any food or any help.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 04-12-10 at 09:22 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #7
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So you feel good about furthering someone's alcohol and drug abuse?Good for you. I do not know about the town you live in, but in the town I live we have soup kitchens that feed the homeless, John 3:16 missions,Day centers, homeless shelters, Salvation army and other organizations that help the homeless. The only reason the homeless beg for money is to facilitate a drug or alcohol problem not because they can not get any food or any help.
    Well of course some of it facilitates drug and alcohol use. To think otherwise is naive, but just as naive is the assumption that they all do as well. I just think this is an obvious ploy to get rid of the homeless from their town. Oh and by the way, soup kitchens aren't always able to feed every homeless per on everyday. Especially when a lot of food distribution for the homeless relies on donations which have become a lot less during the ressesion.

    Go live on the street for awhile and tell me how easy it is to get food.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

    1) Nice Christian bash....
    2) My sister has a condo in Oakland Park, right on the ICW & she is sick of bums stinking up the joint, & I don't blame her....
    I'm sick of looking at them here as well.....

  9. #9
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Well of course some of it facilitates drug and alcohol use. To think otherwise is naive, but just as naive is the assumption that they all do as well.
    Perhaps the line of thinking is if people quit giving money to panhandlers then the homeless will not hassle or sometimes threaten people for money and therefore will be have to rely on the soup kitchens and dozens of other organizations that help the homeless.

    I just think this is an obvious ploy to get rid of the homeless from their town.
    I think this thread is a ploy to bash Christians. If they wanted to kick out the homeless then they can ban soup kitchens and other facilities that help the homeless as well as ban pan handling and giving to panhandlers.

    Oh and by the way, soup kitchens aren't always able to feed every homeless per on everyday. Especially when a lot of food distribution for the homeless relies on donations which have become a lot less during the ressesion.
    The only time the ones around here run out of food is during the Holidays when they wish to give the homeless a thanks giving dinner or to donate turkeys to low income families.

    Go live on the street for awhile and tell me how easy it is to get food.
    Why do I need to live on the street to know that if you are going to donate money to the homeless that it should be the organizations that help the homeless not the panhandlers on the street?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #10
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Florida ordinance targets people who give to beggars and peddlers

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Perhaps the line of thinking is if people quit giving money to panhandlers then the homeless will not hassle or sometimes threaten people for money and therefore will be have to rely on the soup kitchens and dozens of other organizations that help the homeless.



    I think this thread is a ploy to bash Christians. If they wanted to kick out the homeless then they can ban soup kitchens and other facilities that help the homeless as well as ban pan handling and giving to panhandlers.



    The only time the ones around here run out of food is during the Holidays when they wish to give the homeless a thanks giving dinner or to donate turkeys to low income families.



    Why do I need to live on the street to know that if you are going to donate money to the homeless that it should be the organizations that help the homeless not the panhandlers on the street?
    I didn't say anything about christains personally, i just don't agree with this policy. Once again some homeless people can get aggressive while the vast majority are not. And how do you know honestly that they only run out of food once a year? Do you go and ask them?

    I agree there are lots of organizations that help the homeless, but in a lot of cities, especially the bigger ones, they just do not have the recourses to help everyone. Most homeless people tend to have have a mental condition so they can't get a job. They're just trying to survive, saying they're all one thing or another is just wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •