Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of Teen

  1. #21
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of T

    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    You have to admit the ‘irony’ of a pedophile priest though. It’s just SO scandalous.

    Fair or not, the church is going to take heat because news is based on ratings, and sex scandals in the church are good business. People are going to have a skewed opinion because of it.

    I have no problem with you wanting to educate people to the point you’re making – as long as you don’t get all preachy or anything…

    Peace
    I try not to be the preachy type, but I will defend my faith when it needs to be defended, but when criticism is needed, I will do so in the spirit of Thomas More -- who DIED for the Faith -- and that is a spirit of wanting to make the Church better and to correct wrongs.

    Pedophile priests DO need to be addressed, but when the Vatican is unfairly attacked, I will defend it.

    Back to this issue, it is a societal problem and it needs to be addressed wholistically... Perhaps this incident and its being publicized will help focus attention on the broader problem.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #22
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of T

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Back to this issue, it is a societal problem and it needs to be addressed wholistically... Perhaps this incident and its being publicized will help focus attention on the broader problem.
    I doubt it will though, because in my brief time paying attention to stories like these I have noticed only the big ones are talked about. Michael Jackson, priests, Boy scout leaders. Those are the stories people want to hear about and get upset over. Not the fact that some random person who isn't famous or belong to a well known organization did it. I wish it wasn't the case because it is a problem.

  3. #23
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of T

    The OP clumsily attempts to tie this story about the serial misdeeds of dozens of high school swimming coaches to previous stories about the serial misdeeds of dozens of Roman Catholic priests.

    What the OP overlooks is that the commonality between the two sets of stories doesn't end with just the nature of the crimes but also the failures of the organizations that support those criminal swimming coaches and those criminal priests.

    USA Swimming's and the Roman Catholic Church's failure to recognize their responsibility, indeed their culpability, in these horrific crime sprees is rightly rejected by the public, who expected more from their public employees and far, far more from God's purported servants.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  4. #24
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of T

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    The OP clumsily attempts to tie this story about the serial misdeeds of dozens of high school swimming coaches to previous stories about the serial misdeeds of dozens of Roman Catholic priests.

    What the OP overlooks is that the commonality between the two sets of stories doesn't end with just the nature of the crimes but also the failures of the organizations that support those criminal swimming coaches and those criminal priests.

    USA Swimming's and the Roman Catholic Church's failure to recognize their responsibility, indeed their culpability, in these horrific crime sprees is rightly rejected by the public, who expected more from their public employees and far, far more from God's purported servants.
    Oh it's just "petty gossip" and you know it /sarcasm

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of T

    ludahai, I think you're issue was you didn't give really any indication of your point in the OP other than referencing it to catholics. It didn't look like there was any thought there beyond simply utilizing a story of a traumatic situation to push essentially a one liner political opinion. If you had posted what you posted later on, with a more indepth reasoning why you felt they were connected, I think it would've gone over better.

    That said, there are reasons that the outrage is there more so for the catholic church right now than say, U.S.A. Swimming.

    First, we need to look at the culture thing. Religion is something ingrained in a large segment of the population and is viewed as holy, sacred, and good. The mental impact of someone who is not simply a coach or mentor, but is your spiritual leader, likely hits into the psyche of America far more than "coach fondles kid". Its that even greater trust factor. One guy teaches you how to swim. The other teaches you how to connected with your lord and savior.

    Second, while the USA Swimming guy was definitely a douche in presentation, the action was swift. It was found out, they were fired, end of story at this point. The Catholic church has a history of shuffling around and hiding those that perform the acts, which frankly makes each subsequent situation even more heated, even more inflaming, and an even bigger deal.

    Third, and this goes with number two, it seems to be how long many of these situations have been going on with the Catholic Church that causes some of the excess heated focus on it. Not only does it point to the above suggestion of covering it up, but the simple length of them cause a greater outcry in and of themselves. Its one thing if a guy molested two or three kids, was caught, and that was the end. Its another thing if a persons been there for 20 years, doing it that entire time.

    Fourth, is the inherently hypocritical nature of it with a catholic priest which then piles an additional thing on top of the pedophilia. In both cases the coach and the priest would've done wrong, however the Priest has also been standing in front of you and his patrons for X amount of years preaching the word of god, listening to your confessions, speaking about sins and morality...all the while doing something absolutely reprenhensible within the actual church.

    Fifth, I understand your point about the Celebacy and how its a bit of a red herring to focus on that as a "causes" for it in the Catholic Church when NON-celebate people do the act as well. I think there's a legitimate argument you have there. At the same time, I think there is some sense to the notion that it may INCREASE the risk, though by how much I can't say.

    Ultimately, I get your point. There's HUGE focus when this happens with the catholic church while if it happens elsewhere its a story and then it passes. However, as detailed above, I think much of that is due to the Catholic Church's actions and the social aspect surrounding it.

  6. #26
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of T

    Jesus promoted celibacy, but never required it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of T

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    You mean you don't follow the rhetoric and hatred spewed by anti-Catholics on this board and in other places?
    Talking about the Catholic church's behavior in regards to ongoing sexual molestation by police isn't "anti-Catholic hatred." It's factual and deserves to be discussed.

    Interesting how your sympathy is all with the organization. For instance, you posted this story and said NOTHING about the victim. Your only point in posting it was, apparently, to defend the Catholic church. Pathetic.

    Truthfully, it makes your cause look rather worse.

    p.s. For the record, I don't judge the Catholic church because they've had sex offenders in their midst. Most entities that work with children have had issues with this as well. I judge the Catholic church because the hierarchy COVERED UP THESE CASES and refused to report them to the proper authorities.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 04-12-10 at 10:11 AM.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of T

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I was not trying to demean this problem, but it is societal, as your statistic points out. I am annoyed at people who seem to think that this is only a problem in the Church, and I think the annoyance is understandable. You know, as well as I, that there are people who irrationally attack the Church on this issue (there ARE some reasonable attacks, but not many of them by the anti-Catholic persons on DP). This story shows that it is a much bigger issue and that people's accusations that certain Church policies make the Church more likely to suffer from it. I hope you see where I am getting at now.
    I see where your going and I agree.....This is a society problem not just ministers, priests and coaches.......There are some people in DP that want to make it a Catholic Church problem only...They seem to hate the church when in fact only about 1% of the ten of thousands of priests have been accused or convicted which is probably about the same in the public sector.......
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of T

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I see where your going and I agree.....This is a society problem not just ministers, priests and coaches.......There are some people in DP that want to make it a Catholic Church problem only...They seem to hate the church when in fact only about 1% of the ten of thousands of priests have been accused or convicted which is probably about the same in the public sector.......
    So are you saying that the Catholic Church HASN'T had a problem with sexual abuse of children?

  10. #30
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,722

    Re: ABC News Investigation: USA Swimming Coaches Molested, Secretly Taped Dozens of T

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    link



    Must be because US Swimming required their coaches to be celebate and they are violating RICO statutes by covering things up, right?
    So now we know where defrocked priests end up. Or is it the other way around?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •