Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

  1. #1
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    Link
    Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    Quote from article(Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper told U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton that Canada's military mission in Afghanistan will end in 2011.

    Clinton went on Canadian television on Monday and said the U.S. would like Canadian troops to remain in Afghanistan past 2011 and suggested they could switch from a combat to a training role.)

    What gives the clinton woman the right to suggest another Country should abide by her wishes.

    Good luck to Canada, very likely the only Democratic believing Country left in North America.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    I can understand the concern because Karzai is just now seeing the necessary stability in his nation. Pulling out right now is probably a bad idea.

    On the other hand, it's Canada. Big deal. I'm surprised they sent over anybody at all. Even so, their military ranks somewhere between the Hawaii state militia and a competitive paintball tournament team.

  3. #3
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    Quote Originally Posted by jujuman13 View Post
    Link
    Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    Quote from article(Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper told U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton that Canada's military mission in Afghanistan will end in 2011.

    Clinton went on Canadian television on Monday and said the U.S. would like Canadian troops to remain in Afghanistan past 2011 and suggested they could switch from a combat to a training role.)

    What gives the clinton woman the right to suggest another Country should abide by her wishes.

    Good luck to Canada, very likely the only Democratic believing Country left in North America.
    It's called diplomacy. Happens all the time.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  4. #4
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I can understand the concern because Karzai is just now seeing the necessary stability in his nation. Pulling out right now is probably a bad idea.

    On the other hand, it's Canada. Big deal. I'm surprised they sent over anybody at all. Even so, their military ranks somewhere between the Hawaii state militia and a competitive paintball tournament team.
    141 Canadian soldiers have died since we have been involved, and it's pathetic to know that to some ignorants, they died in vain. The Canadians have been instrumental in Afghanistan, so next time, please refrain from making asinine statments without knowing anything about the situation.

    I doubt you will care, but here's a link to the fallen soldiers:

    CBC News In Depth: Afghanistan
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    why should the canadians, heroes of juno beach, risk their lives in support of obama's characteristically incoherent strategy in the region where the president openly proclaims his top priority is to eradicate al qaeda, authors of 9-11, which his own centcom declares is in pakistan, NOT kandahar?

  6. #6
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I can understand the concern because Karzai is just now seeing the necessary stability in his nation. Pulling out right now is probably a bad idea.

    On the other hand, it's Canada. Big deal. I'm surprised they sent over anybody at all. Even so, their military ranks somewhere between the Hawaii state militia and a competitive paintball tournament team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    141 Canadian soldiers have died since we have been involved, and it's pathetic to know that to some ignorants, they died in vain. The Canadians have been instrumental in Afghanistan, so next time, please refrain from making asinine statments without knowing anything about the situation.

    I doubt you will care, but here's a link to the fallen soldiers:

    CBC News In Depth: Afghanistan
    I have to side with Middleground on this one. Pretty tacky to disparage a country who sends troops to help the fight in Afghanistan. I don't tolerate when Americans are the target, and I won't when it's one of our allies, either.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  7. #7
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,894
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    141 Canadian soldiers have died since we have been involved, and it's pathetic to know that to some ignorants, they died in vain. The Canadians have been instrumental in Afghanistan, so next time, please refrain from making asinine statments without knowing anything about the situation.

    I doubt you will care, but here's a link to the fallen soldiers:

    CBC News In Depth: Afghanistan
    Geez, thats irrelevant, everyone knows that this is an american war, and they're the only ones doing anything relevant in it
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    On the other hand, it's Canada. Big deal. I'm surprised they sent over anybody at all. Even so, their military ranks somewhere between the Hawaii state militia and a competitive paintball tournament team.
    I could not disagree more strongly. Canada has made an important contribution in Afghanistan. Almost 150 of Canada's soldiers have died there. Moreover, even as Canada's military is small, it is highly competent.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    Hell, we've lost more troops than that in a weekend in Iraq. I'm trying not to go to the Stalin "million deaths are a statistic" rhetoric, but bringing up that number is more enforcing to my argument than yours.

    And you're right. I don't care.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Canada tells Clinton troops are leaving

    Not new

    The Canadian government has made it quite clear the combat mission for Can troops was going to end in 2011 for around 2 years now.

    It was something the Can government decided back during the Bush Admin, the US government knew about it then, and still knows about it.

    What Clinton is/was pushing for it a change in the policy or having some of the Can troops remain in a different role
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •