Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 446

Thread: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

  1. #141
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    U-3 unemployment is a lagging indicator.
    At 3% growth, "lagging indicator" is an understatement. The last piece I read forcast between 2 and 3% for the entire year. It's going to be a LONG time before we see significant gains in employment, which is why your "job creation in the tune of 300k by summers end, the 'conservative victory tour' will be a wash out" is so amusing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    1.) Your chart is completely off scale and bares no significant value to your argument.
    If you say so

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    2.) You failed to answer my response:
    It's not terribly relevant to anything I've discussed in this thread (the significance of a one month, 162k upswing in jobs) or the thread topic itself.

  2. #142
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    If you say so
    There was no vertical or horizontal scale, nor even an indication of what the data were. Useless.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    There was no vertical or horizontal scale, nor even an indication of what the data were. Useless.
    Of course there are scales. Do you mean axis labels?

    The subject of this thread is jobs. The data pertain to jobs. The horizontal scale is labeled with dates. The chart represents the number the jobs lost since Nov-07. I've convienently provided an arrow pointing to the "upswing" everyone wants to celebrate. Apparently I'm being "partisan" for taking the position that we've hit bottom and haven't pulled ourselves out yet.

  4. #144
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    162,000 Jobs Added in March - Rate Remains 9.7% - NYTimes.com



    The real number is 123,000 jobs, since the temp census jobs don't really count in my opinion. However this is a very good sign. So what is your opinion, are we on the road to recovery or not? What do you base it on?

    Personally, I am hopeful, but I am not prepared to call anything at this time.
    Your post included the figures...unemployment remained at 9.7...and thats WITH people dropping off the roles without finding jobs. Actual unemployment is most likely around 15-17%...in some major cities its above 30%. Mortgage failures are expected to increase.

    Nah...we arent anywhere NEAR on the p[ath to recovery and wont be until the housing market is allowed to actually crash and correct itself.

  5. #145
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Your post included the figures...unemployment remained at 9.7...and thats WITH people dropping off the roles without finding jobs. Actual unemployment is most likely around 15-17%...in some major cities its above 30%. Mortgage failures are expected to increase.

    Nah...we arent anywhere NEAR on the p[ath to recovery and wont be until the housing market is allowed to actually crash and correct itself.
    It may take a decade or more for the housing sector to come back even if they allow it to crash. Without housing there will be no sustained recovery. We really are screwed.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  6. #146
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    What is the obsession "right of center" with blame? All accounts point to a positive sloped trend, and none of you will even acknowledge it. Why?
    162,000 jobs during a month that a ton of TEMPORARY census and government workers were hired is not especially notable, especially since 15 million jobs were lost and 100,000+ new workers come on the market every month.

    Many, many, many companies are still preparing to downsize further.

  7. #147
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,257

    Re: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Of course there are scales. Do you mean axis labels?

    The subject of this thread is jobs. The data pertain to jobs. The horizontal scale is labeled with dates. The chart represents the number the jobs lost since Nov-07. I've convienently provided an arrow pointing to the "upswing" everyone wants to celebrate. Apparently I'm being "partisan" for taking the position that we've hit bottom and haven't pulled ourselves out yet.
    Then show the graph and its source in its entirety.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #148
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,257

    Re: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    162,000 jobs during a month that a ton of TEMPORARY census and government workers were hired is not especially notable, especially since 15 million jobs were lost and 100,000+ new workers come on the market every month.

    Many, many, many companies are still preparing to downsize further.
    So you forecast a negative jobs report for April? In the tune of what?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #149
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Then show the graph and its source in its entirety.
    I made the graph myself. It is historical bls data. Feel free to make your own and prove me wrong.

    U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

  10. #150
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: U.S. Economy Added 162,000 Jobs in March, Most in 3 Years

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    It may take a decade or more for the housing sector to come back even if they allow it to crash. Without housing there will be no sustained recovery. We really are screwed.
    Ayyyyyyup. Thats pretty much my opinion too.

    The thing is...we would be about 4 years into recovery right now if they had just let it do its thing...as it is..we keep artificially staving it off as if it isnt going to happen.

Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •