Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 194

Thread: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

  1. #21
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA but mostly in my head
    Last Seen
    06-02-10 @ 06:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    161

    Re: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    That is such a load of crap. You could maybe, maybe make the argument that someone firing a gun at American troops on foreign soil qualifies, you could maybe make the argument that non-citizens on the field of battle qualify, but never a citizen of the United States who is not actively engaging our troops.



    Innocent Americans are fair game.

    There, does that make me an enemy combatant too? .
    It doesnt make you an enemy combantant because you are only expressing opinion. You live. But will probably go to jail lol if you persist. The man in question provides aid and contributes ideas which create situations for the demise of people just going about their day. We have already attacked this issue in regards to Hitler. Some of his men didnt kills the Jews but were held responsible for indirectly killing jews. The scientist, the philosophers, and the clergy. I get your point and it is a good one but Im sure government has evidence that condemns him to direct acts of killing troops or citizens politicians dont stick their necks out so easily.


    .


    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    That's exactly why we have to afford this guy the protections he so disdains -- because if we can strip him of his rights without due process, we can strip anyone of their rights without due process.
    I understand your point and it makes complete sense. In fact you are right to protect Americans rights. But to say we will hunt and kill terrorist where ever they hide and then say this one guy we have to bring in alive is counter productive. Its dead or Alive because just the fact that he is American can recruit more Americans creating an atmosphere that is deadly to us. When an American can learn how to build a bomb then buy all the materials in the country and create death and destruction all because that person was treated differently because he was an American. A terrorist is a terrorist who seeks to harm all that is civil and just and justice must prevail. If he can be brought in alive than good but if not you have to take the shot. It is a slippery slope but there is evidence and thus fact so the fact remains that we will hunt and kill terrorist where ever they are.
    Last edited by thoughtprocess; 04-07-10 at 02:48 PM.

  2. #22
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    This cleric was alleged to have counseled Hasan to do what he ultimately did.
    Uhh.. Then if he allegedly did that maybe we should be signing orders to have him captured and questioned. Why is the instantly jumping to death?
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  3. #23
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

    The problem is... it's nigh impossible to serve him with an arrest warrant in Yemen. Pity the poor FBI agent who draws this crappy assignment.

    Even the Yemeni military avoids certain renegade provinces. Very dangerous. This is why the CIA relies on Predator attacks in Yemen. It's the safest and possibly the only way to neutralize some very bad actors.

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  4. #24
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,207

    Re: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

    He was an active threat to the American nation, hence had to be taken out on the grounds of homeland security.

    Nothing immoral there.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  5. #25
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,010

    Re: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    The problem is... it's nigh impossible to serve him with an arrest warrant in Yemen. Pity the poor FBI agent who draws this crappy assignment.

    Even the Yemeni military avoids certain renegade provinces. Very dangerous. This is why the CIA relies on Predator attacks in Yemen. It's the safest and possibly the only way to neutralize some very bad actors.
    What would Batman do? Sneak in there and snatch that mutha f'r with Operation Sky hook. We should all be more like Batman. :p

    Stuff that is worth our effort though needs to be met with our own humans. If it isn't worth sending in special forces or troops then we shouldn't settle for oblivion via newage mindless dragons in the sky.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  6. #26
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,207

    Re: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    What would Batman do? Sneak in there and snatch that mutha f'r with Operation Sky hook. We should all be more like Batman. :p
    While I'm certain that you base your entire opinions on figures like Batman, one must remember that he is operating in Gotham City, and with all due respect to the crazies of Gotham, he wouldn't survive a day in Yemen.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    04-13-10 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    240

    Re: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Some of you might be of a mind to cheer, but before you do, consider this:

    By what authority does President Obamacommand the US military?

    That granted by the Constitution.

    How is it not a violation of the 5th Amendment to hunt down and execute an American citizen without a trial?
    The Geneva Conventions are part of the US Constitution and govern the conduct of warfare.

  8. #28
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

    ... Eugene Volokh, exploring in a Salon article the case of American gone al Qaeda adventurer John Walker, writes in 2001 that "8 U.S.C. 1481 : US Code - Section 1481" may provide such a mechanism.

    As Volokh then wrote pondering whether a terrorist could be stripped of his US citizenship:

    Maybe. A federal statute says that a citizen loses his citizenship by "serving in the armed forces of a foreign state if such armed forces are engaged in hostilities against the United States" but only if he does so "with the intention of relinquishing United States [citizenship]."




    Stripping US Citizenship from Terrorists? - The Washington Note
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #29
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,610

    Re: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

    Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    The Geneva Conventions are part of the US Constitution and govern the conduct of warfare.



    they are? which amendment?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #30
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    If the President derives his authority to hunt down this cleric from the Constitution, then as a citizen of the United States this cleric enjoys the protections afforded any citizen by the Constitution.
    ^^
    This.

    I think it's wrong for any government to order the execution of one of its citizens without due process. Wrong and scary.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •