Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Vatican defends handling of Wisconsin priest

  1. #21
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican defends handling of Wisconsin priest

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    My point was the bolded part.
    And the Marquette professor has access to information the Vatican doesn't? How would HE know what the Vatican knew in the 1970s. Does he have any evidence? First, the Vatican says it didn't know. Second, there is no evidence that they did know. Third, there is no REASON for them to know under the rules that were in place at the time.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  2. #22
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican defends handling of Wisconsin priest

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Okay fair enough. I do think there is reasonable doubt though as to the church's dealing with pedophile priests in the past to cast suspicion.
    The Vatican admits to not taking action when it learned of this in the 1990s, but it also gave the reasons. There was no point in forcing a canon law trial on a priest when he would pass away before the conclusion of such a trial. Furthermore, this article notes that a local canon law trial (the proper jurisdiction for this matter) was pending on his death.

    So, what is wrong with the way the Vatican handled this?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #23
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Vatican defends handling of Wisconsin priest

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai
    And the Marquette professor has access to information the Vatican doesn't? How would HE know what the Vatican knew in the 1970s. Does he have any evidence? First, the Vatican says it didn't know. Second, there is no evidence that they did know. Third, there is no REASON for them to know under the rules that were in place at the time.
    I don't think either of us are in a position to say that there is no evidence that they did know.

    And I don't really care enough about this to look into it and show that you're wrong, so I'll let others do it for me.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  4. #24
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican defends handling of Wisconsin priest

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    .... The Catholic Church sure is a weird place. All that dogma that gets pushed out directly to priests and most Catholics agree with it and know about it and support it and everybody knows what is going on. 200 kids get molested over a few years and nobody in the Vatican has ever heard of it.
    We don't agree with the molestation of children. That this priest did this in the Confessional is absolutely inexcusable. I don't know anyone who defends the behavior. It is not defensible.

    Once again, people don't seem to understand how the structure of the Church works. Priestly violations such as this are to be handled by diocesan Church authorities in accordance with Canon Law. According to this article, there WAs a Canon Law trial pending at the diocesan level when the priest died.

    Without proof that the Vatican knew, you can simply assume that they knew, especially when structurally, there is absolutely no reason for them to know.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: Vatican defends handling of Wisconsin priest

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    We don't agree with the molestation of children. That this priest did this in the Confessional is absolutely inexcusable. I don't know anyone who defends the behavior. It is not defensible.

    Once again, people don't seem to understand how the structure of the Church works. Priestly violations such as this are to be handled by diocesan Church authorities in accordance with Canon Law. According to this article, there WAs a Canon Law trial pending at the diocesan level when the priest died.

    Without proof that the Vatican knew, you can simply assume that they knew, especially when structurally, there is absolutely no reason for them to know.
    Let's take a wider view of this type of transgression. I don't think anyone knows the full extent of this. Probably hundreds or thousands of priests involved in this despickable act.

    How many did the church turn over to the local police? Why does this church think it is above the law.

    If it wasn't for politics these leaders would probably be charged with RICO violations, like mafia leaders and all thrown in jail.

  6. #26
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Vatican defends handling of Wisconsin priest

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Let's take a wider view of this type of transgression. I don't think anyone knows the full extent of this. Probably hundreds or thousands of priests involved in this despickable act.

    How many did the church turn over to the local police? Why does this church think it is above the law.

    If it wasn't for politics these leaders would probably be charged with RICO violations, like mafia leaders and all thrown in jail.
    According to other article on this story, the local authorities DID know but no one pressed charges.

    Please understand, I am not defending the behavior and YES they should be subject to civil law authorities. However, in the rush to judgement against the VATICAN, people are not looking at all of the facts nor are they attempting to understand how the Catholic Church works.

    One more thing I DO NOT know but would like to -- how much of this came to the attention of local Church officials in the Confessional. If THAT is where this came to light, then Church officials in the diocese would be perfectly justified in terms of both civil and Canon law in NOT telling authorities or anyone else about it.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •