Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 99

Thread: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,360

    Re: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    It isn't as if the Catholic Church had anything to do with Concentration Camps, if that is what you are suggesting. Poland was well behind the lines of the war and was occupied by Germany much earlier on than places to the west.

    That you would in some way connect the CHurch to the Holocaust is not only historically wrong, it is highly offensive.
    I am not cennecting the church but the people of Poland who follow the church.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    I am not cennecting the church but the people of Poland who follow the church.
    The Polish people were not the instigators of the Jewish Holocaust, they were victims of the Nazis. You really need to study your history. 6 million Polish people died at the hands of the Nazis, half of whom were Polish Jews, the other half Catholics.

    Presumably, Auschwitz was the location of a large camp because it was in the hated Polish territory where many Jews lived. There were many Jews in Poland because it had been a relatively hospitable place where Jews were able to thrive.

    In Poland, there was a death sentence for any citizen who helped a Jew. Not so in the rest of Europe. The Nazis had a special disdain for the Slavic Poles, who they thought as racially inferior.

  3. #53
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    I am not cennecting the church but the people of Poland who follow the church.
    And you think the people of Poland WILLINGLY allowed this to happen? Like they had a choice?!?!?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,360

    Re: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    And you think the people of Poland WILLINGLY allowed this to happen? Like they had a choice?!?!?
    You are entitled to your opinion. Just seems that a religion that professes to be so careful about life of unborn children would care more about their fellow countrymen. While the vatican did not support the killing they did little to oppose it either.

    I am of the belief that if the church had stood up the Germans were not going to wipe out all Christians. Take away the nazi cover and the Germans are a bery Christian nation.

  5. #55
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion. Just seems that a religion that professes to be so careful about life of unborn children would care more about their fellow countrymen. While the vatican did not support the killing they did little to oppose it either.

    I am of the belief that if the church had stood up the Germans were not going to wipe out all Christians. Take away the nazi cover and the Germans are a bery Christian nation.
    1. The Pope DID oppose the killing and did a lot to SAVE THE LIVES of large numbers of Jews.
    2. The Catholic Church had ZERO influence over Nazi Germany. Hitler was ANTI-Catholic. As for Germany, only the southern part is largely Catholic. The northern part is mostly Lutheran.
    3. If the Pope was more outspoken than he was, being in the midst of fascist Italy (a state allied with Hitler at the time), don't you think they would have made a move against him?

    People who think that the Pope should have done something like pull out his Superman cape or somethign are just not looking at the situation with any form of reality. In this case, sadly, the same observation regardling Nazi Germany and the Papacy could be akin to remarked made by Philip IV. Philip IV had the military power and had the Pope arrested when he opposed what King Philip was doing. This later led to the Avignon Papacy. Say what you want about popes, but they are generally quite astute about history and surely would have known that the way he could have done the most good was to keep a low profile, oppose what the Nazis were doing, and help as many people as possible.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,360

    Re: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    1. The Pope DID oppose the killing and did a lot to SAVE THE LIVES of large numbers of Jews.
    2. The Catholic Church had ZERO influence over Nazi Germany. Hitler was ANTI-Catholic. As for Germany, only the southern part is largely Catholic. The northern part is mostly Lutheran.
    3. If the Pope was more outspoken than he was, being in the midst of fascist Italy (a state allied with Hitler at the time), don't you think they would have made a move against him?

    People who think that the Pope should have done something like pull out his Superman cape or somethign are just not looking at the situation with any form of reality. In this case, sadly, the same observation regardling Nazi Germany and the Papacy could be akin to remarked made by Philip IV. Philip IV had the military power and had the Pope arrested when he opposed what King Philip was doing. This later led to the Avignon Papacy. Say what you want about popes, but they are generally quite astute about history and surely would have known that the way he could have done the most good was to keep a low profile, oppose what the Nazis were doing, and help as many people as possible.
    I simply do not buy your arguement, Who in heck believes that anyone could " make a move" on the Pope while he sat in Italy.

    The Pope has a lot to say about how the world should lead their lives. Risk HIV rather than have protected sex, no abortion for rape victims. But he is just a weak mortal who is afraid to speak his mind.

    Do you realize you silly and/ or sad your rationalizations sound? If the Pope does not stand for moral authority what exactly does he and his organization stand for?

  7. #57
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    I simply do not buy your arguement, Who in heck believes that anyone could " make a move" on the Pope while he sat in Italy.

    The Pope has a lot to say about how the world should lead their lives. Risk HIV rather than have protected sex, no abortion for rape victims. But he is just a weak mortal who is afraid to speak his mind.

    Do you realize you silly and/ or sad your rationalizations sound? If the Pope does not stand for moral authority what exactly does he and his organization stand for?
    1. You are ignorant of history. Who controlled Italy? Mussolini. Who was he allied with? Hitler. It isn't like there is not a precedent for a state leader to arrest the Pope. It HAS happened before, and by a leader who did not have NEARLY the ruthlessness streak of Hitler and Mussolini. Your statement belies rank ignornace of the situation in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

    2. The Catholic Church DOES stand for moral authority and during WWII, DID speak out against the Holocaust and other abuses of the Nazi Germans, but in a discrete manner. Furthermore, the Catholic Church throughout Nazi-occupied Europe sheltered and protected as many Jews as they conceivably could during the Holocaust (Shoah). Your statements lack any kind of historical knowledge or common sense.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,360

    Re: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    1. You are ignorant of history. Who controlled Italy? Mussolini. Who was he allied with? Hitler. It isn't like there is not a precedent for a state leader to arrest the Pope. It HAS happened before, and by a leader who did not have NEARLY the ruthlessness streak of Hitler and Mussolini. Your statement belies rank ignornace of the situation in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

    I guess part of the reason for my ignorance is that most of my family which was living in Europe at the time did not survive to explain how helpful the Pope was. So I will never know ( nor do you) whether an Itianian army probably 99% Catholic would was stormed the Vatican. By the way which Itianian leader made the Vatican a state?

    2. The Catholic Church DOES stand for moral authority and during WWII, DID speak out against the Holocaust and other abuses of the Nazi Germans, but in a discrete manner. Furthermore, the Catholic Church throughout Nazi-occupied Europe sheltered and protected as many Jews as they conceivably could during the Holocaust (Shoah). Your statements lack any kind of historical knowledge or common sense.
    I guess this point became moot when the news service reported that this Pope did in fact aid a preist stay in his job. The reason esentially being that he did not want to make the church look bad.

    Let your Bishops blame that bad day the Pope had on the Jews.

  9. #59
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    I guess this point became moot when the news service reported that this Pope did in fact aid a preist stay in his job. The reason esentially being that he did not want to make the church look bad.

    Let your Bishops blame that bad day the Pope had on the Jews.
    Once again, I think you either have a reading comprehension problem OR you are willfully misreading what was said. It was NOT being blamed on the Jews, but the media coverage was being compared to Anti-Semitism.

    As for what the news service reports, I often take what they say with a grain of salt. I will have to gather more evidence before I pass judgement. I suggest you do the same.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Pope's preacher compares abuse row to anti-Semitism

    I hate to Goodwin this thread but I had to speak up, before people say the catholics are innocent go back and read up on Ratlines

    It's about time people woke up and see that the Church is not working for the good of the people that worshiped with them.


    Thought him comparing the abuse to Antisemitism is just moronic.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •