Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 124

Thread: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

  1. #51
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    These aren't children, they are legal adults. They have every right to speak up if they disagree with the way their school handles things. They are paying customers for their education, and have every right to question what happens with their money. While the owners of the school have the ultimate authority, the students should be encourage to communicate their desire to the administration.
    An 18 year old 95% are mental children that may have legal rights but they are not (rightfully so) respected for their opinion. They generally dont know ****.

    Also..... understand they are NOT customers there. They are students that have a PRIVILEGE to go there. It is a privilege. They have the right to learn or to get the heck out. Period.
    Last edited by The Giant Noodle; 03-31-10 at 09:23 PM.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  2. #52
    Advisor LiveUninhibited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-11-10 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    549

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    Since when do "customers" go to the school for 4 years, then bitch and moan about 2 words at the school they are "customers" for, while never taking into consideration that they are at TRINITY UNIVERSTIY!!!!

    Did they wake up at the age of 22 and say "Oh look, we have been going to a Christian school for 4 years. Did you know this? We should tell someone. Yeah! Lets stick it to the college we didn't know we were attending for 48 months!"

    Next they are going to go to mass and cry, piss, and moan that the priest is talking about God.

    Why do people try and rationalzie stupidity like this?

    Walk up on stage, get your 8 x 11" piece of paper and go the **** home. Your not gonna change the world with your panzy ass little hissy fit about a couple of words. Obviously these students didn't do enough work while at college to have time to piss and moan about 2 words like this. everyone has some stupid cause they want to fight for nowadays. Shut up, go home and get a real ****ing job.
    If you've ever had employment that involved selling people something, you would know that customers aren't always rational or reasonable. But the rational response of the private university would be to offer custom diplomas for an extra fee.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That doesn't really make sense. We use the BC/AD notation for keeping track of years. AD stand for Anno Dominem which I think means "in the year of our lord".
    Hence Common Era notation:

    Common Era - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    But that's just getting kind of anal. We still talk about sunrise and sunset even though we know the sun isn't actually moving around the Earth - so why care about whether our system of time has to do with Jesus or if Jesus was actually born in 0 CE?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    So you assume:

    1. This student, who attended this conservative Christian school, is a "liberal."
    2. His objection is to religion, rather than motivated by his own strongly held religious beleifs.
    3. He's trying to "force" something.

    Hmm.
    lol yeah... probably a negative correlation between liberal and muslim.

  3. #53
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    You are there to learn. You have no business in wasting your time in something OTHER than what you are there for. Your purpose is to learn there. Nothing more. Now what YOU did was related to academics. This topic we are speaking about NOW has NOTHING to do with that. (good job BTW)

    If you were my kid and I was paying for your schooling and I found out you were involved in some crap like this I would pull you out ASAP.

    Kids have to learn life lessons. Just like if you are at work.... you DONT worry about what other people are doing. You worry about YOUR job and YOUR work. You never ever complain to the boss or upper management about goofy crap like this. (unless you want to get fired soon) That is NOT your job.

    If you dont like it..... go to ANOTHER school. Stop wasting the time of the school and focus on the ONLY thing that should be important to you.
    OK maybe my example wasn't the best because it was academic, and thanks it didn't take long to get them to agree to a compromise. But I still feel I have a responsibility as a student of my school to inform the school of what I think is wrong.

    Now I probably wouldn't go to the Dean of the School to complain about what my diploma says because to be honest I don't care what it says because I am not going to read it. All I need the diploma to do is say I graduated from my school. But it still doesn't change the fact that if I feel the school isn't doing something right that I have a responsibility as a student to inform them. And I know I could go up to the Dean and talk with him about. It doesn't mean he will agree or it will change, but as a student I have the right to voice my opinion on the school's actions.

  4. #54
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    So many people on DP seem very keen on the pronouncements of the 'Founders' of the US. Didn't the Founders (Washinton, Jefferson et al) decree that there should be a separation of church and state? Didn't they say that, "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"?

    Isn't pledging allegiance to a nation "under God" doing just that? If not, shouldn't the pledge refer to a nation also under Yahwey, Allah, the Buddha nature and the Hindu pantheon?

    Didn't Jefferson also say, "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."?

    When you say that "only the most fringe elements want to remove the words, "under God" are you referring to all those who don't recognise a Christian God?

    Just asking.
    The separation of church and state means that there would be no "officially" enforced or sanctioned religion. There was such warning given about separating the nation or the government from God or a god.

    But I was not there and I did not see any video so was it really said or did some liberals just make it up !!!! LOL
    I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us f107HyperSabr

  5. #55
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    OK maybe my example wasn't the best because it was academic, and thanks it didn't take long to get them to agree to a compromise. But I still feel I have a responsibility as a student of my school to inform the school of what I think is wrong.

    Now I probably wouldn't go to the Dean of the School to complain about what my diploma says because to be honest I don't care what it says because I am not going to read it. All I need the diploma to do is say I graduated from my school. But it still doesn't change the fact that if I feel the school isn't doing something right that I have a responsibility as a student to inform them. And I know I could go up to the Dean and talk with him about. It doesn't mean he will agree or it will change, but as a student I have the right to voice my opinion on the school's actions.
    Well it sounds like you are in the 5% of a young guy that I would entrust things to.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  6. #56
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Idiots should have considered that prior to ya know... enrolling in a University with such a Religious Past.

    I hope the Board tells em to piss off. I know here in twon most people are shaking their heads at this silliness.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #57
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveUninhibited View Post
    lol yeah... probably a negative correlation between liberal and muslim.
    Well, that's another assumption, but a better one.

  8. #58
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Idiots should have considered that prior to ya know... enrolling in a University with such a Religious Past.

    I hope the Board tells em to piss off. I know here in twon most people are shaking their heads at this silliness.
    I did shake my head..... then I called the assistant to the VP and told her how I feel. Whether it amounts to anything I do not know. (i didnt tell them I was a noodle)
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  9. #59
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,269
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    So many people on DP seem very keen on the pronouncements of the 'Founders' of the US. Didn't the Founders (Washinton, Jefferson et al) decree that there should be a separation of church and state? Didn't they say that, "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"?

    Isn't pledging allegiance to a nation "under God" doing just that? If not, shouldn't the pledge refer to a nation also under Yahwey, Allah, the Buddha nature and the Hindu pantheon?

    Didn't Jefferson also say, "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."?

    When you say that "only the most fringe elements want to remove the words, "under God" are you referring to all those who don't recognise a Christian God?

    Just asking.
    The "separation of church and state" is not actually in the constitution, but is the court's interpretation(correctly to my mind) of the constitution. I think the distinction between favoring or promoting a religion is bad, but simply mentioning god is not. The words "under god" are not an attempt to establish a state religion, nor does it interfere with any ones free exercise of their religion. It probably is, very technically, a mistake to have it there, but there is no real harm from it, and not worth the effort to remove.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #60
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: College Students Want 'Our Lord' Phrase Off Diplomas

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The words "under god" are not an attempt to establish a state religion, nor does it interfere with any ones free exercise of their religion.
    Depends on where you say it. I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you don't see how a government employee leading a bunch of young children to take an oath that declares them to be "under God" could be considered to be respecting an establishment of religion?

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •