Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 243

Thread: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Okay...seriously...is the assumption here that high school aged boys aren't going to be thinking about sex if they're not talked to about condoms?

    REALLY?
    No.

    My argument is that the information should be given in the proper cultural context, and that this is something the public school is incapable of doing.

    There is no requirement that the class be held in a public school building, by public school teachers.

    Sex-ed is certainly important, but there is no room for it in the public school. 3rd party alternatives are required to give the information while accounting for cultural and social diversity.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    A comprehensive sex education program has been found to be the most effective method in preventing teenage pregnancy and STD's. Absintence only has been found to be less effective than this, as has NO sex education. The latter disproves the point that it should be left to the parents, only. When it is, it is not effective, as some parents do not do an adequate job. This effects society in general, with an increase in teenage pregnancy, STD's, folks with lower incomes, and abortions. I can think of no evidence that would convince me that this is not the most effective method towards assisting young people. And the assumption that this endorses sexual behavior is ridiculous. It TEACHES sex education, it does not teach values.
    There are more options then public school sex-ed or abstinence only.

    Besides, the reason former studies showed no positive effect of abstinence-only programs is because those studies did not account for functional/dysfunctional homes. A later study (which I don't have handy but would be happy to dig up if you would like) showed that sex-ed programs made no significant change, positively or negatively, on children from either home style. Children from functional homes were less likely to have sex as early whether they had sex-ed or not. Children from dysfunctional homes were more likely to have sex early (and abuse drugs, and commit crime, and run away, and commit suicide, etc) whether they had sex-ed or not.

    Hen you say "teens are going to do it anyway", you are dismissing the cause of the behavior, you are ignoring the problem.

    Accepting the premise "teens are going to do it anyway" is giving up on ever doing anything about improving family cohesion and viability.

    Teens are far less likely to "do it anyway" if those teens come from stable homes. Teens are much more likely to "do it anyway" if they come from dysfunctional homes.

    Public sex-ed does not address the problem driving teen sex, STDs and teen pregnancy.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-09-10 at 07:52 PM.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why didn't we have rampant pregnancies during the Colonial Era?
    Fathers were allowed to shoot the boy if he A. got her pregnant, or B. did not subsequently marry her.

    If you want to act like an adult, then we're going to hold you to adult responsibility, and that means providing for your children.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Oh so because you were dumb and got a girl pregnant, other kids shouldn't have reasonable sex education to help prevent your mistakes from happening to them.
    I'm not going to return fire because our friendship is more important to me then winning some petty debate here.

  5. #135
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    No one said we didn't have pregnancies, we're talking about it being a huge problem.
    Personally, I don't think it's as big as a problem others make it out to be.

  6. #136
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're saying that schools give out condoms to help teens stop having sex.
    Well, what I'm trying to say is that schools should teach teenager how contraceptives work so they won't have an unwanted pregnancy and know how to have sex while lowering the risk of STDs when they become adults. I won't bother with an analogy for that, though.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, what I'm trying to say is that schools should teach teenager how contraceptives work so they won't have an unwanted pregnancy and know how to have sex while lowering the risk of STDs when they become adults. I won't bother with an analogy for that, though.
    I take little or no issue with the content of age-appropriate programs.

    I take issue with the context in which they're presented.

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    I do not send my kids to school to learn how to roll a condom on their/his penis.

    What's next? How to give a blow job without scraping your teeth and causing a potential infection?

    Gimme a break. School was not meant for this. American children by and large are just plain stupid. I interview people regularly that just leave me shaking my head about how ridiculously uneducated they are at such an advanced age. THAT is the bigger problem.
    And your solution is to stop the education...
    Typical conservative.

  9. #139
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    That's the underlying message, even if not intentional.

    "We know kids will be kids and we all do it, so here, use this and it'll all be okay."

    That's what the kids hear in their teenage minds.
    Firstly, it's NOT the underlying message. Maybe it is in YOUR head, but that is irrelevant. Secondly, teenagers will hear what teenagers will hear. That in no way precludes preventing them from receiving important information.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #140
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: DA: sex ed could get teachers arrested

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    As opposed to ID/Creationism which is just; The Bible says it that means it must be true. In addition the scientific community hasnt declared Evolution theory being closed, it will probably be always an open and ever changing theory.
    I like what you say here: and then I read your signature.

    Why do you wish death on those you disagree with?

    Cause I'm really sick and tired of the whole "enemy" thing.

    If you disagree with me, you're my philosophical opponent. You're not my mortal enemy upon whom I wish death.

    I'm just really, really freakin' sick of the death and war analogies in politics. This country is beginning to suck - less because of the government (which does really suck) than because the people here are acting like disagreement is the equivalent of a threat to one's life.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •