Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 124

Thread: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

  1. #81
    In a house by the river
    MetalGear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Denmark, Grena
    Last Seen
    05-16-11 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,233

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    If this is a private school, then the phrase is perfectly legal and fine and the students have no basis for their argument.

    If it is a public school, the exact opposite is true.
    Just because it isn't illegal, doesn't mean she doesn't have a legit cause or argument.

    The argument i would use is:

    "Clearly you are against the phrase Our Lord in your diploma.....you where also signed up to the school with a knowledge of its Christian roots, and as a private school its something we have to respect and its something, had you not have known this at the time, that you should have been aware of if you properly researched it prior to joining the school. Therefore your argument to remove the wording from your diploma has very little sympathy from me and the fact that you should find yourself in the situation of having the phrase Our Lord on your diploma is the fault of nobody other than your own".
    Last edited by MetalGear; 04-01-10 at 11:26 AM.

  2. #82
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes actually. Both in lit classes and history they should be taught. Comparative religion classes are not taught enough at the high school level, but it would be appropriate there as well.
    I teach about Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam in a historical context in my high school classes in addition to Buddhism... Why SHOULDN'T they be taught in school?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #83
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Would have been hard to be born in 0 CE as there was no such year...
    I wish all the goobs who celbrated the end of the 2nd millenium on Dec. 31, 1999 instead of Dec. 31, 2000 would understand that.

  4. #84
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I wish all the goobs who celbrated the end of the 2nd millenium on Dec. 31, 1999 instead of Dec. 31, 2000 would understand that.
    I have been fighting this losing battle against the sheep for a decade...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #85
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I teach about Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam in a historical context in my high school classes in addition to Buddhism... Why SHOULDN'T they be taught in school?
    Depends on whether you are teaching it, or teaching about it. And whether you know the difference.

  6. #86
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I have been fighting this losing battle against the sheep for a decade...
    Not a decade yet. On Dec. 31, 2000 it will be a decade.

  7. #87
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Liberalism???? Are you SURE that is what it is???? The dude is a muslim. He is part of terrorist religion.

    OR.... could it just be an athiest movement?
    Are most atheists liberal or conservative?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #88
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Depends on whether you are teaching it, or teaching about it. And whether you know the difference.
    Of course I know the difference, and I am teaching BOTH because without understanding the basics of the faith, you can't truly understand the history that these faiths relate to nor can you understand their importance in the world today.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #89
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Not a decade yet. On Dec. 31, 2000 it will be a decade.
    Actually, I started the fight BEFORE the true start of the 21st century..
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #90
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I teach about Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam in a historical context in my high school classes in addition to Buddhism... Why SHOULDN'T they be taught in school?
    NO clue. I think it would be a shame to not teach it. Especially in a history class, where you cannot understand why things happened without that knowledge.

    By the way, I loved history in high school. A good history teacher is a great thing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •